Game-Labs Forum

The state of the Community in Naval Action

Tortue Agile

I would like to know genuinely what is the community and how we should act. And when acting should we act as one?  What do we need to do to be a member of the community? Are we member of the community even if we don't always agree with the direction the game is taking? Does a community member supposed to defend the game to be one?

In my opinion we are a community because we play the same game and we took the extra step to create an account on this forum and participate to the varied topics. We are not a community because we all think the same thing otherwise we would live in a echo chamber and we wouldn't need any community. So I value the diversity of opinions in our community.
As for the actual state of the community I think that some members feel discouraged and disheartened to voice their opinion. I feel that sarcasm and passive aggressive answer are reserved to a limited part of the population and it doesn't help with the malaise taking hold.

So what do you think?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Feudalism said:

I am gone, to different forums where admins are respectable and fair and where the community is correspondingly polite and fosters intelligent discussion.

I think the admins are human and capable of being frustrated by some of the whining and off topic complaints.  The 'community' rarely stays on topic in these discussions and consistently resorts to personal attacks.  We probably need to be more severely moderated.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tortue Agile said:

Are we member of the community even if we don't always agree with the direction the game is taking?

yes,
the person who answered to your topic first made quite an accurate post about that

and this is what I think

Edited by Captain2Strong

10 minutes ago, Feudalism said:

The administration ultimately sets the tone for the forum and thereby builds or degrades community.  It has been in this way degraded to insults and meaningless discussion...

And there are two sides of the conflict and who is the most guilty, that devs are now ot in the mood to discuss about their plans and ideas?

May be it's time to both of you stop?

36 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I think the admins are human and capable of being frustrated by some of the whining and off topic complaints.  The 'community' rarely stays on topic in these discussions and consistently resorts to personal attacks.  We probably need to be more severely moderated.

Sure.... but it seems that not everybody can display his frustration without consequences in the forum. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I feel sorry for devs. Maybe people should stop being so demanding. They've released the game, they don't have to do anything more yet they are still here trying to improve the game.

They're not perfect but Christ, storm in a teacup much?

That's incorrect, sir. 

Edited by Never
  • Like 1

Just now, Tortue Agile said:

Sure.... but it seems that not everybody can display his frustration without consequences in the forum. 

You can display frustration by simply stating, "I'm frustrated".  What happens in reality is someone gets sarcastic or accusatory.  Points fingers and starts name calling.  The discussion heats up and ALL parties start saying things that are bannable.  Nobody has ever been banned by simply disagreeing.  They get banned for how they disagree.  Yes I've seen occasion where admins have perhaps crossed the line, but again, they are human also.  We can't ban them, or else we would just be talking to each other...and who wants that?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Nobody has ever been banned by simply disagreeing.  

I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate. I won't name anybody to keep things chill though. You're right in everything else you say. 

Edited by Never
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Never said:

I'm pretty sure this is inaccurate. 

I don't agree with you but fair enough....I will speak for only myself.  I disagree with admins all the time and I have never been banned for it.  I don't like several aspects of the game and have spoken passionately about how it should be changed.  Still here.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I don't agree with you but fair enough....I will speak for only myself.  I disagree with admins all the time and I have never been banned for it.  I don't like several aspects of the game and have spoken passionately about how it should be changed.  Still here.

Agreed - It is all about how you state your criticism. Too many ppl start with "Oh the game will now die because of x or Y new feature and then inset some sarcastic comment". Disagreement stated with reasons and suggested solutions seems to be appreciated. 

• Like 2

Acting as a community means:

• Follow the forum and game rules.- and just about the rest of what I'll put here is right there in those rules.
  • Be respectful to each other, but more importantly to the owners of the forum and their staff.
  • See something that is anti-social or a violation of the rules, report it.  Moderators can't review every single post every single hour - often if one person is getting away with something and someone else is not, the first person just isn't being reported.
  • Be constructive.  NOBODY has EVER been banned simply for disagreeing with the game's direction or a decision that was made.  Everyone banned that I've seen was breaking one of the rules, in most cases more than once or egregiously.  You don't have to even try to find thousands of examples of people disagreeing with decisions or not liking features and they're all still here.

I don't know of too many areas of life where you can act like a jerk while demanding things and get what you want.  If you think the way to effect change is to be abusive and abrasive, you're going to be sorely disappointed (and you won't be posting here for long).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:
  • Be constructive.  NOBODY has EVER been banned simply for disagreeing with the game's direction or a decision that was made.  Everyone banned that I've seen was breaking one of the rules, in most cases more than once or egregiously.  You don't have to even try to find thousands of examples of people disagreeing with decisions or not liking features and they're all still here.

I don't think that's strictly true, Batman was banned for making a Lord of the Rings joke after the patch on the wandering forests came out.

Just now, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I don't think that's strictly true, Batman was banned for making a Lord of the Rings joke after the patch on the wandering forests came out.

Joking in feedback threads is an extremely poor idea.  :)

Read it as ALMOST NOBODY then.  Either way, it's not the common occurrence people make it out to be.

2 minutes ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

Joking in feedback threads is an extremely poor idea.  :)

Read it as ALMOST NOBODY then.  Either way, it's not the common occurrence people make it out to be.

I thought it was a good joke :P It was just very poor timing on his part I think, as I remember there was quite a lot of negative feedback when that patch first dropped.

Edited by Gregory Rainsborough