Game-Labs Forum

how to catch these pretty fast traderships

Salty Sails

In the britsih campaign, if you were able to board the 3rd rate, you have access to a boni mission called treasure fleet, there you have to hutn and capture 2 trader ships.

My problem is:

1. im not able to catch them because of slow ships(with cannons) in my fleet.

2. if i unmount cannons to be very fast, i dont have the numbers of crew to board them. biggest ship is diana class for me. Not sure, what boarding mods they use, its makes no sense to try a fight against over 400 men on the traderships.

And this is on easy mod.

Or am i missing anything in the campaign to finish this mission?

Same counts for US campaign, when you have to board 3 special trader. The first ship is too fast, or its impossible to board it for me.

Edited by Salty Sails

The ai is obsessed with retreating troop transports and will often run them to the edge. I have not been able to catch them either using only Chapter 2 ships in the bonus mission. However, they do not need to be captured. All you have to do is destroy the enemy fleet and retreated ships count as sunk. However, if you do capture them, you'll get 10k supplies which is quite nice for money especially in the US campaign.

For the US, I am stuck due to bugs at the Nantucket battle so not entirely sure I've gotten to that battle. However, I have been able to capture every troop transport throughout the campaign even when it faster than me so I imagine it is possible especially if the objective says you must board. 

3 hours ago, Salty Sails said:

In the britsih campaign, if you were able to board the 3rd rate, you have access to a boni mission called treasure fleet, there you have to hutn and capture 2 trader ships.

My problem is:

1. im not able to catch them because of slow ships(with cannons) in my fleet.

2. if i unmount cannons to be very fast, i dont have the numbers of crew to board them. biggest ship is diana class for me. Not sure, what boarding mods they use, its makes no sense to try a fight against over 400 men on the traderships.

And this is on easy mod.

Or am i missing anything in the campaign to finish this mission?

Same counts for US campaign, when you have to board 3 special trader. The first ship is too fast, or its impossible to board it for me.

I agree with you.  First I will mention, I won every battle in the current British campaign normal difficulty.  At this current time I won every battle in the American campaign up to and I am stopped at Blockade where you have to board at least one of the three transports that seem to have 80 Super fighting marines on each of them and the game tells me that I need to get at least one of them and then run away.

I lost this battle 4 times in a row and I will keep trying which might be madness for me which is not what a game should be.

It looks like the way they set this up is we need to get that 1st transport however the AI has the wind and is put in the right place to out run me to the border.  No matter what ship I place 1st I can't cut that ship off, also that 1 war ship interferes with my ships so that 1st transport retreats off the map every time or has such a lead it always runs off the map. How many times must I try to get lucky enough to catch it?

The other two transports come with several war ships to protect them and I tried many times to board one,  I had 2 ships onto boarding one of them so I had about a total of 360 men between the 2 ships and that transport only lost 3 men and wiped out my 2 ships and the AI captured my two ships.  I know those other war ships are blasting away at my ships while I am trying to board which does play a part in me losing and that is why that 1st transport is so important which must be the key to success which I can't obtain at this point.

I must say we are not suppose to have a big battle here to fight all those war ships while the transports retreat and even if I am lucky enough to catch one of the last two I already mentioned what happened and I lose.

The main point of this battle looks to me is to get one and run and the DEV teases us with the 1st transport but give us no good fair way to get it and the other two are super protected by a bunch of war ships and have SUPER British marines on all of them., so what gives?  I would vote that this is the worst battle set up in the campaign. I know someone on here told the DEV they wanted the AI to have the wind and make it so if we don't have a super fast large enough ship then let the AI run away and beat us and I think that is just what the DEV did. I know these are bold statements and I am not the best player but if I find a way to beat every battle so far but not this one does that make me a bad player overall or is this battle hosed?

