Game-Labs Forum

Best XP grinding strategy? [PVP Server]

Bony

Question

I'm a new player, my question is what is the best way to level up?
My second attempt was successful final exam, i've tried killing missions but the bots are too strong i think.. Rank5 VS 2x op rank4,(AI never miss, always pen.,ridiculous damage,etc..etc..And out of town hunting for small ships is ridiculously slow.. 50-60xp / battle? 100+ sinked ship for lvl3? Or do u have a better idea? Thanks for ur answers. 

Edited by Bony

14 answers to this question

Join a Clan in your Nation, don’t sail alone. 

If you have any DLC Ships, Hercules, Requin, Hermione, use them, easy to replace! There are 2 different PVP Patrolzones every few days, try them. Otherwise use Shallow area to sink some players in traders or small ships! Dont grind your ranks only with sinking bots! They are stupid and it will be boring after you get how bots are working(sailing/shooting). Good luck! o7 

Edited by Salty Sails
  • Like 2

The players above gave some good advice, pvp gives you more exp than pve, even if you lose. 

If you wanted to stick to pve though; fastest way in my experience is kill missions. Try to look for missions that have you fight a single ship of 1 rank higher than the biggest ship you can crew. You can try 2 ranks higher than yours too, it's even more experience. Just make sure it's vs a single enemy ship. You can just stern camp the enemy ship to sink it. If you can get into a clan that can help you get a crafted ship if you can't get one yourself; that makes it easier and the buffs of the AI are less overwhelming. 

A ship 2 ranks higher than yours can be even easier to kill because it's slower in every way. It reloads slower and turns slower too. So you can have an easier time avoiding damage. 

Kill lgv traders with your snow :)

Do kill missions where there is one npc only and at least 1 rank higher than you. 

Do the most damage. @admin I find this the most stupid, I do not sink npc but I try to do most damage, waste of time. Why do I need to milk the damage for more xp? 

NPC is strong now, very hard to fight against 2 npc, or 3 npc with smaller ships, those are useless missions. 

I have earned XP from sailing.  It doesn't take very long to rank up.  Just don't return to the departure port.

Didn't complete the exam.  Not enough patience.

Enjoy the game.  It's not a race.  If you play often and fight alot you will be at the maximum rank quickly.  Then you will be setting new goals.  You can learn alot sailing smaller ships.

Some players farm XP, after their friends help park offside a huge canoe ... but where's the fun.  That's for players who are really bored with NA combat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

Kill lgv traders with your snow :)

This is the best if you are new.  Using a Snow or Prince, stern camp AI LGV's.  knock his crew down to 60 or less and board him. Tons of XP for sinking him (over 400) and the possibility of a rich cargo.  Note, less xp if you keep the ship.

Edited by Angus MacDuff

5 hours ago, Liq said:

To answer the question, a quick way is taking a small manouverable ship (eg herc) and tagging solo npc 1dt rates. Sterncamp it and sternrake, proceed to sink it by raking damage (structure)

Do you really think a new player can stern camp a 1st rate in a herc? Many new folks are still learning manual sailing basics. 1 or 2 bad turns and you end up eating a broadside or two and thats all she wrote.

9 hours ago, asdf said:

Find another player with the highest rank. Form a group.  The higher player tagged a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rate ship and unmasted it or he pulled it into the boarding.

Then you can use a frigate or even smaller, important here is a big BR difference to sink the demasted ship.  

TIP: Take a ship which can take many of the 32pd carronades. Hercules or Niagara. 
1500-2000 XP in 20 minutes are possible without any problems. 

EDIT: With this strategy you can also level up any frigate class and below in 1-2 hours. (LGV/Indiaman/Trader Snow ...)

And then you can Very quickly gain rank, buy or build really big expensive ships, and sadly lose them rather quickly because you’ll not have gained skills with your rapid promotion.

A legitimate and useful variation of this would be to sail group missions with more experienced players. Learn and fight with them. Even if you don’t gain the kills they do, you’ll gain a bunch of useful knowledge and XP. 

Find another player with the highest rank. Form a group.  The higher player tagged a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rate ship and unmasted it or he pulled it into the boarding.

Then you can use a frigate or even smaller, important here is a big BR difference to sink the demasted ship.  

TIP: Take a ship which can take many of the 32pd carronades. Hercules or Niagara. 
1500-2000 XP in 20 minutes are possible without any problems. 

EDIT: With this strategy you can also level up any frigate class and below in 1-2 hours. (LGV/Indiaman/Trader Snow ...)

Edited by asdf