Game-Labs Forum

Greetings, This is better than "Total War"

Mauser

Hello everyone,

I've been a Early supporter of the Civil War titles, and have played them extensively. Having grown up in Virginia (Less than 30 miles from George Washtington's and Robert E. Lee's birthplace plantations) I've always been an avid self historian and a huge fan of historical games and the 'flavor' that comes with them. (Total war, Civilization) I subscirbed early access for this title and am willing to offer any help that I am able to provide.  

Best of luck!

Although I prefer the ground combat in "total war", I have high hopes for this game.   Like the OP, I too am a Virginian with extensive knowledge of revolutionary war era technology.

I really hope this game (the american campaign) can incorporate state navies and the original 13 Continental navy frigates.  It would seem it the plan to leap to the 1797 re-establishment Navy (USS Constitution, etc) and ignore the Continental navy altogether.

If the game dev's would like, I would be more than happy to lay out all of the current information available on the Continental Navy including line drawings and service history in a dedicated thread.

• Like 1

Though I have no inside knowledge, I am about 90% sure that the intro will be bunker hill (considered Chapter 1 in the dev build) and Chapter 2 will be the Revolutionary War. I’d imagine that Chapter 3 will be like you said jumping straight into the Constitution with the Quasi War and Barbery Wars. There will be 5 Chapters (4 if not counting the intro as one) so perhaps the Quasi and Barbery wars might be independent chapters. The last chapter will be War of 1812. As mentioned this is not confirmed however, from what I’ve picked up on talking with the devs in the discord, this does seem like the likely plan.

There is an AOS history forum if you want to make a post there. Would love to read it myself personally. 

I absolutely love this game, it feels like a masterpiece in the making. I've played through 20 chapters easily by this point and every time I have surprises and great moments that make playing through exciting and enjoyable. I fired up Napoleon TW and it hit me this is Darth's baby! so no surprise really that it's this great.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree, the I suppose "Immersive" feel of that game with its music, the sensation of "scale" It took several turns to load up some soldiers, and ship them to another area of the globe. Very cool.

It lacks the world map element and the empire building. Which is not something I believe the devs will ever strive to add into any of these titles. But the combat is far better done. Much longer battles emphasizing overall tactics rather than moment to moment micromanagement. Total War for whatever reason incomprehensible to me has decided to balance everything around heavily doctored online gameplay and their single player has massively suffered as a result. These days a Total War battle is a glorified game of rock paper scissors. Lasts about the same time too.

• 3 weeks later...