Game-Labs Forum

Ships won't shoot

Joryl

2 hours ago, Joryl said:

anyone know a workaround when your ships just stop firing for no reason even if you switch targets and have plenty of ammo?

since you're not giving us any information as to what the issue might be... no we don't?

blind guess - turret traverse taking a while after a turn?

6 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

since you're not giving us any information as to what the issue might be... no we don't?

Sorry yeah not a lot of info doing the last mission where you fight the enemy " Yamato ship" I was able to wear it down with my heavily armored bbs and my ships absorbed all its ammo on the main guns of the opposing BBS,  however after that happened my 4 remaining battleships would not fire no matter what I tried :(  

Sometimes the ships that are controlled by AI (those following your lead ship) get stuck on maneuvering like idiots so their gun crews can't shoot. I fix that by clicking on the rudder bar and making sure it says "Forward". The ship will now go straight and the guns have time to aim and shoot. They'll keep going straight ahead forever, though, so need to check that they don't end up miles from the battle.

Edit: What I think happens is that their AI keeps overcompensating in order to get into their assigned postions. Imagine if you will their captain going like "Oh, noes! I'm in the wrong place! I must turn the rudder all the way to the right in order to get back into my position! Oh...wait! Now it's wrong the other way! I must turn the rudder all the way to the left!" And so on and so forth...

Edited by Nereng
Added more thoughts.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Tyrendian89 said:

13 hours ago, Nereng said:

Sometimes the ships that are controlled by AI (those following your lead ship) get stuck on maneuvering like idiots so their gun crews can't shoot. I fix that by clicking on the rudder bar and making sure it says "Forward". The ship will now go straight and the guns have time to aim and shoot. They'll keep going straight ahead forever, though, so need to check that they don't end up miles from the battle.

Edit: What I think happens is that their AI keeps overcompensating in order to get into their assigned postions. Imagine if you will their captain going like "Oh, noes! I'm in the wrong place! I must turn the rudder all the way to the right in order to get back into my position! Oh...wait! Now it's wrong the other way! I must turn the rudder all the way to the left!" And so on and so forth...

What I tend to do is check to see if it's a turret alignment issue that will resolve itself once the turrets turn.

If it isn't, I've found if I go to any ship not firing and change its gunnery from the default "normal" to "off", wait a few seconds and then turn it back to "normal" that tends to fix it.

Note that I do not play with formations; I find them worse than useless as they can lead to all sorts of problems, the example from Nereng being one.

Cheers

Ok, I think I figured it out lol all my ships turrets were red when I slowly reviewed them I think the super BBS got lucky and disabled the guns on all 5 of my BBS before he ran out of Ammo?  even though none of them sunk...  i wish I could ram lol

You can add armor to the main guns so they don't get destroyed as easily, go down to the armor and increase the number for the main guns, i say get a bit more of deck armor and top armor on the turret to get some more defense against plunging fire.  The most important thing about fighting the modern battleship mission is spread your capital ships out, disband the formation as soon as you load into the game because when you have ur ships in formation they get hit a lot easier, i usually manually micro them into an abreast formation, while advancing to the Modern battleship, found them to get hit a lot less. 

Edited by uwu

1 hour ago, uwu said:

You can add armor to the main guns so they don't get destroyed as easily, go down to the armor and increase the number for the main guns, i say get a bit more of deck armor and top armor on the turret to get some more defense against plunging fire.  The most important thing about fighting the modern battleship mission is spread your capital ships out, disband the formation as soon as you load into the game because when you have ur ships in formation they get hit a lot easier, i usually manually micro them into an abreast formation, while advancing to the Modern battleship, found them to get hit a lot less. 

I had upped the armor on the turrets to 16" and the tops to 8" i believe and a ton of deck armor I guess I just had bad luck.

Lol if you think that's enough you're sadly mistaken.

here's the specs on the super Yamato's 18" mark V with SHS note the penetration figures.

unknown.png?width=960&height=540

Edit: Note those are inches of iron, not what every armor you happen be using so multiply armor thickness by 1+(multiplier)

Edited by Absolute0CA
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Absolute0CA said:

Lol if you think that's enough you're sadly mistaken.

here's the specs on the super Yamato's 18" mark V with SHS note the penetration figures.

unknown.png?width=960&height=540

Edit: Note those are inches of iron, not what every armor you happen be using so multiply armor thickness by 1+(multiplier)

Jesus lol I was using Krupp 3 or 4 that is impressive penetration I am surprised it didn't sink one of my ships 😮   I never knew you could see that much info on them.  point blank should probably shoot through a battleship lol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joryl said:

Jesus lol I was using Krupp 3 or 4 that is impressive penetration I am surprised it didn't sink one of my ships 😮   I never knew you could see that much info on them.  point blank should probably shoot through a battleship lol.

A scary thing is that’s not enough penetration it should be closer to 60-70” at 1000m for they set up of gun if it was real.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joryl said:

If you mouse over the numbers below the reload counter where it says "locked" and the hit chance it also shows the range. Mouse back to the gun above and you can very quickly get an idea of the sorts of pen that particular gun has against you.

I've found that to be rather handy in terms of managing my chance to hit vs theirs, and my pen vs their armour and theirs vs mine.

I've found it a handy system that gives you many of the bits of info to consider when wondering if the current situation favours you or your enemy, and thus whether to close, maintain or open the range,

Edited by Steeltrap