Game-Labs Forum

More Dev Communication needed

Tankaxe

We really need more communication of the developers as discussions in the forums are going in all directions. We also dont really hear much from them besides acknowledging bugs and from what iv'e seen has recently stopped giving feedback to suggestions. 

I propose a dev diary so that we can see what the devs are focusing their efforts on so forum posts and tester can stay and keep relevant one topic at time. It should be moderated just enough to keep everything ontracks and not derail into a historical debate as we've seen multiple times.

for an example say the developers release a diary on torpedoes on how they work and how they planned to go forward with it. Testers can give feedback to how they are and leave comments and suggestions for any proposed future development on one topic.

This will help keep the community focused and focus feedback in areas that can be proven useful.

• Like 11

I also feel the dev can potentially open the floor on some of the more contentious subjects like damage model, torpedo's, or carrier. 

It will help the player understand the position of the team and hopefully either produce more contributive discussion, and ensure that useful points are focused at one place rather than spread across probably 10 threads right now.

A dev dairy is also extremely helpful in keeping us informed and connected with the devs and knowing what they are planning. A general roadmap can also be very helpful as well.

• Like 6

Maybe a Dev topic of the day/week thread where they pic what topic out of a list of community submitted concerns to cover. Ideally the suggestion thread would be done via a vote system where posts with the most likes would be given the highest priority.

• Like 3

Yeah this, considering the fact we are helping them test and build the game it would make sense for them to a bit more on the ball with things especially since we need to know what they are doing so that we can prepare in advance and also start discussing new topics too.

• Like 4

We need to be able to converse with them as we literally rip apart everything they've tried so hard to achieve as harsh as it sounds, what they imagined is likely not what their players want and they should see to their players wants and needs to have the best game possible.

• Like 3

would just like more info to clear up some of the stuff on the fourms so new topics could be brought up.

we litereally have a fourm post on what would you like this game to be and none of the option are even what the game is going to be.

Edited by DarkTerren
  • Like 8

29 minutes ago, Absolute0CA said:

We need to be able to converse with them as we literally rip apart everything they've tried so hard to achieve as harsh as it sounds, what they imagined is likely not what their players want and they should see to their players wants and needs to have the best game possible.

Sadly i have to agree with this.
It saddens to see all the CVphobia, subphobias and not allowing the game to have features that age of sail has and general. Some communication of the direction of the game would be more than good at the moment.

I feel like this lack of direction and clear frames tears us apart.

Age of sails naval landings are awesome, Generals combat system great. So many tools to use and yet we have no clue what there is to come. Plans sounded good but that's that

• Like 4

Honestly the priority dev blog should be campaign features since we have players jumping on board either without reading the website with only their own fantasy in their heads. Or they do read it but are just miss understood on how it works.

This is my preference but if the devs prefer to do a dev blog on campaign once they have it close to working order I have no qualms about it.

My next preferred dev blog is just their statement on how they plan to handle the topic of aircraft carriers and other advancements in the 1940s+. Since most players are mostly fascinated with the era or it's the only part of naval history they know.

From my experience with these Devs on Naval Action, while they are happy to read over the forum posts, and they sometimes give input, you will not find them devoting much more time to this form of communication than what you see now.  I'm not saying they don't listen, because they do.  But holding our hands on the forums is not a priority.  Keep tossing ideas out there, and I am sure they will be read, but you just can't expect them to react to every idea which we propose.  You will most definitely NOT see a published plan, because their plans are subject to change and the drama that ensues when the forum members think they have been lied to is incredible.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

From my experience with these Devs on Naval Action, while they are happy to read over the forum posts, and they sometimes give input, you will not find them devoting much more time to this form of communication than what you see now.  I'm not saying they don't listen, because they do.  But holding our hands on the forums is not a priority.  Keep tossing ideas out there, and I am sure they will be read, but you just can't expect them to react to every idea which we propose.  You will most definitely NOT see a published plan, because their plans are subject to change and the drama that ensues when the forum members think they have been lied to is incredible.

Yeah i can see the logic behind that. Guess humans obviously prefer more consistent contact but if thats how they usually role thats fine.

I would actually be interested to see what they are doing but yeah i don't blame them if they want to focus solely on doing the game and surprising us with stuff.

Just hope they don't become like valve (shame really).

Nelson hull has me excited lol.

I would love a Paradox Interactive Style Dev Diary where they just make a quick post to show off what they have been doing for the past week, with maybe one or two pictures of some new feature or rework. Even if it's just the changed center of mass for a hull or something minor like that.

