Game-Labs Forum

Prince of Wales - English? Eastindiaman (1740)

Brigand

I'm a little wary of this model...

She looks rather small to have 2 full gundecks (even if the lower one isn't armed). Also, she has something of a Galleon style, and the details such as stern gallery design don't quite look right on a ship supposed to have been built in 1740. 

This for contrast is a period model of the East Indiaman Somerset (1738).

sGOPRWl.jpg

If you want cargo ships, especially mid 1700's, then the best source of blueprints I've seen has been reprints of the 1759 designer Fredrik Hinrik af Chapman's book "Architectura Navalis Mercatoria".  It is full of Barks, Hack/Hag boats, East and West Indiamen, small fishing boats, even some schooners, privateers, and a few frigates.

I bought a copy and scanned all of the line drawings in it.  Sadly it doesn't have a single rigging mast line drawing in it, but that hasn't really been an issue for me, personally.

Yeah, it looks kinda 17th century instead of 1740. So I guess the model is not the Prince of Wales, or at least not from the year claimed.

At the same time, the model looks quite detailed. So maybe she is a model of a real ship, only the website who tried to sell it (modelships.de) didn't know which one and came up with a nice name?

I think it is still a nice model to include though, we need some medium sized merchantmen :-)

~Brigand