Game-Labs Forum

Damage Model Improvements

NuclearNadal

So far the compartmentalization on ships is a good plus for the damage model but it doesn’t allow for certain things such as:

-Capsizing

-Large Holes in the sides of ships (currently the armor just buckled and blackens)

-Turret Roofs being blown off

-Masts and superstructure being toppled

-Better Ammunition detonations 

Whilst it isn’t fair to expect all of the aforementioned things to be fixed, the main thing I can think of is capsizing. Personally, splitting the ship lengthwise down the middle in terms of the compartments would let the ship settle in the water to one side, possibly capsizing it instead of the endless times where the ship immideatly rights itself when at 0% Health (be it flooding or structural damage) and then sinks bow first or stern first almost always splitting in half. It would also allow for a more in depth graphical damage model. 

Better Ammo dets I would also like to see. There is video evidence of a BB having their magazine blow up (HMS Barham, the British Pathe has an excellent angle of it. I wouldn’t take the Arizona video footage though as it’s a lot less clear). I suggest having ammo dets mirror these as it just seems more realistic. 

The others that I have listed I couldn’t really think of them as a priority but it’s just something to think about. An example: HMS Lion (I think), SMS Seydiltz, and maybe SMS Derflinger all lost turrets due to propellant fires though not on the scale of which sank the ship. HMS Lion was only saved as the turret roof of one that was hit was blown off. This allowed the propellant to vent out rather than be contained within the ship and deteonate the aft magazine. 

• Like 4

Graphical improvements would be a nice polishing feature, but I mostly want the damaged textures to be reworked. It would look much better as dents/explosion marks than just a uniform gray skin with clear lines. The hits don't have to be realistic, I just don't want to see that clear border between damaged and clean.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:18 PM, NuclearNadal said:

-Capsizing

-Large Holes in the sides of ships (currently the armor just buckled and blackens)

-Turret Roofs being blown off

-Masts and superstructure being toppled

-Better Ammunition detonations 

This (partially) will be on the roadmap. This is and integral part of naval combat of the early 20th century.
We do not know when it will happen but a lot of visual improvements will happen before Steam launch

• Turrets will fly off and if tech is not developed flash fires can cause devastating chain reactions
  • Masts and funnels will fall
  • Flash fires will happen as described in the German battle-cruisers book on Seydlitz. And i will personally make sure it looks as historical as possible.
    • "I looked aft towards turrets C and D. It was an electrifying sight, the aft part of the ship was enveloped in a blue red flash flame, that reached to the height of the mast tops. The munitions chambers of both turrets were enveloped in flame and it could only be seconds before entire ship would be engulfed and explode. ... It only remained for us to shoot as quickly as possible to achieve something in this last moments. So I gave the command for rapid fire and so either a heavy or a medium salvo was discharged from the guns every 10 seconds"
      • Artillerie Offizier, Korvettenkapitan Richard Foerster.

• Like 8

afaik it depends on what "engine" the devs have decided to use. some engines model stuff very well, frostbite engine etc but some engines aren't about visuals, not sure which engine the devs have used in this game. but I get what you mean, it does look a bit rough. then again, its still alpha.

On 11/10/2019 at 3:49 AM, Mooncatt said:

afaik it depends on what "engine" the devs have decided to use. some engines model stuff very well, frostbite engine etc but some engines aren't about visuals, not sure which engine the devs have used in this game. but I get what you mean, it does look a bit rough. then again, its still alpha.

Pretty sure the load up screen says "Powered by Unity", so there's your answer.