• Like 1

While communication is nice, lets not forget:

alot of people don't read the most basic information already out there.

So its effect has limits.

It also has the danger that when things are still "in the flow", one statement can easily turn into a "lie" whenever it was or not.

Also given how sometimes people tend to interpret things makes saying anything a minefield...

having said all that, a FAQ or a questioning hour or blog post ect once a month maybe all 3 months, would be really nice. 

• Like 1

I think this thread is alittle unfair, if one reads back through the forum since announcement, Dev’s have commented on most of the feedback, they just don't repeat themselves again and again, why would they. I think most people have just missed there commentary from time to time.

As they say, they’re small teams and wouldn’t it be better, as they do, spend more time in development than pandering to this circle. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

As they say, they’re small teams and wouldn’t it be better, as they do, spend more time in development than pandering to this circle. 

I agree that they don't have to reply to every comment, but a few posts about what they are up to or what their vision for the next patches is would be nice. That way, we would be able to give them better feedback since they could easily use those posts to ask questions to the community (eg "This is our idea on tech progression. What do you think?").

• Like 1

It's entirely possible that they might put out the odd poll to see what the community thinks, but even that becomes problematic.  Look at the Aircraft Carrier thread.  The majority are in favour of this.  From that, many will feel that it is a done deal and therefor will have raised expectations.  When the Devs stomp on this because it's a DREADNOUGHT game, these players will feel betrayed.  The worst thing they can do is ask the community for advice, frankly.  Having said that, they should just ask me.....just because.....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

It's entirely possible that they might put out the odd poll to see what the community thinks, but even that becomes problematic.  Look at the Aircraft Carrier thread.  The majority are in favour of this.  From that, many will feel that it is a done deal and therefor will have raised expectations.  When the Devs stomp on this because it's a DREADNOUGHT game, these players will feel betrayed.  The worst thing they can do is ask the community for advice, frankly.  Having said that, they should just ask me.....just because.....

I can say for a fact i wouldnt be betrayed thou some one has stated they would be out if carriers were in. Lol

I can understand the need to avoid PR drama, but general outline to show what the team is currently working alone would be great to know what the team is working to address. This can help shape forum discussion in the right direction and help us understand dev's position. If anything, I'd be happy with the pre-.62 patch update from the dev to tell us what are some changes being worked on for the next patch.

• Like 2

Some communication of somekind is needed from thes devs, as this not only shows in another way they are taking things from the forums in retrospect but also we can see a bit of their thinking and can help with suggestions (not going to hard on them as we want to maintain a decent relationship between player and dev).

It also makes sense since are all alpha testers so our feedback is more important than those post release as we need to feedback the correct information to the devs to ensure mechanics are fine tuned, bugs are sorted and lots of things to do that have multiple choices to suit most peoples needs (you can't please everyone but if at least half my needs are statisfied im fine in general).

What i dont want to see is a valve, with no communication no idea what they are doing and therefore no ability to excerise any changes or suggestions in anyway shape or form.

Even if carriers werent going to be implemented i would be fine with that since i understand this game is not solely focused on carriers and i won't simply quit the game just because one/two aspect/s of the game is removed or altered (yeah i might be annoyed/frustrated/angreh).

Dear players,

Developers promised to post the roadmap and will do it soon. They are a small team (3 full time developers) but are constantly present on this forum to gather feedback and suggestions. Do not worry that they do not communicate as often as you want, this time is better spent on getting the content out.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Ink said:

Dear players,

Developers promised to post the roadmap and will do it soon. They are a small team (3 full time developers) but are constantly present on this forum to gather feedback and suggestions. Do not worry that they do not communicate as often as you want, this time is better spent on getting the content out.

aaaaaaahhhhhhh, ok didnt realise the dev team was THAT small.

Well i fully understand why lol. If it's easier they can just do it when they have the time to do so, that they aren't rushed and stressed out.

Sorry if i sounded insentive, guess i need to used to the fact not even dev studio is a triple aaaaaaayy company (hope you get the reference).

From only 3 peeps the work they have done is beyond amazing actually, i appreciate how much work they put into from the modelling, texturing (i need to get better at that) to the insane amount of code that is required for any of this too work.

ill keep my gob shut a bit moar regarding this though.

thank you!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ink said:

Dear players,

well a roadmap is certainly something I would like.

4 hours ago, Ink said:

Dear players,

Ah I certainly don't want to take too much time and resources. A road-map would be nice and thanks for the feed back. 

Now I feel bad because now I feel I was demanding.