Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion: randomly generated map with fictional countries

goduranus

A lot of naval game start the player off with historical countries, but you know how to play these countries optimally by reading history, so it's less interesting. What if the campaign's world map is randomly generated? Or at least it could be on good old Earth, but countries' borders are randomized, and you'd have to work with the resources and constraints of that randomly generated country.

Could spice things up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DFIL3 said:

It would be very nice indeed, especially if players could do some geografic discoveries

and if the map got updated after each discovery.

discoveries? this isnt the Age of Sail you know...

8 hours ago, goduranus said:

A lot of naval game start the player off with historical countries, but you know how to play these countries optimally by reading history, so it's less interesting. What if the campaign's world map is randomly generated? Or at least it could be on good old Earth, but countries' borders are randomized, and you'd have to work with the resources and constraints of that randomly generated country.

Could spice things up.

I guess we'll have to see how much work the devs put into the campaign map - if there's things like prevailing winds/currents/weather/temperatures involved (for example the Atlantic usually being a much rougher sea than the Pacific, exceptions obviously apply), randomly generating an entire new map might be too much to ask... Random countries could work though, maybe they can just ask Paradox for the algorithm they use in EU4 and the like 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

discoveries? this isnt the Age of Sail you know...

I guess we'll have to see how much work the devs put into the campaign map - if there's things like prevailing winds/currents/weather/temperatures involved (for example the Atlantic usually being a much rougher sea than the Pacific, exceptions obviously apply), randomly generating an entire new map might be too much to ask... Random countries could work though, maybe they can just ask Paradox for the algorithm they use in EU4 and the like 😀

Dunno, wind, weather and time of day are taken into accout already since the first alpha. So this would probably be a very likely thing in the future since they already have the basics of a weather system in place. They can expand that into a day/night cycle (the screenshots doe) and other bonuses or negatives they can add by adding in new types of weather and even factoring temps like you said.

Would defo be on board with randomly generated couuntries/nations. I would suggest that be for the Non-historical campaign side for those who want a completely historical version of the campaign (or as close as possible regarding ships).

Random map gen is easy unless this will be 3d top down with actual models and real time effects then this will be considerably more work to do and generate for both dev and pc.

Soo much potential doe, i wish the devs all the best inregards.

Guessing at the moment it currently is, real world map with historical or non-historical resource values.
Randomized map would be cool, but I think it could also be neat if the devs decide to sculpt their own world and lore as a non-historical campaign scenario, something like what Namco done with Ace Combat.
8FN0r9c.jpg

• Like 1

Honestly would be cool to not only have randomized nations but also a map editor so we may create our own adventures, and maybe an option for all AI players because there's always tht time you just want to watch what insanity they get up to.

I'd say some modding support for player countries, and maybe world map modding will be a good place to start. Especially if naval battle aren't going to correspond to exact locations on the world map. 

To have both full random world generation, and enough option/constraint to make that world appear reasonable might be a bit too much work for the team's end(then again, I am no programmer), but if its something doable I do like to see it, but not high on my priority list compared to the game being mod-friendly