Game-Labs Forum

Campaign Ideas/concerns

The Pose

So after playing the game for a few weeks now, and longing for more, I have done some thinking about the campaign. Playing UG Civil War, a good and fun game, I would hope to see a more dynamic campaign then that. Some thing I could really never get in Civil War was it never really felt like what I was doing and or planing was effecting the overall map. I am a big naval history guy, severing in the Marine Corps, got me thinking with stuff like Wake Island, are we going to be adding naval defenses to port and or outpost? Helping or have mission with amphibious assaults? Helping naval bombardment to help Army and Marine battles like seen in age of sail. I just hope for a more dynamic setting than click the next battle and more from there. It is the only thing I can say negative about UG Civil War.

RTW and HOI4 together is rather unique combination?
But i see it as possible solution. By the way. Big ship constructions takes years and from the looks of it you can skip 1 to 5 years already in game. that mech is in the game already so turn based game is more likely scenario. Perhaps with 3 months of progress or HOI4 like time advance?
Most likely we can't spam big ships but we can spam smaller ships in larger quantities. Hard to say from the limited data.

• Like 1

I hope to campaign close to RtW model ... maybe more detailed map and two speed for turns ... slower for war time and faster for peace time. I really like what-if possibilities and history-based variants, I like sand box. I'm afraid about aircrafts, I would prefer old and WWI like campaigns ...

3 hours ago, Illya von Einzbern said:

RTW and HOI4 together is rather unique combination?
But i see it as possible solution. By the way. Big ship constructions takes years and from the looks of it you can skip 1 to 5 years already in game. that mech is in the game already so turn based game is more likely scenario. Perhaps with 3 months of progress or HOI4 like time advance?
Most likely we can't spam big ships but we can spam smaller ships in larger quantities. Hard to say from the limited data.

Yeah it could work doe. It depends on what elements you take from it like @Matto's suggestion, heavy on RTW mechanics but with HOI4 map and some of the features incorporated into said map.

You could do the opposite, more HOI4 heavy but with RTW features and mechanics too.

Both methods could work actually which is quite nice.

I Like HOI's emphasis on range of operation and more relevant positioning of ships, task groups and roles compared to RTW. But the overall turn based structure and campaign mechanics should be more focused to RTW imo, at least during peace time.

The old Steam and Iron game is great for operational campaign during war time, which I feel is probably better than HoI. That said, its probably quite difficult to effectively integrate. 

Giving how similar the campaign is rtw during my brief experience with it in 0.60, I'd be pretty happy if its simply "RTW Plus". Main things I hope for is more control over task group formation (I still want RNG to make me fight in non-ideal situations, but at least some agency over fleet composition even if I cant always have every battle with the "ideal" fleet), and some more strategic decision making besides putting a buncha of ship in 1 sea zone and hope for stuff to happen in your favor.

8 hours ago, Mycophobia said:

I Like HOI's emphasis on range of operation and more relevant positioning of ships, task groups and roles compared to RTW. But the overall turn based structure and campaign mechanics should be more focused to RTW imo, at least during peace time.

The old Steam and Iron game is great for operational campaign during war time, which I feel is probably better than HoI. That said, its probably quite difficult to effectively integrate. 

Giving how similar the campaign is rtw during my brief experience with it in 0.60, I'd be pretty happy if its simply "RTW Plus". Main things I hope for is more control over task group formation (I still want RNG to make me fight in non-ideal situations, but at least some agency over fleet composition even if I cant always have every battle with the "ideal" fleet), and some more strategic decision making besides putting a buncha of ship in 1 sea zone and hope for stuff to happen in your favor.

Yeah hense why in-coorperating both things would be good anyways, RTW's UI was horrible and harsh plus basic so having some HOI4 elements would be nice. Plus HOI4 is just far easier to navigate compared to steam and iron, because you have to also take into condieration HCI effeciency when you design any user interface (so why would i use a UI that takes 6 clicks to do something when i can use another that does it in 2?)

Obviously with a focus on RTW's but i still think that could be improved upon anyways. You could to a total war system as well, so turn based for the world map, but real time for any actual battles you fight in.

So maybe RTW as a main focus with elements from HOI4 and Total war would be the best combo in general for a decent UI, a lot of work but can be done. Not to mention fog of war, intel gathering, spying etc. that also helps with seeing enemy fleets and groups in general and maybe even counter intelligence that gives you a false impression of the fleet.

So the AI could pretend a big fleet is coming making you think you need to send one in kind but ends up being 5 ships vs your 30, but now your main fleet is engaged so the AI sends like 34 ships to your own 12 ships back at main base.

On 11/19/2019 at 11:39 PM, Cptbarney said:

Yeah hense why in-coorperating both things would be good anyways, RTW's UI was horrible and harsh plus basic so having some HOI4 elements would be nice. Plus HOI4 is just far easier to navigate compared to steam and iron, because you have to also take into condieration HCI effeciency when you design any user interface (so why would i use a UI that takes 6 clicks to do something when i can use another that does it in 2?)

Obviously with a focus on RTW's but i still think that could be improved upon anyways. You could to a total war system as well, so turn based for the world map, but real time for any actual battles you fight in.

So maybe RTW as a main focus with elements from HOI4 and Total war would be the best combo in general for a decent UI, a lot of work but can be done. Not to mention fog of war, intel gathering, spying etc. that also helps with seeing enemy fleets and groups in general and maybe even counter intelligence that gives you a false impression of the fleet.

So the AI could pretend a big fleet is coming making you think you need to send one in kind but ends up being 5 ships vs your 30, but now your main fleet is engaged so the AI sends like 34 ships to your own 12 ships back at main base.

Hopefully not too nerco'ing but I just want to add Victory at Sea Pacific's campaign system is worth looking into. It did a very good job combinging the strategic maneuver of ships with tactical combat, and became even better once carriers are involved. Even without, it can help making the tranisition between tactical combat and fleet movement over the waters more smooth. I don't think it will be too easy to incorporate into a very RTW style campaign right now, but is a good possibility to look at.

Peace time management however should definitely remain fairly similar in style to the RTW games, with some polishing and quality of life improvements ofcourse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mycophobia said:

Hopefully not too nerco'ing but I just want to add Victory at Sea Pacific's campaign system is worth looking into. It did a very good job combinging the strategic maneuver of ships with tactical combat, and became even better once carriers are involved. Even without, it can help making the tranisition between tactical combat and fleet movement over the waters more smooth. I don't think it will be too easy to incorporate into a very RTW style campaign right now, but is a good possibility to look at.

Peace time management however should definitely remain fairly similar in style to the RTW games, with some polishing and quality of life improvements ofcourse.

I dont consider a post to be a necro unless its 6 months+ or 12months+ if the post is relevant and decent (in general i dont really care lol).

But yeah i've never played it but sounds pretty cool, good thing is we don't need to take everything from these games but just the good bits or the best bits from those games that would suit whatever section of the campaign, UI etc. Maybe not too cannibilistic, but taking things from other games that work is never a bad idea as long as you can expand upon and even make it better!

Quite excited for alpha-3 i predict friday morning (maybe lol).