Game-Labs Forum

State of shallow PvP?

Aegishjalmur

Question

I was thinking about coming back to the game and see what it's like these days but wanted to ask here about the current state of the game in shallows ( not interested in the bigger and expensive ships anymore ) first. Is there any good PvP to be had in the shallows these days and if so what is the meta like? Is it still only Hercules spam or are other ships viable too now? How is the Surprise and Renommeé?

20 minutes ago, admin said:

People buy STG 44 for 28,000 dollars not because its the best weapon not because its obsolete and taking space.

We in Game Labs bring to life generals that can never walk this earth again, ships that can never sail again, weapons that can never shoot again; we get handwritten letters from american relatives of confederate and union generals who thanked us for getting their grand grand granddads into the games we get letters from museums for the ships we make. 

We add ships because they are cool. Not everybody buys this game because of shallow waters patrols. In fact nobody buys it these days for shallow water patrols. they grow into RVR and ONLY then they start using best ships and best guns. But many buy because of the ships we have. Because we have it and 100% of other game do not.

Its just shallow thinking from people like you and @Teutonic, seems like you will never get why we add ships like Lynx. And its ok. You seem to want a 3 ship 3 gun balanced counter strike that nobody wants.  We do not give a single shit about your opinion on HMS Pickle and Lynx and their usefullness for you. And will continue adding beautiful vessels that deserve to be recreated. In this and future games.

Well said, Sir!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mascarino said:

Well said. Privateer, Lynx, Pickle, Mercury, Brig, Cerberus, Frigate, Essex, etc... all obsolet, just taking space.

Privateer is one of my favourite ships in NA and a lot of fun especially if you like to sail as a rover using six or seven rates. What could really make it shine would be a return of the smuggler flag for 7th rate ships, enable the Privateer due to it's small size ability to dock in any port. 

Not everyone plays the game thinking 1st rates is the end goal.

Edited by Mad Dan Morgan
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, AeRoTR said:

Problem is battle instance is fast paced, and all battles are close distance ones, that makes 32 carro overpowered in this game.

I know , in real life some ships getting caught in bad position and without cannons, they knew they had no chance against cannons.

The fast pace or endless chase is indeed a problem. Closely related to the repair meta we have. repair one or two times maximum per battle would be much better for the gameplay. more tactically. that´s something I´d love to experience. do you really risk a full blast of chains coming towards you? or better keep some distance.... the arcade-like magic repairs are most unimmersive and unrealistic. a pity for this great game!

8 hours ago, admin said:

People buy STG 44 for 28,000 dollars not because its the best weapon not because its obsolete and taking space.

We in Game Labs bring to life generals that can never walk this earth again, ships that can never sail again, weapons that can never shoot again; we get handwritten letters from american relatives of confederate and union generals who thanked us for getting their grand grand granddads into the games we get letters from museums for the ships we make. 

We add ships because they are cool. Not everybody buys this game because of shallow waters patrols. In fact nobody buys it these days for shallow water patrols. Players grow into RVR and ONLY then they start using best ships and best guns. But many buy because of the ships we have. Because we have them and 100% of other game do not. 

Its just shallow thinking from people like you and @Teutonic, seems like you will never get why we add ships like Lynx. And its ok. You seem to want a 3 ship 3 gun balanced counter strike that nobody wants. I love all ships (even Wapen) and honestly do not care about your shallow water opinion on HMS Pickle and Lynx and their usefullness. I will continue adding beautiful vessels that deserve to be recreated. In this and future games.

All true! Could you imagine to include missions dedicated for and not against ship-types? like do 10 pvp kills in a lynx and get a nice reward. personally i just love to see as many different ships as possible on the waters. i mean, you did all the outstanding work on the models! now make them being used more. PS more beautiful vessels? awesome :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

All true! Could you imagine to include missions dedicated for and not against ship-types? like do 10 pvp kills in a lynx and get a nice reward. personally i just love to see as many different ships as possible on the waters. i mean, you did all the outstanding work on the models! now make them being used more. PS more beautiful vessels? awesome :)

Would be such a marveeeeeeeel!

I want that for Xmas! Please @admin, I was quite a nice kid!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, admin said:

Why is it even a complaint. 
Every gun has its role

I remember when we were told to buy cheap medium cannons, and have fun in shallow patrols with any ai ship or redeemabable => that would be a great way to make shallow great again.

To me shallow patrol were probably the most fun games i've been in, but as i said, now nobody use anything but 32pd carro: le Requin, Niagara, Surprise or Hercule + repair meta.

Whith the anemic dmg output of a medium 9pd even at 1meters compared to carronades, they are simply pure trash.  

