Game-Labs Forum

Possible Modern version?

Cdodders

13 hours ago, DerekChasing said:

Post WW2 warfare is the stage for aero attack and long range missiles. Ship mounting guns are for self-defense only.

Try this if your are interested.   

Wargame: Red Dragon naval combat is awful and refered as a joke in pretty much every serious discussions. Don't get me wrong, the game itself is amazing. But its naval component is good only for his addition of amphibious units.

The recent CMO: for Command Modern Operation (or his older version CMANO: Command Modern Air/Naval Operation) is a much better depiction of modern naval operation. A word of warning, its also fairly complex and expensive.

Finally I agree with the comments above. Modern naval combat are just long range missiles strike from other ships, submarines or planes with occasional short burst of cannons for self defense. Significant adjustement needs to be made if you want something close to that in UA:D.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tousansons said:

Wargame: Red Dragon naval combat is awful and refered as a joke in pretty much every serious discussions. Don't get me wrong, the game itself is amazing. But its naval component is good only for his addition of amphibious units.

Its "ok" in player vs player or if you fight an AI on the same level of difficulty but yeah I agree it is pretty sucky specially when one enemy cruiser can block every missile fired at it with 100% accuracy (even if its only armed with WWII AA guns) but your entire fleet of modern computer guided CWIS systems can hardly block one. Though typically each Wargame has introduced something that was pointless to use as well as fixed the issue of the previous one.

Escalation was one of the only games to feature, not only European tanks, but ones from almost every nation, but they were all pointless to play as since you could just roll a line of TOW jeeps and wipe out entire columns of tanks. Airlandwar fixed this and introduced aircraft, all of which were pointless since any AA unit in game could lock down the entire map. Red Dragon fixed the aircraft, a bit too much since playing as the Brits was basically "Summon the Harriers", but introduced Navy which in any normal list is just a good excuse to pull in extra troops.

I dont say no to modern period but i feel this needs improve a lot formations and a stronger AI control over the ship positions... player can place them in a grid and AI move then following players preferences.

I prefer a game cover to from 1850/60 to 1890 with a new campaing set on this period of very fast changes and very WTF new designs.

But if campaign works fine... i dont see bad at all be more creative and cover something missing in all naval games i know... subwar, from a operational-strategic point of view, you can add submarines to tactical battles to BUT for me the interest is give players a pure submarine war campaign inside the normal campaign, imagine one player controlling the over sea war and other under sea war, even is possible add some RPG component with both players fighting between them for the same resources!!! your submarines fight enemy ships and you fight surface commander... marvellous 👌

Edited by Kasuga

On 11/28/2019 at 11:04 AM, Tousansons said:

The recent CMO: for Command Modern Operation (or his older version CMANO: Command Modern Air/Naval Operation) is a much better depiction of modern naval operation. A word of warning, its also fairly complex and expensive.

Finally I agree with the comments above. Modern naval combat are just long range missiles strike from other ships, submarines or planes with occasional short burst of cannons for self defense. Significant adjustement needs to be made if you want something close to that in UA:D.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:32 PM, Winterthrust said:

Its "ok" in player vs player or if you fight an AI on the same level of difficulty but yeah I agree it is pretty sucky specially when one enemy cruiser can block every missile fired at it with 100% accuracy (even if its only armed with WWII AA guns) but your entire fleet of modern computer guided CWIS systems can hardly block one. Though typically each Wargame has introduced something that was pointless to use as well as fixed the issue of the previous one.

Escalation was one of the only games to feature, not only European tanks, but ones from almost every nation, but they were all pointless to play as since you could just roll a line of TOW jeeps and wipe out entire columns of tanks. Airlandwar fixed this and introduced aircraft, all of which were pointless since any AA unit in game could lock down the entire map. Red Dragon fixed the aircraft, a bit too much since playing as the Brits was basically "Summon the Harriers", but introduced Navy which in any normal list is just a good excuse to pull in extra troops.

WGR naval combat is literally just Warsaw = auto win most of the time. Their CIWS is like 100% on point in the base game and using aerial launched ASM in that game is like playing a kamikaze rigged zero, resulting in destruction of entire squadrons unless you spam like 5-6 planes (which NATO doesn't get access to spam tactics). Although you can try to play the All Out War mod which kinda fix the naval by swinging the balance toward NATO a little bit with NATO aerial ASM being much better (your ships still die to Warsaw spam). AOW basically throws realistic distance/numbers at the game but the game is clearly not intended for the real world numbers so you have Patriot missiles that has the range... 3 times that of the length of the map or aerial ASM being able to launch immediately from spawn, etc.

Back to UA: D having a modern era sequel: No thanks. I don't want to play Look-At-The-Radar-The-Game