Game-Labs Forum

Hey guys!

Loving the game so far!

One suggestion: could you tailor the barbette sizes to the turret sizes more closely?

The barbette diameter for the 15 in and 16 in guns are far too big. The huge sized  barbette seems to only fit the 18in gun turrets.

And the same for the 12 in guns, since the big barbette seems to be made to fit the 14 in guns.

The problem is not that they are big. The problem is that they don't "mesh" with the superstructure you put behind and that both barbette **AND** superstructure are limited in placement because of anchor points. The net effect is that you always end up needing a lot of room between a superfiring "b" turret and the superstructure behind it. Much more than it was common in most designs of the era.

I'm really looking forward getting rid of the anchoring points for the barbettes. Specifically because they not only force the already mentioned problem with forward superfiring turrets, but because it also force my designs in ways I don't want to. They not only force me to give too much space between structures and the barbette itself, but because it restricts how many you can put and where. If I want to put two barbettes, one forward one aft I should be able to do so if I want to (assuming superfiring technology is something my nation has), regardless of "anchoring points". And if I want to put one for the amidships turret (for no other good reason that I Want to) I'd also should be able to do it. I'm supposed to be the main designer, damnit, am I not? ;)

In general I'm finding the least appealing and most limiting factor in designing ships in this game is that the hulls are preset models and that anchor points restrict the flexibility of your designs by A LOT. I understand the need for it but they should be somewhat modifiable in shape. Hull breaks, shape of structures avobe deck, etc, should all be dynamically alterable to suit for our design needs and wishes, so we can fit out the layouts we like and experiment with them.  Maybe I want a ship with a raised forecastle, but a break forward and the rest of the hull being after it instead of the configurations we see in game which most are with a low quarterdeck after a very aft hull break. Maybe I want the shape of the hull break to be different to put a turret right at the extreme, or to fit better the contour of the aft superstructure. maybe I want an AB-XY configuration but only being able to put one barbette where the anchor points are prevents me from doing so. Etc.

There's a lot of room for improvement in the designer indeed, because as it is, is far too limiting and frustrating at times.

Edited by RAMJB
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 8:35 PM, RAMJB said:

The problem is not that they are big. The problem is that they don't "mesh" with the superstructure you put behind and that both barbette **AND** superstructure are limited in placement because of anchor points. The net effect is that you always end up needing a lot of room between a superfiring "b" turret and the superstructure behind it. Much more than it was common in most designs of the era.

yeah, it would be nice to be able to stick the barbettes right up against the superstructure, there are a few tower designs with built in berbettes, and those seem like they'd be fum to have in different sizes. that said, what he means is that of you're using a 14" or 15" gun, the huge barbette you are forced to use on mordern BB just looks plain stupid and if it could fit the turret better you could put things just that little but closer together or have better firing arcs.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 2:36 AM, wyattr55123 said:

yeah, it would be nice to be able to stick the barbettes right up against the superstructure, there are a few tower designs with built in berbettes, and those seem like they'd be fum to have in different sizes. that said, what he means is that of you're using a 14" or 15" gun, the huge barbette you are forced to use on mordern BB just looks plain stupid and if it could fit the turret better you could put things just that little but closer together or have better firing arcs.

Not sure for 15'' guns but for 14'' inchers you don't need the massive barbette. The 2nd biggest will do.