Game-Labs Forum

Ability to leave battles - Dropped sails

Option to leave battle after 15 min 0% sails?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. After one's sails are lowered to 0% for 15-20 minutes, with no hull hits being scored by the player during the time, he gets the option to leave the battle

• Good idea
    • Bad idea
    • Other (post below)

Looking at griefing / being kept in battles:

Suggestion:
After one's sails are lowered to 0% for 15-20 minutes, with no hull hits being scored by the player during the time, he gets the option to leave the battle

Eliminates griefing and being kept in a battle for 90 min with no actual engagement happening, just the odd mast hit from 1km (without doing any damage) every now and then.

-> Less tribunal cases

Can't see any downsides.

• Like 3

1. Dont think this "griefing" problem is as big as some people here think it is ...

2. Wont Help, If the opponent has to put down Sails to 0% for 15 min a small ship Like a Prince can round him an place single shots in his stern ... If He try to avoid this He had to use His Sails ...

OK it may Work when a Prince is Holding a herc in Battle (because herc can raise Sails and turn quick) but wont help a Santi hold in Battle by a Prince ...

6 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

1. Dont think this "griefing" problem is as big as some people here think it is ...

2. Wont Help, If the opponent has to put down Sails to 0% for 15 min a small ship Like a Prince can round him an place single shots in his stern ... If He try to avoid this He had to use His Sails ...

OK it may Work when a Prince is Holding a herc in Battle (because herc can raise Sails and turn quick) but wont help a Santi hold in Battle by a Prince ...

You should try and propose a better suggestion, instead of providing only criticism :'D

Edited by Never

40 minutes ago, Cursed Monkey said:

In addition to escaping battle, it would be nice if the one who escaped actually spawned out of view range of where the battle took place. This will remove problem with continous re-taging for several hours straight.

Always thought it was silly being spawned out in the same spot where the tag happened when in battle you have sailed miles and miles away from that spot. 

• Like 3

As someone who has been held in battles by a fir/fir DLC ship for 3 hours (actually wasted my day) more than once , i fully support this idea and would even say 5 minutes as that gives plenty of time for someone to catch up to anyone they're actually pursuing and can't be abused 

OR if it has to be 15 minutes there should be some kind of protection (either spawn out of visual or just not be able to be tagged by same griefer repeatedly) coz the current system is being abused by people with alts on laptops etc . I know some smarta**es here will say it can easily be avoided but that's BS . If you are pulled in battle like this by someone who's got no intention of fighting and has a purpose built dlc ship fir/fir with some cheap mods , there is NOTHING you can do like suppose you're in a trinc or ratvisan or whatever and you're getting tagged by a speedcapped hermione

Another alternative is make it so that mast hits that don't penn do not tag the enemy therfore if you're sitting with your sails down you can't be tagged 

Edited by John Sheppard
  • Like 1

after sails being lowered to 0% you automatically surrender the battle.. We all know there is a clear winner and IF the player who did the demast would accept the loser keeps his ship he can drag it to a port and give it back.. The other rule is for the weak.

6 minutes ago, Koveras said:

after sails being lowered to 0% you automatically surrender the battle.. We all know there is a clear winner and IF the player who did the demast would accept the loser keeps his ship he can drag it to a port and give it back.. The other rule is for the weak.

0% sails not as in demasted but just lowered to zero (eg. Full/slow/battle/stop sails)

Is this a wide spread frequent problem?  How often is this happening to each player?  I've never been held in battle.  I don't doubt that it happens, but is it occurring daily to some players, or every week, or once or twice a year.  The issue is likey more critical for solo players.  A squadron could include ships to address taggers while the main group escaped.

I like Monkey's and Never's point.  Players remaining in battle should not respawn at the point where they were tagged.  Personally, I would use all of my available time and sail as far as possible, in the instance, to re-emerge at a point far from where I was attacked.

Edited by Macjimm

4 hours ago, Macjimm said:

I like Monkey's and Never's point.  Players remaining in battle should not respawn at the point where they were tagged.  Personally, I would use all of my available time and sail as far as possible, in the instance, to re-emerge at a point far from where I was attacked

@admin advised previously (somewhere in my fading memory) that there are map compatibility  problems with coming out of Battle Instance into OW e.g. finding yourself locked in shallows or half way up a mountain!  However, a solution might now be to come out of battle instance at the nearest AI 'fixed route line' or turn point for your ship design (now that AI ships don't pass through land anymore). Guess its an effort to game benefit balance issue; you might get some odd results (emerging on wrong side of Cuba etc.) and associated exploits.

Buster (that's my effort)

Edited by Busterbloodvessel
added " or turn point"
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Koveras said:

Arh, well that's different. Still, dropping sails is for the weak!

what? why? Where is the difference between sailing at 100% all the time, not catching the enemy and get a hit on your rigging every now and then, and just stopping with sails down?