At it's been said, carronades are supposed to be terrifying in shallow for their ability to drop huge amount of grape shots and wash the enemy deck at close range, not for dealing hull damages as if we used atomic shells. The gap between 9pd cannon & 32pd carro is insane.

11 hours ago, Mascarino said:

Well said. Privateer, Lynx, Pickle, Mercury, Brig, Cerberus, Frigate, Essex, etc... all obsolet, just taking space. About cannons, we only use mediums if there's no carronades or longs, and the new cannons introduced only 1 or 2 are good. Trades Goods are there now only for show, have the same use as salt, people are trading only Cargo and Passengers.

No. I am a lover of small ships. I have a lot of kills, even in Traders Lynx. I do think that people sailing only in Trincs, Indefs, and so on, just don't have the challenging spirit to try Lynx, Navy Brig, Privateers and so on.

All that ships are very fun to use! None are dead! May be, the volunteer spirit of players to challenge themselves must born again.

Just have a look on some fun...

All these fight were successful, some times requiring some inventive reactions, and I do not always have the kill. 

But Naval Action is featuring a period filled of goose quills, not only goose kills. Isn't it? ;)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mascarino said:

Well said. Privateer, Lynx, Pickle, Mercury, Brig, Cerberus, Frigate, Essex, etc... all obsolet, just taking space. About cannons, we only use mediums if there's no carronades or longs, and the new cannons introduced only 1 or 2 are good. Trades Goods are there now only for show, have the same use as salt, people are trading only Cargo and Passengers.

Sorry Sir, but I only use longs or carronades. 

well, maybe demasting happened historically only due to damages to rigging and not to the mast itself. so a little,fast and simple thing you can do to make carronade more historical based is reduce accuracy of all the guns.

carro were deadly at close range and VS hull...damages to hull always provoked damage on rigging

12 hours ago, Mascarino said:

Oh yes please, remove the stuff I do not use: Indefatigable,  Trincomalee, Christian and all 1st rates. Plus medium canons, cartagena tar, floating batteries and so on.

@Mascarino, if you claim for removing features I like,  why not removing features you like too?

20 hours ago, admin said:

Carronades crews are well balanced i think given current crew mechanics. Reworking crew will stir the hornet's nest 
But penetration is going to be reworked. Long guns will trump carronades at distance even for smaller vessels.

I've seen you say stuff like this a few times now, would it be fair to say there is a lot of changes this game needs you don't do because of the fear it will create a shitstorm?

15 hours ago, admin said:

People buy the STG44 for stupid money because a lot of people are obsessed with WWII technology and think anything German = Superior. I'm writing a book in which I spend many pages talking about these idiots and how they are wrong.

I love all ships (even Wapen)

The Wapen Von Hamberg is my favourite ship in the game, call me crazy (and many do) but she is such an underappreciated little monster and I think the few people who have attacked me while I've been sailing one have learned very quickly it's not as much a pushover as many think. I'd love to see more ships based on the old wide hull Convoy Galleon design.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:23 AM, admin said:

Just like on paintings.. 

Hull leeway is coming. Hull can provide up to 1-1.5 knots speed or more depending on height.

ePOzNdv.jpg

Is this how shallow pvp should be?

I got mast mods, they didn't

aha

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 7:54 AM, Aegishjalmur said:

This is one of the reasons I quit big ships and the game in general. Upgrades and stats give too much advantage for how scarce they are. Basically if you aren't one of the unemployed guys without responsibilities and families or just anything better to do really who can and want to waste all this extra time to get the best ships / upgrades in the dozen, so they can afford losing them in PvP, then the game really sucks.

I had hoped it is different with the shallow ships and I have always enjoyed them too but I guess it's all just one boring grind now...

You nailed it! 

1 hour ago, admin said:

feel extreme pride with my design, when the Elementary course on Ordnance and Gunnery from 1845 accurately describes what happened with shallow waters meta in Naval Action.
0UwD1YC.jpg

Naval Action is a replication of historical METAs - and we are not balancing gameplay for making basic cutters useful (we did some time ago but *** that time - we were idiots)
Sail 32 pdr carronade ships. Do not like it? Good luck ;)

(we should allow use of 24 and 32 lb carrons on all light ships)

hol' up.

you aren't going to balance the game to make things useful because historically the 32pd carro was just always better?

in order to save precious game space I guess we should start deleting item files out of the game because they were in general disuse!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RKY said:

so far you keep the trend of this game, develop stuff for nothing: half the ship are not used, 70% of canon type are not used, and to top it all trade goods are not used.