Edited by doublebuck

Hey, I just tried it 2 more times and I have to say the DEV needs to make those 3 transports slower than 12 nots and needs to not put SUPER marines of 80 men on those ships.  They lose 1 or 2 men and I lose hundreds of men and 2 ships also those marines shoot muskets at my ship as it approaches and my 160 men get into shock well why don't my men shoot muskets at that 80 and hurt at least 1 of them?  It sucks to shoot cannon at that ship and not 1 marine dies on that transport yet they shoot muskets and kill and shock a lot of my men.  Plus it seems the transports are way too big and way too fast and my 12 nots war ships can't catch them.  If I even get close they shoot muskets at me and pull away making this mission a nightmare.

For me this is a game breaking battle, it ends my campaign in failure and I can't progress.  I won every battle but this one so what does that tell you?  For me, it needs to be balanced in such a way an average player under normal difficulty should be able to figure it out how to win that battle or at least be able too.

I think Naval Blockade is ridiculous.  That 1st transport is the one we should be able to get fairly easy for the other two are protected by too many war ships let alone if you had only that one transport to deal with it would take all 4 of my ships to take it over and that of course depends on even if all 4 ships could even catch up to it.  To say that I am pissed off about this is an understatement.

I don't feel like playing an easy American campaign just to see if I could get through this battle and move forward in the campaign. To make a battle such as this one based on luck and game breaking is silly.  The game tells you to basically get one and retreat so make the dame mission possible to get that 1st transport so we can at least have that so we can move on and if a great player wants to get the other two then let them have that challenge on their own or up to each player but don't make this so hard that a average player can't win it. So now I tried that battle 6 times in total and failed.  What's would be so bad in your DEV eyes to at least give us a fair chance to capture that 1st transport so we may decide at that point for those whom would want to retreat and move on in the campaign and for those whom want it harder let them be the ones that would go after the two protected transports but as you have it now it is nearly impossible for me to even capture one now maybe there will be someone that can do it but what about the many that won't be able to do it and when they get to this part of the campaign and can't move on and if they could at that point refund the game they probably would so for me it seems like it is too hard to accomplish and that is game breaking in my POV.

Edited by doublebuck

5 minutes ago, sterner said:

We will check your case.

Thank you.  I have 6 videos of my failure which I won't put on you tube because I end up swearing into it so I will delete them but what I wrote is so true so you can read my discuss with this mission.  Thank you again for wanting to look into this for this is not a bug report it is brought up cause I can't continued the campaign although I could avoid this battle and do the Norfolk mission instead of this one but I don't know if then the game would force me to do this one in order for me to move on which would be a nightmare as I mentioned.

5 hours ago, sterner said:

We will check your case.

Thx for checking! 

Maybe balance the speed, Crew (Numbers) or postion in battle from traders. 

Both battles are not much fun atm.

These kind of battles must be like the mission from UGCW, where you have to capture 3 supply wagons. It’s not easy to take them, but it’s possible without a fight against the US Army! You have decide if you want to fight the enemy troops or not after the captured wagons! o7

Edited by Salty Sails

Guess what folks, I just tried another 3 times on normal difficulty Naval Blockade and I am telling you, you should fire whomever came up with this battle.  First off, I send 3 war ships at about 12 nots with the wind trying to cut off that 1st transport. I use one cutter with explosives to destroy the one protecting it because I don't that ship interfering with my 3 ships on a race to the border.  I tried 9 times and it gets away but one time I had one ship reach it by luck but that 80 super men on it wiped my 160 ship and then went to the border.  I even tried to deploy from my 2 nearby ships to take my empty ship back and stopped movement and they would not deploy said high sea and that made me mad so at that point I only had 2 ships left which is pointless.

If you wanted us to catch that 1st transport then you should make it so we can. Simply as that.  If you're left to go after the other two then that is even more ridiculous.  I can tell you how it goes you get blasted by their war ships and the two transports hang around and those 80 marines on them are like supermen that shoot your ships crew get shocked and every time I been there my ships surrender and campaign ends.  DEV you really screwed up this battle.

