Game-Labs Forum

PvE Peace Server: Clans need to be limited in member numbers

I am seeing a trend on PvE P.S. which could lead to the same trouble as seen on PvP W.S. if not getting addressed, and that is the domination by some super-sized clans, first establishing a vassal system within their nation and on base on that, probably a domination by the nation they "represent" over others, with less successful super-sized clans.

For each nation so far we see one super-sized clan taking the lead: CLAW for the US, ERP for France, FPM for Britain, SKULL for Spain, HLF for Pirates. All of them except Pirates have entered in a dominance race of expansion by conquest so far. That isn't bad and is intended, but their size is already allowing them to push aside smaller clans of their respective nations, who cannot compete with them, because super-sized clans will easily field enough ships for any hostility mission and PB they fancy while small clans are struggling to do the same. Often they will depend on mercy by the big clans, by having to accept help from them on conditions dictated by super-sized clans which lead to their submission. Thus the super-sized clans have a mechanism to establish dominance over small clans and demand conditions for their help which can easily surpasss the level of extortion. We end up there with undesirable "quid pro quo" as a weapon like in current politics.

Not to mention this causes toxicity to enter into each nation which we were proud to have shut off this server prior to port battle update. PvE P.S. has some tendency to regulate the more brute conflicts by their discord channel set up for regulating mainly the distribution of most desired 55pts ports. But there are no means to enforce any given agreement, nor does the channel deal with trouble within nations caused by a super-sized clan establishing itself as the ruler of the nation and bringing other clans into submission.

The solution in my opinion is a limit of member numbers to all clans, like maximum 10 members to each clan. This will curb monopoly expansion by a clan and open up room for others for map conquest, but more important, will curb their powers to dominate other clans of same nation. They can still ally with whom they want, but the limit will make it much harder to make vassals and exploit a relative weakness of smaller clans. Like overriding their aspirations for port acquisition and intriguing against others. For that they would have to depend on a larger number of other captains not under their direct rule. Result will most likely see several lose alliances of clans within a larger nation instead of a monopolist block with super-sized clan as dictator.

Make it so that existing clans are forced to split up until entities of 10 players each are created, and new creations have that limit as default.

Unfortunately, I see only disadvantages

1. big clans will split into several subclans, means that they would have even fewer free slots in the clan friendlist, if these are already occupied by the subclans alone
2. new lower-ranked players are no longer willingly recruited
3. non fulltime players will find themselves without a clan after a two-week break

The to be achieved effect of this limitation would be bypassed by point 1, so that actually only disadvantages remain.

• Like 3

I think you must learn play with other people. The problem is when all people want create his own clan, why be and play alone when much clan exist? Why not mutualize ressources and.... Is the goal about this game.

This game is a conquest game. This game is an MMO (ok forget the massive) but is a multiplayer game. If you want not depend about the big clan, develop your clan, your organisation and you will have no problem . 

Edited by Brontes
  • Like 2

maybe instead of reduce number, the port points can be a limit. 

if clan has x number of people then they have y number of port point to take. 

maybe big clan with 400 people = 2000 port points 

200 people = 1000 port points

100 = 500 port points

50 = 200 port points

10 = 100 port points

<10 = 60 port points 

so if you have more people you can take more ports but if you dont hit certain point then it is limited. eventually they will run out and the small clan can take the other port. 

5 hours ago, Papillon said:

So:

CLAN1A

CLAN1B

CLAN1C

etc... Each officer leads one.  What does it solve?  Just makes management more cumbersome IMO.

Soon those sub clans will develop a life of their own. Why they should follow big boss of old CLAN1? Freedom feels much better. So CLAN1A has ties with CLAN1C while CLAN1B allies with CLAN 1D, or CLAN1B wants only to support CLAN1A if CLAN1C isn't involved... many many possibilities. Not to speak of relations with CLAN2, 3, 4... and then the relations to various foreign captains, clans, nations...

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

7 hours ago, Despe said:

Only 10 for clan? This is not playable.

It is. As I wrote, you can still ask another 10 member clan to unite for a port battle defense or what.

Just chose your members better. People who are dedicated to the cause and show up when being called will be prefered over casuals who cannot be relied on. But finally those casuals will find themselves in clans full of people of their own playing style, that is, a bunch of casuals... Maybe they don't care about RvR and port ownership at all. To each their own.

5 hours ago, Brontes said:

I think you must learn play with other people.

In answering that nonsense I quote you from game chat: "Why you play with others and not with us".

The typical patronizing style of yours, telling people not in your clan what to do and how. This quote however shows I do play with other people, but I chose myself who it is. Also, if I don't get invited (never was), why it should it be me begging you boss types to accept my humble participation for whatever you're up to do? I came to a number of hostilites and port battles, including for them about your darling acquisition Nouvelle Orléans, without being invited, that was actually enough "playing with other people" - no hellykittying need to learn anything.

I have seen enough backstabbing in the French nation already. With such people there is no 'nation' or 'common interests' or 'ressources to share', not at their terms. Smaller clans meanwhile mean democratization and loss of power to Monsieur Bigclanleader.

Nobody wants the map of PvE P.S. to look in the future like the one of PvP W.S. does today. Which is the logical consequence of supersized clan domination and nations driven by them, killing off diversity in port ownership and accumulation of power in the hands of the few.

34 minutes ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

It is. As I wrote, you can still ask another 10 member clan to unite for a port battle defense or what.

Just chose your members better. People who are dedicated to the cause and show up when being called will be prefered over casuals who cannot be relied on. But finally those casuals will find themselves in clans full of people of their own playing style, that is, a bunch of casuals... Maybe they don't care about RvR and port ownership at all. To each their own.

imho all you wrote has no sense, is not playable mechs...

• Like 1

There are a few options available to smaller clans have, in my humble opinion, that has so far worked very well; support larger clans for return favours, join them or work around them. We have numerous smaller clans helping us out and in return have provided a protected port with nice ship and port upgrades. We need them just as much as they need us. No extortion required, it's a game of collaboration(s). We work together to make the best out of it. To limit a clan size would be to cut off a limb to preserve a few. If you are British nation feel free to contact me -  we offer missions, trade, ships, resources, materials to all those whom simply need to ask. No ego control just, the promotion of a better game for all regardless of flag.

Enjoy Captain. 

Edited by Bubba Smith
speling
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bubba Smith said:

There are a few options available to smaller clans have, in my humble opinion, that has so far worked very well; support larger clans for return favours, join them or work around them. We have numerous smaller clans helping us out and in return have provided a protected port with nice ship and port upgrades. We need them just as much as they need us. No extortion required, it's a game of collaboration(s). We work together to make the best out it. To limit a clan size would be to cut off a limb to preserve a few. If you are British nation feel free to contact me -  we offer missions, trade, ships, resources, materials to all those whom simply need to ask. No ego control just, the promotion of a better game for all regardless of flag.

Enjoy Captain. 

But all of these thing u describe i think are avalaible too in bigger clans. If cap is 250 players is not obligatory recruiting 250. You can make a little clan without problems. In more playable in this game few bigger clans that much little clans.

3 hours ago, Despe said:

But all of these thing u describe i think are avalaible too in bigger clans. If cap is 250 players is not obligatory recruiting 250. You can make a little clan without problems. In more playable in this game few bigger clans that much little clans.

I agree, it really depends on what you want and how your group wants to play. Both big and smaller clans are no worse or better - just different. 

13 minutes ago, Bubba Smith said:

I agree, it really depends on what you want and how your group wants to play. Both big and smaller clans are no worse or better - just different. 

yes, but i dont think that it would be playable

• Like 1