Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Liq

Seasoned Woods poll

Do you like the addition of seasoned woods?  

231 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you like the addition of seasoned woods?

    • Yes
    • No
    • I like the general idea but would (slightly) adjust them, by.. (post below)
  2. 2. Do you believe it will create an imbalance?



Recommended Posts

I think it finally needs to be said - you're all ungrateful and short sighted! Do you remember when after release you were bitching about too high BR in port battles? You moaned that it empowers strong nations and weakens small ones.

You RECEIVED LOWER BR in the last patch! Well, at least for some ports. You asked, and devs listened. Show some gratitude.

Now you compain about seasoned woods - that it empowers strong nations, and hurts weak ones again. Well, BR weakened strong nations (almost), while seasoned woods strenghtened them. It's almost even, right? Just deal with it. Or don't.

Soon enough - I bet even before the next vacation season - seasoned woods will be fixed too. Just take some more distance, and focus on getting fun out of the game.

Edited by vazco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

the cult of 'top hardware alone matters' could be at stake!

Nobody says that the the quality of ships alone decides the battle mate!

BUT the superiority of seasoned woods favour the mightiest fraction strongly when it comes to RvR: With equally skilled commanders and captains, the fraction which is faster in replacing top notch ships will finally win. That has been the case even before the last patch. Now this advantage of a higher populated and more active fraction has been further increased to an extent that I would deem to be ridiculously unfair!
 

Another thing is: Many rather casual players - like me for example, - grinded a lot to get a top notch ship. I don‘t complain about that thing general. It was fun to finally achieve that goal. But I complain a lot a lot about the result of that effort being diminished in value by a large margin with the introduction of seasoned wood - even after the end of early access!!!

Edited by Navalus Magnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Идея хорошая, но очень затратная, можно было бы сделать попроще, ввести одну постройку в которой была бы переработка, например из 5 дерева и 15 лабор часов получается 1 супер дерево, это бы ударажило сильно корабли, но при этом не выжимало бы все соки из игрока.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vazco said:

I think it finally needs to be said - you're all ungratefull ...

That might be right: @admin Thank you for good changes and listening to the community in the past!

Nevertheless: Please get rid of the concept of seasoned woods as it is right now (locked behind a blueprint and forcing yet another grind on players)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vazco said:

I think it finally needs to be said - you're all ungrateful and short sighted! Do you remember when after release you were bitching about too high BR in port battles? You moaned that it empowers strong nations and weakens small ones.

You RECEIVED LOWER BR in the last patch! Well, at least for some ports. You asked, and devs listened. Show some gratitude.

Now you compain about seasoned woods - that it empowers strong nations, and hurts weak ones again. Well, BR weakened strong nations (almost), while seasoned woods strenghtened them. It's almost even, right? Just deal with it. Or don't.

Soon enough - I bet even before the next vacation season - seasoned woods will be fixed too. Just take some more distance, and focus on getting fun out of the game.

but the way they did it doesent really change anything.. All suggestions about the Port BR was about getting diversity in the fleets. We have  now all capitals  that can get attacked having 10k and 20k pbs, which still means 1st and 2nd rates meta, if they increase the BR on the 1st and 2nd rates it will actually make a difference.

I wont applaude them adding something they should have never removed btw, it was great 11 months ago, i've seen no complaints about the BR change they did last fall, but suddenly they removed it for no reason.

"You dont fix something thats not broken"

Edited by erelkivtuadrater
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I would like to be able to purchase the permit with VMs. That would actually give them a use because now they're completely pointless (VMs that is).

I like the present status of VM's.

More useless they are, less disappointing they are for new players (who can't earn a single VM before months in game).

The stack of VM's is jusy a restart insurance for nations and clans which lose an important port. More important VM possession will be, more imbalanced the game will be (no recovery option for wiped nation).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rolando said:

Но ДЛС Ратвизан с деревьями (S) остался хорошим 4 рейтом: ему тоже прибавили дефолтную скорость с 11.6 узлов до 11.75, даже чуть сильнее, чем Индефатигейблу (на 0.1 узла), у Ратвизана 2-е место в 4 рейте по экипажу (490) после Агамемнона (500), а у Лепарда - последнее место. Если выбирать из 2-х ДЛС - я бы однозначно выбрал Ратвизана, вероятность получить имбоватый 4 рейт одинаковая, а статы Ратвизана все повыше Леопардовых, кроме скорости.

Еще я бы навел порядок в перманентах и книгах: никто, поверьте, не ставит Reinforsed Mast, не покупает за 5к дублонов Drinking, разве что не разобравшись, по ошибке.

сори за офф топ
да надо поднять леопарду команду чуть чуть - слабовато для такого вооружения 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ленин said:

Идея хорошая, но очень затратная, можно было бы сделать попроще, ввести одну постройку в которой была бы переработка, например из 5 дерева и 15 лабор часов получается 1 супер дерево, это бы ударажило сильно корабли, но при этом не выжимало бы все соки из игрока.