I have 9 videos showing failure on what should be an easy battle. The game tells you capture one and retreat and it shows you one alone with 1 war ship so that is the one that the game thinks you should be able to get it but they made it the fasts ship on that ocean and they put 80 supermen with special powers that shoot and shock any ship that gets close while it sails away out of bounds.  I want to know why this is so?  In every other battle in this entire game so far does not behave like this. Now,  I do realize at this point in the campaign I don't have the tech for boarding kit however in every other battle if you have the numbers you can take over a ship in general maybe not all the time but most of the time.

I played Britain campaign all battles on easy and normal and partly on hard and won every battle in the campaign to date.  Because I done that I am familiar with the game.

I now am playing American campaign and won every battle on normal difficulty until this battle I even played the next battle after this one which is Norfolk and can win it but then it is this one in waiting for me to do it but I fail every time and then my campaign ends in failure.  I keep trying because I am hoping to get somehow lucky enough to get past this stupid battle and continue the campaign. Why should this battle be the one thing that stops my campaign?  I love this game and want to continue playing it.  I may try it some more  in vain and will be back complaining about it probably.

Edited by doublebuck

We have found 2 issues thanks to your and others reports.

1. Transport has wrong speed parameters.

2. Boarding upgrade has a bug that makes it overpowered.

We will fix parameter and remove temporary upgrade in upcoming patch.

I would like to remind that the game is still in development and can not warranty that everything works. Please report about any weird situation in the game, because it can be a bug.

48 minutes ago, sterner said:

We have found 2 issues thanks to your and others reports.

1. Transport has wrong speed parameters.

2. Boarding upgrade has a bug that makes it overpowered.

We will fix parameter and remove temporary upgrade in upcoming patch.

I would like to remind that the game is still in development and can not warranty that everything works. Please report about any weird situation in the game, because it can be a bug.

Is that bug for both missions? Brit and US Campaign? 

Thx! 👍

We know and we will! ✌️

Edited by Salty Sails

Patch for us campaign is released.

Regarding British campaign better if you report because we can find name of the mission in report. Now I have to think which mission from many it is, because we have many bonus missions with indiamans. I hope that I understand  which mission you mention and will check.

14 hours ago, sterner said:

It is confirmed for US campaign. Please report if you have the issue in British campaign.

My issue is in the US as confirmed in the Naval Blockade X9 I failed it. I did do a F12 but I was in an angry state that I couldn't deploy a unit to take back my ship so please forgive me for that. For this battle I think it has a MAJOR flaw in the EA game.  My point is; this great ENTRE game played pretty good for me until this crazy superman speedo transport battle, no other battle behaved like this one although to this point I already completed the Britain campaign.  However, I have saves so I can replay any battle if you need me to try it now?  I will list all the battles that I faced in the Britain Campaign on Normal Difficulty.

Rule the Waves, Dinner for Admiral,  Priority, Snakes and Powder, Crossfire, Second Wave, Fireworks, A Hunter and Prey, Snatch, Ontario Express, Clash, Harm Rum, Capture of Savannah, Intelligence, An Ambush, Objects in Motion, Blockade, and The Final Frontier.  For me that was 18 battles so far.

If you can tell me which battle has the transport mission I could play it again all I am saying is when I did play the Britain Campaign whether maybe I might of had to replay a battle to succeed but I was able to do that unlike this US Naval Blockade that I failed 9 times in a row in it's current state.  Thanks again for looking into this!  Keep up the great work and I understand it is in development but sometimes I like this game so much I get carried away. 

Edited by doublebuck

This is a side note not related but I would like to know what do you mean about bonus missions?  I see ? marks and assign ships to it and after a turn or two I get a result but I don't get to play it?  I listed 18 battles I faced in the Britain campaign so are you saying there may have been a bonus missions I missed out on?  Or sometimes at the end of a battle you get a letter to make a choice so when you do that do you somehow get a bonus mission?  As you can see I am not sure so that is why I am asking.