Game-Labs Forum

Interesting idea. I'm sure the devs went for speed because it's a simpler concept.

How would your system deal with something like the big marine diesels, or USN turbo-electrics? One doesn't have boilers, the other isn't so directly affected (or at least there are other significant factors).

Not that I'm trying to poo-poo your idea, just wanting to help refine it and toss up some considerations that are valid real world examples.

19 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Selecting the engine will change the power plant type e.g.  select diesel engine and the power plant changes to diesel and the "number of" changes, if the hull was DD then the maximin could be 4, for 4 diesel engine driven propellers. 

They could not fit 4 propellers on a DD with a shoe horn. The entire reason for multiple props was that during the WW2 time frame you could only run about 60,000 max shp thru any one prop. This was due to size and efficiency constraints necessitated by old tech. Earlier those numbers would have been even lower with older ships. Fletcher class DDs used nearly 60,000 shp thru 2 props to achieve 35 + knots.

52 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Hence, the drive engines selection comes first, then as exactly as you've said "boilers were designed" next.

You of all people should appreciate that the wording is very important to apply correct application and description, you know as to all your postings of historical authenticities. 

I don't think the designer tool will ever be develop to point of machinery placements (and weight off sets), it was suggested months ago and soon after announcement too but wasn't develop, this would be the closes practical solution to the cause. 

I think we're talking past each other. Back in my fleet review thread I mentioned we should be able to pick boilers, fuel type, "engines" all individually. I think I may just not be getting how you're saying what your saying.

Edit: Yeah I had a total brain fart, IMHO boiler count doesn't matter didly squat as it would be directly to speed after boiler type, fuel, hull, and engines are all selected, so its very much a moot point stat IMHO

Edited by Absolute0CA

Hi all,

I like that speed is set directly.  If it wasn't, and you had a certain speed in mind for a ship, it would make it very tedious to optimise other aspects of the ship.  If say, you wanted to put bigger guns or more armour on it, you would then have to go back and modify boiler numbers or types to get the speed back up to what you want it to be. 

I usually have a specific or rough speed in mind when I design a ship, so the current system works very well for me, though obviously other people may take a different approach in designing ships.

15 hours ago, RedParadize said:

It's a question of from where you stand in the process.

If you are the admiralty, then you ask for a specific speed as a spec. If you are the designer the you are on the receiving end and ask engineers for specific power. Engineers will then have to make it happen.

Since we're playing as the admiralty, that might explain why we're specifying speed. That said, it'd be nice being able to number and place the boilers. Especially place.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Diabolic_Wave said:

Since we're playing as the admiralty, that might explain why we're specifying speed. That said, it'd be nice being able to number and place the boilers. Especially place.

I don't really mind either way, i like the system as it is but if adds the customizability of ships then yeah.

Although bear in mind only 3 guys are working on this, so it will take them so time to get around everything (hopefully this game becomes pretty successful so moar devs can be hired).

I like the idea of having X amount of boilers and being able to set speed.
It's like having some engines as back up just in case and still maintain max speed (to a degree).
On subs they had multiple engines on row per shaft. i don't think it would be that bad to have 6 disel and 4 electric engines on ship just to keep the thing moving.
But this would also allow ships to run out of fuel and move with electric engine.