так и есть

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

I like the present status of VM's.

More useless they are, less disappointing they are for new players (who can't earn a single VM before months in game).

The stack of VM's is jusy a restart insurance for nations and clans which lose an important port. More important VM possession will be, more imbalanced the game will be (no recovery option for wiped nation).

Can't we add them to the pool? What's the harm in buying permits for CMs or VMs? You can start with CMs and keep going with VMs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear DEV´s,

pls go on in strengthen the weaker Clans and nations and also the single Players to save the Player Population and to save the game.

1. Revitalisation of the trade is very good (look to the actual Player population), we have now 150 Players more than last week at this timepoint

2. The stuff with the changed battle Rating System is also ok, it must be shown that it would be work in the planned way

3. But why this nonsense of the new Wood system. The first and second change allows to close the big gap between the strong Clans/nations and all others in a significant way. This wood changes now allows the privileged players/clans/nations to raise the gap more than it was before, why? why? why?

Ferdinand de La Salle

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vazco said:

I think it finally needs to be said - you're all ungrateful and short sighted! Do you remember when after release you were bitching about too high BR in port battles? You moaned that it empowers strong nations and weakens small ones.

You RECEIVED LOWER BR in the last patch! Well, at least for some ports. You asked, and devs listened. Show some gratitude.

Now you compain about seasoned woods - that it empowers strong nations, and hurts weak ones again. Well, BR weakened strong nations (almost), while seasoned woods strenghtened them. It's almost even, right? Just deal with it. Or don't.

Soon enough - I bet even before the next vacation season - seasoned woods will be fixed too. Just take some more distance, and focus on getting fun out of the game.

Ungrateful? No, I am very grateful this game exists and continues to be developed. I am grateful more ships keep getting added in spite of that being one of the most difficult things to model, I am grateful this has not become a f2p pay to win game like it so easily could have been and I am grateful the devs seem to care just enough to listen to us.

Short Sighted? No, My biggest complaint has always been the Devs not understanding the game nor the players outside of the small bubble of PvP'ers and streamers they interact with, that they continue to ignore obvious problems with easy solutions in favour of game-changing experimental mechanics that haven't been tested, haven't been discussed and are dropped onto the community with no warning. Outside of anything that is what drives the gulf between the user and the developer, it creates the aura of miss-trust not only for the developers but for the game itself. In a game like this which requires such an extensive grind why would you continue to work so hard when everything you did could be rendered worthless the next month?

The fact the players are angry at the devs continuing to do this is not the players being unreasonably selfish, hostile, hate-filled or anything else, it is because they are human and humans worry about the things they care about and the actions of the devs question why they should care when anyone else, when treated with such contempt, would just walk away especially when, according to steam, over 9,000 people have already done so. 

The reaction you see is not ungrateful, shortsightedness nor hate, it is frustration. Frustration that the players did not get what they asked for, but instead were given a watered down, ham-fisted version of what they asked for and you talk as a Lord from days by gone, pouring out gruel for the poor and starving "well you wanted food and this is food so stop complaining".

The seasoned wood does not empower smaller nations, it empowers larger ones....again. Adding in a new "must have" ingredient into the RvR soup, locked behind a permit wall that requires a fleet of well co-ordinated first rates to obtain, not something every nation, nor every clan has, in order to complete the months long grind to build a fleet of first rates at the same standard of a nation that has proven to be able to replace entire fleets six times in one day, else forever be at a disadvantage, unable to bear the loss of a single ship vs an enemy with a near limitless supply who now all have a 10% health bonus.

It is not unreasonable for any players, fully aware of the mountain of problems that this will cause, having watched the gap between the have and have-nots widen, to complain and it is short-sighteness on your part to expect them to carry on without comment, knowing dam well if we all didn't complain this catastrophic duck up would never be fixed.

Edited by Winterthrust
missing words
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What interests me. Does someone like to build ships of which he knows from the outset that they are far inferior?

So i'm for myself hold in, though we have the port bonuses ready right now. Means only the most necessary ones will built with regular woods.

if that's the case for others too, this innovation leads to exactly the opposite of what should be the goal here in the game development as well. Namely to provide available ships in numbers for pvp.

Edited by Holm Hansen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a huge problem with the concept, at least in theory. It's well-known that some ships were purposefully built from green wood, in the name of building them fast, and knowing they wouldn't last as long.

With that being said, does the implementation here add anything meaningful to the game? After all, it's not like there's anything particularly special to curing wood in real life - it's a matter of time more than anything else (look it up).

If this is definitely a permanent addition, s there a better way to implement this?

For instance, let's say there's a PB scheduled in 2 hours, and I want/need a big boat. As in the 18yh century, if I build that ship fast, it will probably have to be from green wood.

