Game-Labs Forum

USS Pennsylvania 140 guns (1837)

Jay Gatsby

If we are to disregard timelines then can the Brits have HMS Warrior! (Forgive me for the sarcasm). I don't think that we should implement this behemoth as it is out of the timeframe. Look for ships of the line within the time zone and just because one nation gets a 140 gun ship (Spain) does not mean that all nations should be entitled to one. Every ship had strengths and weaknesses and the Trinidad had far more weaknesses than strengths as can be seen from many reports of her day.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are plenty of other choices besides USS Pennsylvania.  You have the USS Independence, USS Washington, USS Franklin, USS Columbus, USS Delaware, USS Ohio, and USS North Carolina.  All rated between 74 and 90 guns.  All carrying a variety of long and medium 32-pounders, 32-pounder carronades, and 42-pounders.  If they are built anywhere close to as sturdy as the United States class frigates they'll be pretty stout.  As far as first rates go, several were laid down but only the USS Pennsylvania was ever completed and she was obsolete by the time she sailed.  She made only one short voyage and then sat in Norfolk for 23 years until burned to prevent the Confederacy from capturing her.  If she'd been completed on time she'd have truly been a wonder and probably more than a match for any other 1st rate out there but even then she'd sit on the very edge of this game's time period.  Its debatable as to which side of that edge she'd be on.

Realistically, one on one combat, yeah it's going to be really freaking good but if it is outnumbered, it'll come down eventually. Also, the HMS is an ironclad and is way out of the time frame in both start and actual finish.

I am sure the Pennsylvania could be insanely expensive. I haven't played EVE but I have seen many post regarding it for example, well imagine you have a battleship vs 1 frigate, yeah the battleship will win. This game has multiple elements that can affect the outcome of a battle like wind, if a smaller ship has the wind over the Penn then I am sure it can win or at least flee.

In the end, I leave it to the Dev's, I understand and accept the we (The US) didn't have a large quantity of ships around that time.

If we are to disregard timelines then can the Brits have HMS Warrior! (Forgive me for the sarcasm). I don't think that we should implement this behemoth as it is out of the timeframe. Look for ships of the line within the time zone and just because one nation gets a 140 gun ship (Spain) does not mean that all nations should be entitled to one. Every ship had strengths and weaknesses and the Trinidad had far more weaknesses than strengths as can be seen from many reports of her day.

I'll see your Warrior, and I'll raise you Zheng He's flagship:

ZhengHesShipbyLarsPlougmannFlickr.jpg

LOL. That's an interesting design. Did that thing even 'work'? 

Well, no. It's a speculative model, based on reports of length and size that are hardly credible. Even today we would have a damned hard time building a wooden vessel that size that wouldn't split in half.

LOL. That's an interesting design. Did that thing even 'work'? 

Apparently. Zheng He's flagships had nine masts, were allegedly over 400 feet long, 170 wide and he sailed them as far as Africa in his journeys. Scared the Hell out of the locals when he'd show up with 300 ships and almost 30,000 men. But that was the whole point I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

Apparently. Zheng He's flagships had nine masts, were allegedly over 400 feet long, 170 wide and he sailed them as far as Africa in his journeys. Scared the Hell out of the locals when he'd show up with 300 ships and almost 30,000 men. But that was the whole point I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheng_He

Allegedly...I'm much more inclined to go with maturin here and say those models are speculative exxageration.

I mean, unless the Chinese had some *really* revolutionary building techniques or managed to reinforce that ship with metal, that thing would simply start slowly disconstructing itself in anything stiffer than a stiff breeze. 

Well being in construction before the end period one could hardly call it a Prototype plus there is no reason it cant be at it its original 1816 specs. Plus it would have been launched earlier than 1837 but budget constraints SIGNIFICANTLY slowed her construction by several years. If it was not for the monetary problems there is a strong possibility that the USS Pennsylvania could have been launched as early as 1829