Game-Labs Forum

Mechanics of mixed primary battery?

midge

I've heard several times while browsing the Forum, that ships with different types of primary battery receive penalties (simulating difficulty of differentiating shell splashes of guns). However nowhere have I seen the exact way this works described in detail. So, I was wondering if anyone has done any testing on this or whether the devs have explained it anywhere in the past, since there are several cases where it is unclear if and to what extent the malus applies or not:

1. Does the system simply apply a penalty if multiple different guns from the primary section are placed on the same ship, and does it become worse with every extra turret of different size mounted, or does the System only take into account guns of similar sizes being on the same ship? (e.g. a ship with both 11- and 12-inch guns would receive a large penalty whereas a ship with 16- and 10-inch guns would receive a more minor penalty)
  2. Related to the above, are secondary batteries included in the equation in any way? For instance, would it be detrimental to have a ship with a 9-inch primary and an 8-inch secondary battery and can different secondary batteries interfere with each other if too similar in size?
  3. Is the penalty applied for guns of the same calibre but in different mounts? For example, would a ship with both double and triple barrel turrets of the same diameter still be disadvantaged and are centre and side turrets of the same type treated as mixed batteries?

Thanks in advance for any answers provided.

Edited by midge
spelling and grammar

16 minutes ago, CenturionsofRome said:

I don't think this is implemented yet.

It should already be implemented, as stated by the Devs in this post on the Ship Designer Feedback Thread.

On 10/8/2019 at 3:09 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Generally, the more uniform a gun battery, the more effective and faster the aim progress. This is already simulated. You can try to have a mixed caliber battleship and you will see that accuracy is not going to increase that fast per gun type. It is pending to add an extra accuracy penalty when multiple guns are fired on the same target (From the same or other friendly ships)

• 6 months later...
On 12/21/2019 at 2:35 PM, midge said:

I've heard several times while browsing the Forum, that ships with different types of primary battery receive penalties (simulating difficulty of differentiating shell splashes of guns). However nowhere have I seen the exact way this works described in detail. So, I was wondering if anyone has done any testing on this or whether the devs have explained it anywhere in the past, since there are several cases where it is unclear if and to what extent the malus applies or not:

1. Does the system simply apply a penalty if multiple different guns from the primary section are placed on the same ship, and does it become worse with every extra turret of different size mounted, or does the System only take into account guns of similar sizes being on the same ship? (e.g. a ship with both 11- and 12-inch guns would receive a large penalty whereas a ship with 16- and 10-inch guns would receive a more minor penalty)
  2. Related to the above, are secondary batteries included in the equation in any way? For instance, would it be detrimental to have a ship with a 9-inch primary and an 8-inch secondary battery and can different secondary batteries interfere with each other if too similar in size?
  3. Is the penalty applied for guns of the same calibre but in different mounts? For example, would a ship with both double and triple barrel turrets of the same diameter still be disadvantaged and are centre and side turrets of the same type treated as mixed batteries?

Thanks in advance for any answers provided.

You only get penalty to aiming speed. Individual accuracy is not affected by different calibers or gun groups.

I don't see ant reason whatsoever why someone would go so crazy as to throw mixed battery on any of their ships aside from some pre-dreadnoughts, but even then that's pre-dreadnoughts and they are not known for sound design choices.

31 minutes ago, BobRoss0902 said:

I don't see ant reason whatsoever why someone would go so crazy as to throw mixed battery on any of their ships aside from some pre-dreadnoughts, but even then that's pre-dreadnoughts and they are not known for sound design choices.

very chonky secondaries dats why fam 'w'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobRoss0902 said:

Hey, hey, hey, don't knock my Semi-Dreadnoughts (4 x 11" + 12 x 9").

I friggin love them in my RtW2 games with seriously slowed research rates and even keep them for some time after my first true Dreadnought launches.

On 7/3/2020 at 1:55 AM, BobRoss0902 said:

I’ve done it in a number of modern battleship designs.

Trying to get the smashing power of heavier guns with the volume of fire from lighter main guns filling in between the volleys from the big guns.

The game design, for some very plausible reasons, has chosen to fire full battery salvos. The more common WWI WWII practice was to fire half salvos which had the target under attack more frequently (and Was also thought to result in lower shell dispersal patterns and therefore improved hit per shell averages).

I’ve been happy with this as a design option - and don’t feel I’m mad 😜, just different 🧐