Game-Labs Forum

Sepreate targeting

Uvatha

was wondering if we will have the ability to target sperate ships with the main guns and the secondary guns....That way you can target  a bb with main guns and smaller ships with secondary guns without all going to 1 target......

5 minutes ago, DeiLwynnA said:

if you let it automatically target, it will separate targeting between main guns and secondary guns but the drawback is that it often changes target which wastes ammo as it has to retrain the ranging by firing a ranging volley every time it changes target

Yeah thats screwed me over a few times in some of the missions, kinda annoying when the AI goes 'ahh but m8, ship ovah daer....'

/;w;/

2 hours ago, DeiLwynnA said:

if you let it automatically target, it will separate targeting between main guns and secondary guns

Not if the primary target is within the range of the secondary guns as well as the main battery. If it is, then they fire at the primary which is completely wrong. I can't count the times my primary target has been within say, 5" range (roughly 11K) and the secondary 5" has held to the main target (which the can neither hit consistently nor hurt in the slightest) while 2 or 3 DD's or Torpedo Boats have closed unfired at to within torpedo firing range. That is what secondaries are for... to protect the ship from closer in enemies, not to engage distant primary targets unless they have nothing else closer to shoot at. This HAS to be fixxed.

Edited by Rick W
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick W said:

Not if the primary target is within the range of the secondary guns as well as the main battery. If it is, then they fire at the primary which is completely wrong. I can't count the times my primary target has been within say, 5" range (roughly 11K) and the secondary 5" has held to the main target (which the can neither hit consistently nor hurt in the slightest) while 2 or 3 DD's or Torpedo Boats have closed unfired at to within torpedo firing range. That is what secondaries are for... to protect the ship from closer in enemies, not to engage distant primary targets unless they have nothing else closer to shoot at. This HAS to be fixxed.

Yes, the whole issue of allocating targets for secondary targets has come up elsewhere.

While we're at it, no reason why guns on BOTH sides of the ship ought not fire if there are targets available.

My experience is the secondary/tertiary guns generally will engage a lighter target if it's within a certain range, or if it seems to think it's more likely to damage it. A real problem, however, is that once you select a target manually then everything will try to shoot it if within range, which obviously can lead to the sorts of things you've mentioned. 

I often use the "save" mode on my guns so small calibres don't waste their time on stupidly small chances to hit. If I see they've switched to a new target but aren't shooting (unfortunately "save" prevents it from doing a range shot, which is annoying because once ranged it might well have a hit chance that would allow it to pass the "save" threshold of around 10-11%) I switch it to normal then back to "save".

• Like 1

Would be great if we could allocate targets to the main guns and secondaries/tertiaries separately if we want to and we really need the secondaries to fire at targets of opportunity when they don't have the main target in view. There is nothing like punching through an enemy battle line while your guns are blazing on both sides of the ship...

• Like 2