Game-Labs Forum

Constitution and her rating

On 1/8/2020 at 7:03 PM, John Cavanaugh said:

Even here beloved Cherubim/Frigate is forgotten

i could have taken it over pirate frigate, but its just an example 😛 i didnt want to sit there all night filling it out  considering it would be overlooked anyway :P even the wappen

Edited by erelkivtuadrater

On 1/3/2020 at 4:32 PM, FenrirSombrer said:

The Napoleonic era Ship rating that I quoted lasted until after the war of 1812 (lasted until about 1815 I believe).
The constitution is only able to Rival 3rd rates due to her speed, and is outgunned by every (to my knowledge) 3rd rate aside from her sister the USS United States. That said there are many 4th rates that have a heavier broadside than her as well, I believe only the Indefatigable has a smaller broadside than her in the 4th rates.

The Indefatigable started life as a 64-gun Ardent class 3rd rate (e.g. Agamemnon), but the version we have in game is the razeed 44-gun frigate version. 

I think the United States, Constitution, and Indefatigable should all be the same rank in game (4th rate, tbh), as in the game they are more or less comparable ships. And, since the Agamemnon (which the Indefatigable is a razeed version of essentially) is a 4th rate in game, as opposed to a 3rd rate, then that means the 3 frigates should be 5th rates.

Edited by GrubbyZebra

The solution seems simple to me.

1. Move the connie/uss to 4th rate.

2. Nerf the connie/uss's structure/hitpoints to be in line with other 4th rates in game.

3. Adjust BR accordingly.

The USS/Connie as 3rd rates feel very undercrewed, and the broadside weight is underwhelming as a 3rd rate.

Maybe then we can hear the end of the Connie threads...  :P

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 10:25 PM, admin said:

Its a hard decision as its very hard to go away from the canon of the british rating system (abandoned in the early 19th)
Constitution is stronger than any frigate and its build strength make this ship rival 3rd rates. 
On the other hand its not a third rate.

The only in-game-3rd rate it does actually rival is the United States. It is simply a ship that does not really belong in 3rd or 4th, even though it shares more characteristics with the 4th in-game-4th-rated ships. Only thing it can do better than ingame 3rd rates is running away, which is sad, because it is a beautiful ship. 

Thing is, if it was in 4th rate, it would not be as overpowered as Redoutable and Implacable in 3rd, so why not put it back in 4th, make it a valuable ship again instead of letting it rot in a tier it can hardly compete in?

On 1/3/2020 at 9:25 PM, admin said:

Its a hard decision as its very hard to go away from the canon of the british rating system (abandoned in the early 19th)
Constitution is stronger than any frigate and its build strength make this ship rival 3rd rates. 
On the other hand its not a third rate.

You created your own rating system with the BR stat. Why not tune events/missions etc to that?