Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Rehabilitate the Pirate Frigate's sail profile


Rehabilitate the Pirate Frigate's sail profile  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Should the Pirate Frigate's sail profile be somehow changed to make it better upwind?

    • Improve the upwind capability of the Pirate Frigate to make it more competitive with other 5th rates.
      16
    • It's OK as-is, and needs no change.
      9
    • Other/more nuanced answer in the comments.
      0


Recommended Posts

I posit that the Pirate Frigate is not fun to sail in its current iteration; this is largely due to the terrible upwind power of the ship.

This problem came about when the devs changed the sail profiles for all ships to match their actual deployed sails (a good change overall). Unfortunately for the Frigate and Pirate Frigate, they seem to be missing a Main Topgallant Staysail which every other ship in the game has deployed. I suspect the pirates sold it for more rum...

If you examine the speed of the Pirate Frig before the patch here: https://sites.google.com/view/speedtrials/old-speeds you will see that it used to be very powerful upwind. I suspect this is what the devs intended all along, much like Pirate Rig goes upwind. 

Personal experience, I used to love sailing the ship, and had flexibility in sailing. Now, my 14.6 pirate frigate consistently falls out of sight behind my friend's 14.3 Belle Poule on open world roams, since the upwind performance is so awful. God help you if you need to get upwind in battle.

TL;DR: Pirate rig go upwind, pirate frigate go downwind??? Give it another jib sail!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Ah mate.

So many ships that need a look at their stats. Pavel, essex, frigate, third rate, cerberus, mercury, rattle heavy...

You may have a point...but you also never know when one of these changes will be rolled into a later balance patch!

It's still good to bring up and hear from people.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the whole pirate faction needs a remake. It should never be on par with other nations in therms of SPECIALLY the RoE. The pirates ar outlaws, lawless, they are pirates for a reason, they are outcasts of their former nations, they are wanted for several reasons and nothing in the game reflects any of this.

Earlier they used to have the outlaw mechanic that the devs removed due to Reinforcement zone exploit (which made many players quit ASWELL) well where is that zone now. That faction should be the full on PvP faction making their own laws between clans. The times were so simple back then, if you had an argument against an other player you could duel it out and be done with it, IT WAS SO EASY, and it was just what sandbox was about.

To become a pirate you had to do do a felony against your own nation, no one were "born" pirates, you became one, but due to people "skipping" warnings that by doing a felony you would become a pirate, THAT was removed aswell. Some mechanic for a pardon would obviously have made this better without the devs catering to the cry babies that "didnt see" the warning two times before they engaged an ai from the same nation.

Probably alot more i could mention, but we also have the Pirate Frigate, i remember seeing one 3 winters ago, rare as hell, reason was that only pirates could make them, they were the maniacs managing to build a frigate that could be equipped with 12pd longs on the weatherdeck without loosing its stability. But people cried about that aswell, the permit was tradeable and in the end everyone could make it.

 

You can say what you want about the mechanics that they were bad and only made the game "harder", but these UNIQUE mechanics was something that made the pirate faction special, you felt that a pirate would probably show no quarter against other nationals and if you were a pirate yourself, you would probably be friendly towards other pirates because you wouldnt want a problem with that player or that players clan and it was not another mirrored "nation" like even GREAT BRITAIN!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

the whole pirate faction needs a remake. It should never be on par with other nations in therms of SPECIALLY the RoE. The pirates ar outlaws, lawless, they are pirates for a reason, they are outcasts of their former nations, they are wanted for several reasons and nothing in the game reflects any of this.

Earlier they used to have the outlaw mechanic that the devs removed due to Reinforcement zone exploit (which made many players quit ASWELL) well where is that zone now. That faction should be the full on PvP faction making their own laws between clans. The times were so simple back then, if you had an argument against an other player you could duel it out and be done with it, IT WAS SO EASY, and it was just what sandbox was about.

To become a pirate you had to do do a felony against your own nation, no one were "born" pirates, you became one, but due to people "skipping" warnings that by doing a felony you would become a pirate, THAT was removed aswell. Some mechanic for a pardon would obviously have made this better without the devs catering to the cry babies that "didnt see" the warning two times before they engaged an ai from the same nation.