So, instead of this additional building that seems difficult to obtain, why not tweak the idea a little. If I craft a ship for immediate use, it pops out as ordinary wood. But, if I click the box for "seasoned wood," maybe I have to wait 24 hours (or whatever time is deemed appropriate) to take possession?

That way, there's a meaningful cost attached, just as in the 18th century, it will limit proliferation of seasoned ships (instant gratification being what it is), and you do away with a meaningless grind.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Holm Hansen said:

What interests me. Does someone like to build ships of which he knows from the outset that they are far inferior?

So i'm for myself hold in, though we have the port bonuses ready right now. Means only the most necessary ones will built

if that's the case for others as well, this innovation leads to exactly the opposite of what should be the goal here in the game development as well.

there is a reason you only see so many crafted Trincomalees compared to other frigates. Its the second best 5th rate with no need for a permit only beaten by Endymion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

there is a reason you only see so many crafted Trincomalees compared to other frigates. Its the second best 5th rate with no need for a permit only beaten by Endymion.

yes, i know. but the number of built ships, no matter which, will maybe go back strongly with this change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: why returning to the rare woods calling them seasoned woods?

Answer: to sell more dlc ships!  

Explanation: dlc ships had become uncompetitive, port bonuses made them too inferior.  So these "new" woods only serve to "balance" the dlc ships.  Pity that now buying dlc ships has become convenient also for crafting ships in these "new" super woods.  In fact those who can afford more alts and all dlc ships can get these "new" woods simply by destroying the dlc ships!  Great, Pay-to-win direction almost reached!

And above all: which players asked for these seasoned woods?  No one has asked for it and nobody has talked about it anywhere!  Certainly the game is yours and you can do whatever you want, but you should have the good taste not to make fun of your customers, because the game has been released and now we are no longer testers, we are customers!

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Holm Hansen said:

What interests me. Does someone like to build ships of which he knows from the outset that they are far inferior?

I do. From time to time I craft Constitutions, Ingermanlands and Pavels. They're fun to craft and sail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, vazco said:

I do. From time to time I craft Constitutions, Ingermanlands and Pavels. They're fun to craft and sail.

This is not about the types of ships, but whether someone still willingly build ships of regular wood, how it was usual did in the past, to hope for a golden one. A golden out of regular wood will not be worth the effort in relative terms, since last patch. And to spam out ships of seasened wood, you maybe will not have not enough of this.

In summary, i assume, fewer ships will built than it was the case before the patch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obi-Heed Kenobi said:

I don't have a huge problem with the concept, at least in theory. It's well-known that some ships were purposefully built from green wood, in the name of building them fast, and knowing they wouldn't last as long.

With that being said, does the implementation here add anything meaningful to the game? After all, it's not like there's anything particularly special to curing wood in real life - it's a matter of time more than anything else (look it up).

If this is definitely a permanent addition, s there a better way to implement this?

For instance, let's say there's a PB scheduled in 2 hours, and I want/need a big boat. As in the 18yh century, if I build that ship fast, it will probably have to be from green wood.

So, instead of this additional building that seems difficult to obtain, why not tweak the idea a little. If I craft a ship for immediate use, it pops out as ordinary wood. But, if I click the box for "seasoned wood," maybe I have to wait 24 hours (or whatever time is deemed appropriate) to take possession?

That way, there's a meaningful cost attached, just as in the 18th century, it will limit proliferation of seasoned ships (instant gratification being what it is), and you do away with a meaningless grind.

Timers for ship production I think is a good and better way to slow down production of high rate ships than anything that adds more grind and more sailing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holm Hansen said:

This is not about the types of ships, but whether someone still willingly build ships of regular wood, how it was usual did in the past, to hope for a golden one. A golden out of regular wood will not be worth the effort in relative terms, since last patch. And to spam out ships of seasened wood, you maybe will not have not enough of this.

In summary, i assume, fewer ships will built than it was the case before the patch.

I would guess ships of regular wood will still be built. Seasoned wood for most will likely be reserved for RvR or people that always want the very best ship. Not everyone sails only the very best ships. I own purple ships but that doesnt mean I only sail purple ships nor do I put the very best upgrade on every ship I sail. The economic aspect of ships might be what's most impacted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Macjimm said:

Con: Crafting a S wood ship is approx 100 times the cost.  (Based on crafted materials, free doubloons and free labour)

 

Crafting an Ocean season wood is like 6 806 000  reals for the tools, 10900 doublons for transforming wood, and 254 800 hours + cost of a regular Ocean.....ridiculous.

Edited by Forbin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Forbin said:

Crafting an Ocean season wood is like 6 806 000  reals for the tools, 10900 doublons for transforming wood, and 254 800 hours + cost of a regular Ocean.....ridiculous.

Now imagine the joy of rolling a blue 3-5 no special trim at that cost ;)

Edited by Serk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...