Game-Labs Forum

Is Intel HD 4000 graphics card very good?

_Masterviolin

So I am patiently awaiting my steam key; which apparently will arrive on Friday! I however have noticed that, well, my computer may barely make it a playable game.

First off, I have not played the game yet. I am under the assumption that my graphics card, Intel HD 4000 may not hold up very well. I have checked that it meets the REQUIREMENTS, but I'm wondering if it will make the game on the playable FPs side.

Thankfully, I have a quadcore i5 and a heapton of RAM- but I fear my graphics card shall be my downfall... anyone got any idea how my graphics card might preform, and ways in advance to make the game run a bit smoother?

Thanks in advance!

-_Masterviolon

It will most definitely not hold up well. Its a integrated graphics chip, and they suffer horsepower problems. Basically inferior to all but the worst standalone graphics cards.

No idea how it will run Naval Action but in most modern games (when it came out - ie Battlefield 3/4, DayZ Standalone) it will get ~30 fps on the lowest settings possible.. and more often than not even less than 30.

It is roughly equal to a Radeon HD 5550, a card that is now considered ancient.

Will it run - yes. Will it be smooth FPS and pretty? No.

It will most definitely not hold up well. Its a integrated graphics chip, and they suffer horsepower problems. Basically inferior to all but the worst standalone graphics cards.

No idea how it will run Naval Action but in most modern games (when it came out - ie Battlefield 3/4, DayZ Standalone) it will get ~30 fps on the lowest settings possible.. and more often than not even less than 30.

It is roughly equal to a Radeon HD 5550, a card that is now considered ancient.

Will it run - yes. Will it be smooth FPS and pretty? No.

Shame... well, I'll just hope for the best? :3

Thanks for the help. 

I need a new graphics card...

Shame... well, I'll just hope for the best? :3

Thanks for the help. 

I need a new graphics card...

On the bright side the game should get more optimized as we go :P

I would recommend a nice card to go with that nice i5 :) Maybe a r290.

• Like 1

How would one replace a graphics card on a laptop, if I may bother you further? And ill check out the R920 :D

Once again, thanks for the help! :)

Sadly it is nigh impossible on a labtop. You are basically stuck with what you got out of the box.

I thought you had a desktop!

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP ProBook 4540s

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 8072MB RAM

Page File: 2951MB used, 13189MB available

Windows Dir: C:\windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_17F4103C&REV_09

Display Memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1064 MB

Shared Memory: 3031 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (40Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

run it in my laptop works OK not great but ok frame rate 30 -45 on adverage

i run on lowest setting and 800 x 600

play on desk top when i can

I should have mentioned that. :3

I will cross my fingers for a decent FPS experience, or that the game will go under some optimization :D

Sadly i think it's not a matter of optimization. There's only so much you can do to improve performance while maintaining a good graphics fidelity.

As Chilly Willy said, be prepared to play at a terrible resolution and on low quality settings, at least during big fleets battles.

Yeah... I might have to invest in a better computer then. But at least the game is playable :D

I've seen YTbers running 20-30 FPS on this game w.out lag spikes... who knows? I will have to see for myself.

Really? 20-30 fps is fairly low, I'm at about 55fps stable, with only very few drops, and from what I can tell SideStrafe is getting 60 fps, Bismarck around 40 (well, in his first video at least, not sure if his PC changed when he came back to Germany) and Jingles is at about 70 fps, all while recording. Haven't checked any other youtuber, but really, with a decent card you should get well above those 20-30 fps.

Doesn't change the issue with your GPU though, but from what I've heard from other people this game is actually playable at 20-30 fps, so if you're getting at least a somewhat fluently moving game, then that's better than nothing :)

But aslong as there is noone else with the same chip as yours, you'll have to try it out for yourself, and see if it is enough for you.

Ship ahoi Sir :-)

Well...You can't win a race with a stock car - try to upgrade your system - HD 4000 internal graphics is one of the most worse inventions intel ever built in laptops. 
For games like this, i recommend a desktop PC with at least core i5 and 16 GB RAM and a GTX 650 TI or AMD 7790 (with 2 GB DDR5, do not buy cards with the old DDR3 ram!) or higher - with this settings (i actually use here) , you receive around 40-45 fps in medium settings - the game is well playable.

Sorry to double post. I just got the game (earlier than expected!) and to my surprise, the game ran well! I had no FPS problems in low graphics and had slight but tedious lag in medium. The game is not only playable but VERY enjoyable! Thanks for the help once again, and thanks for an amazing game.

• Like 1

I am currently upgrading my system to a watercooled config.

I used the HD 4000 on my 3570k to play NA today.. max FPS wa around 35 and min went below 15.. Wich is not a pleasant experience for me.

I was used to 70+ FPS on custom settings.

So nope. the HD 4000 is not a good grafics card to game on. (MY opinion)

good and cheap GPUs will be any of the "old" NVIDIA 7xx series wich will be either out of store or extremely cheap.

Else the R9 270 and 280s are very good "bang for buck"

@Messerschmitt:

16 gigs of RAM is overkill for any game you can play. 8 gb is very well suited for every game you encounter for then next few years. Most RAM usage I ever experienced while gaming was "nearly" 4 gb. (something like 38xx mb)

However. If you use an IGPU you better have a bit more and faster RAM to get less latency between the chips. IGPU = HD x000 or AMD APUs.