Game-Labs Forum

Opened unused casemates.

HusariuS

My idea is simple, instead of leaving big hole where the casemate should be (because for some reason, player didn't wanted them or just couldn't afford them), just replace it with armor plating.

It would look much better, and also improve game immersion, because casemates usually proved to be quite vulnerable to flooding, especially when you have BIG HOLES ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) instead of casemate :D

• Like 2

Hulls that had casemate openings for guns were properly equipped to set themselves in watertight condition on moved seas with watertight shutters. Their problem was that at speed and at high enough seas, water could swamp them if you tried to open the shutters. This not only made the guns almost impossible to use, but risked flooding, so those guns could not be put in operation in bad weather conditions.

As a result most of the hull mounted casemates on most battleships could be out of action in a given moment because their casemate shutters couldn't be opened because of the risk of flooding.
But just because you had casemate guns it didn't mean you would get your ship flooded just because(As long as you didn't try to operate those guns and kept them in watertight condition).

Of course it soon was understood that a gun that you can't operate on a battle is a gun that, honestly, you can live without. So in many ships several of the casemate guns were removed, and their watertight shutters welded shut and forever closed.

Also, not all casemate mounts were placed on the upper hull where they could be swamped by seas (some of them were on the superstructure or on the upper deck).

And finally, even when guns were finally taken out of casemates, they just were shut off, not "plated over". For instance, this is USS Nevada post-rebuild. Note the enclosed casemates, you can perfectly see them, even while the guns had been taken out years before:

0fa8bd07c15cac21db829a84cbe95a2c.jpg

Edited by RAMJB

I agree it would make the ships look more natural if unused casemate slots were smoothed over when you are constructing a new ships. After a refit when some guns are removed keeping the spots would be nice though, such changes are a natural part of the ships life.

2 hours ago, HusariuS said:

My idea is simple, instead of leaving big hole where the casemate should be (because for some reason, player didn't wanted them or just couldn't afford them), just replace it with armor plating.

It would look much better, and also improve game immersion, because casemates usually proved to be quite vulnerable to flooding, especially when you have BIG HOLES ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) instead of casemate :D

Dunno why but i thought of AL when i saw this lol. Junkyard ships when?