Probably alot more i could mention, but we also have the Pirate Frigate, i remember seeing one 3 winters ago, rare as hell, reason was that only pirates could make them, they were the maniacs managing to build a frigate that could be equipped with 12pd longs on the weatherdeck without loosing its stability. But people cried about that aswell, the permit was tradeable and in the end everyone could make it.

 

You can say what you want about the mechanics that they were bad and only made the game "harder", but these UNIQUE mechanics was something that made the pirate faction special, you felt that a pirate would probably show no quarter against other nationals and if you were a pirate yourself, you would probably be friendly towards other pirates because you wouldnt want a problem with that player or that players clan and it was not another mirrored "nation" like even GREAT BRITAIN!

This sounds like the sort of great suggestion that gets posted in the forum by some dedicated player and goes ignored, funny that it actually used to be in the game. Sounds so much better than what the Pirates have now become. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pirate nation is a joke.

Mainly alts and egotists.

So sad that noobs think pirates sail 1st rates and hold ports.

Only a small number of real Pirate clans exist. The rest are just nationals who want the scary flag.

Make pirates.....pirates again.

Pirate frigate is special case and should never be seen with a national. Especially painted outlaw.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 3:04 AM, Intrepido said:

Ah mate.

So many ships that need a look at their stats. Pavel, essex, frigate, third rate, cerberus, mercury, rattle heavy...

But well, it is better to add new ships-content instead of fixing what you have already in the game.

I was about to create a topic about this !

Pirate frigate is just fine, excellent downwind sailor. 

Problem is, it is worthless due to having too little hp and armour, like essex, cerberus, frigate, all the 5th rates (other than trinco and endy) and even some 6th rates.

The only worthy whips at 5th rates are Trincomalee and Endymion, plus the DLC ships cause they are free. And those will be the only ships you will see, except some guys experimenting or they are newbie.

Why would I sail another 5th rate while Trinco and Endy has same or better speed, has double broadside power, has double armour and hp ??? Even  if they have the same hp, these 2 has double the firepower.

Same goes with 6th rates, the LRQ and Niagra are still decent 6th rates, Snow is good with her little hp pool, but rest are just garbage, place holders.

@admin please give some love to these garbage 5th and 6th rates, some hp buff at least ? (bigger the hp of the ship, bigger the repair bonus due to stacking repair mods + crew 4 (overpowered))

Edited by AeRoTR
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, AeRoTR said:

I was about to create a topic about this !

Pirate frigate is just fine, excellent downwind sailor. 

Problem is, it is worthless due to having too little hp and armour, like essex, cerberus, frigate, all the 5th rates (other than trinco and endy) and even some 6th rates.

The only worthy whips at 5th rates are Trincomalee and Endymion, plus the DLC ships cause they are free. And those will be the only ships you will see, except some guys experimenting or they are newbie.

Why would I sail another 5th rate while Trinco and Endy has same or better speed, has double broadside power, has double armour and hp ??? Even  if they have the same hp, these 2 has double the firepower.

Same goes with 6th rates, the LRQ and Niagra are still decent 6th rates, Snow is good with her little hp pool, but rest are just garbage, place holders.

@admin please give some love to these garbage 5th and 6th rates, some hp buff at least ? (bigger the hp of the ship, bigger the repair bonus due to stacking repair mods + crew 4 (overpowered))

its actually strange how they didnt pick the Cherubim frigate as the no permit cost frigate, because i never see someone using it and it should normally be the GO TO frigate, but instead we have the 2nd strongest 5th rate to craft with ease. Its so many decisions that have been done that i dont understand.

23 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Think on the Pavel.

Almost same costs as Bucentaure, 20 combat marks and worse at almost every stat. Who is going to choose Pavel?

Yeah weird aswell. I can come up with 2 things on the top of my head they can do to make the pavel more favourable over the bucentaure without editing the stats.

French lineships highest gundeck armament should be the 36pd, that would be a unique feature, and would give the pavel a ranged firepower advantage.

Allow only russian ships to be equipped with edinorogs. This would also favor the Ingermanland since the go to ship in the 4th rates are the carronade agamemnon.

 

 

Edited by erelkivtuadrater
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...