Game-Labs Forum
Christian Archer

Bovenwinds Yard Power - what EXACTLY does this do?

I asked in nation and everybody seemed to have plenty of ideas but nobody seemed to have any clue:

• Some people think it's 5% more power on sails draped from a yard. (If this is the case, why haven't Game Labs used the "square sails power" descriptor as found on the Spanish Rig Refit? Does Bovenwinds perhaps affect the triangular sails from the Requin's yards also?)
  • Others think it's 5% more yard turn rate. (If this is the case, why haven't Game Labs used the "yard turn speed" descriptor as found on the British Rig Refit?)
  • Somebody thought it was 5% more power on square sails which only effects turn rate. (Makes no sense to me how this would be programmed especially since a Spanish rig massively improves both turn rate and speed on boats with big square sails.)

I used the forum search function and found @admin has used the phrase "yard power" in various discussions but seemingly in multiple contexts, not really affording a clear answer to this Bovenwinds-specific question.

So, I figured I'd be better off asking here in the hopes of an answer from the devs. What does 5% more yard power do to a boat?

• Like 5

It's turning power from the sails placed on a yard.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2020 at 10:23 AM, Barberouge said:

Sry to be dense, but you mean like it will help me turn faster using the manual sails than without it using manual sails (as opposed to turn rate which i understand to be turning rate due to rudder deflection)? 

On 3/8/2020 at 3:23 PM, Barberouge said:

Turning power = turning speed? or how should I see this

20 minutes ago, Je maintiendrai said:

to bring the square sails faster in position (doesn't mean that you turn fast) to make better use of the wind. for turning you need better trims and or a better Spanker too.

2 minutes ago, van stiermarken said:

to bring the square sails faster in position (doesn't mean that you turn fast) to make better use of the wind. for turning you need better trims and or a better Spanker too.

yes so its Yard turning speed? xD

yard is the rotation speed of the actual masts.. pretty useless modifier actually. because the ships with really slow turning of masts turn like lead bricks making the yard speed irrelevant. 

2 minutes ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

yard is the rotation speed of the actual masts.. pretty useless modifier actually. because the ships with really slow turning of masts turn like lead bricks making the yard speed irrelevant. 

Then why is "Yard Turning Power" not used like it is on British Rig Refit?

On 3/10/2020 at 4:24 AM, GrubbyZebra said:

Sry to be dense, but you mean like it will help me turn faster using the manual sails than without it using manual sails (as opposed to turn rate which i understand to be turning rate due to rudder deflection)? 

Yes, when the manual sails are used, the ship turns faster.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:33 AM, Je maintiendrai said:

Yes, turning speed, turn rate due to manual sails.

British Rig improves the speed of orientation of the yards. Bovenwinds improves the turning of the ship.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2020 at 6:46 PM, Barberouge said:

British Rig improves the speed of orientation of the yards. Bovenwinds improves the turning of the ship.

I beg to differ, Spanish refit on the other hand... I did not do much testing, but with limited things i've done the mythical "Yard power" changed nothing