Game-Labs Forum

Boarding the Arrogante possible?

Salty Sails

What I did, a bit cheesy, is have two 5th rates board and park my troop transport in front then disembark the marines. When your 5th loses it's complement(strikes colours) I have my marines board and recapture it. Alternatively you can allow the arrogante to take your ship, this will weaken the arrogante by depleting their complement, this makes subsequent capturing easier. 

the arrogante isnt hard to get.  Ive only failed once when it damaged my 5th rate too much as it nailed the sails hard with a salvo.  I do it with 3 ships usually.  all loaded to the hilt with troops about 650 total.  You can manage to capture all the other ships too.  its hard but not impossible.  Also you can time a double boarding.  that usually does it with ease  

Boarding was a bit cheesy. You can fill 2 6th rates with 300 troops each. Arm them with boarding tools, remove all cannons. You also need are fire ships. You should bring one more with you so you can blow up most of the ships except for one enemy 5th rate, leave it to fight with your damaged 5th rate (DO NOT SINK IT, IF IT BLOWS UP THEN GREAT BUT DON'T SINK IT). So, most of the enemy ships are down, you can focus on capturing the 4th rate. Use those 2 fast but fully loaded 6th rate to approach the 4th rate. Since your speed is really good (no cannons + upgrades), you would only eat one broadside before you catch up and outspeed the 4th rate which... will start the boarding procedure, you will need the 2nd 6th rate to join the boarding. Then voila, you got your first 4th rate. This won't 100% work in this patch on ward since the enemy gets boarding tools as well but you would outnumber the enemy so I'm not sure how that would play out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This mission is bogus. Why do I lose it, when the Romulus surrenders even though I could easily conquer her back? But an amphibious mission doesn't end, when I have lost all land forces? That lose condition makes no sense whatsoever. 

Battles not ending after you have killed all the enemy or you have lost everything are definitely annoying and will probably get fixed. However, keeping the Romulus is an objective that you must keep completed for the entire time which makes sense. If the ship surrenders, the game registers that you have lost control of the Romulus which results in an instant fail. If this wasn't the case, you could play through the entire battle after she sunk just to find out that you still lost at the end which would be incredibly frustrating. 

31 minutes ago, WilliamTheIII said:

Battles not ending after you have killed all the enemy or you have lost everything are definitely annoying and will probably get fixed. However, keeping the Romulus is an objective that you must keep completed for the entire time which makes sense. If the ship surrenders, the game registers that you have lost control of the Romulus which results in an instant fail. If this wasn't the case, you could play through the entire battle after she sunk just to find out that you still lost at the end which would be incredibly frustrating. 

Then the condition should be changed to "Romulus must not sink" or something, since you can still get her back after she surrenders and the battle should only end prematurely if she sinks or if she surrenders and the player has lost everything else. 

@sterner He is talking about Fireworks in Stage 4 (one before snatch, the final stage) of Chapter 2 of the British campaign. This is the scripted mission where you use fireships to destroy superior enemies such as the Ardent. I don't believe there is a specific land battle, however, it does seem most if not all will not end until the timer runs down even if you've fully wiped out the enemy and captured the objective. This is also the same for when you lose your entire force however, I normally get a loss around 30-40 in game minutes after losing everything. Even though the battle report is buggy, it does seem that there are a few units still left fully intact that don't do anything on the missions. I tested this several times on Snakes and Powder (First land battle in stage 2 of chapter 2 of the British campaign) but was unable to find these full health units. I am wondering if this is just a bug with the battle report or if these nonexistent units are possibly what is keeping us from winning after fully destroying the enemy. 

@Garm I agree that would be a nice addition as the Romulus is a Diana class whose weight I love throwing during the battle.

Yes, the mission with the ship is Fireworks, the mission in which you can lose all your ground forces and only be left with essentially empty ships while your goal to win the battle is taking a flag would be Crossfire.