Game-Labs Forum
rediii

What to do in a low population nation

1 hour ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

I like and support your attitude! Same thing here at Kingston. Always the same - mostly dutch, monxs - people raiding everything, every day. occasionally they let one newbie leave and talk of an ethos they have to maintain. having an ethos in super-upgraded wasas, connies and endies is an easy - and worthless! - thing, right? and utmost bullshit! they want easy kills, fullstop. why? they never appear in a non-meta ship. always and only top of the notch ships. I am happy to read what admin wrote: sailing to an enemy capital will be suicide! so be it at last!

- what you see is not... what is.

-not everybody sailing meta ships i only sail 6 rates just to be on the nish side of things. so it is not everybody who sail the meta , but you are right in this  post you see all clan leaders who come up with the same conclusion : you can do as much as you can to support your new members (or old) and keep them going to keep them in the game but in the short run they are gone to other clans other nations or they say goodbye sail away and never see them again. 

- what this game needs is fun and a goal.

at this moment in some nation only 15-20 % of the total players playing the game active.  in some others it is up to 40% (daily returners)

- what this game also needs (i made a post of it years ago) is a EVE based  High sec allianced system (where clans make a alliance, even when they are from another nation )

the counter is you can not attack own nation ships even when they are at war with your alliance because another nation declared war at you.

only alliances /clan who are at war can attack a port or a ship. (when a not in war ship attacks >>> 25 victories are within shooting range ((spawn and attack till sunk ))

- ( domination on trade routes are important (cartagena goal for example >> tar. but other product should be having the same goal)

- and making war cost a fortune. in this game it cost nothing to sink a nation ship and that is: >>>>>> a fake principle...<<<<<(here the trouble starts)

the good and the bad (trade or war)

fundamental mistakes are made in this game to overcome a healty player base for keeping them in the game (ask yourself why do people want to be pirate in the first place ? . )

wind zones instead >  of local time zones with local areas. (like space gate > jump gates[EVE])

- on the answer what to do with the current population:

...well there is nothing you can do, than to hope some features come in the game what's keeping most players busy in the fun way.(trade is one of them)

what i see is a lot are still watching the game  and hope better time arrives (still hopes) .but other studios are on the horizon so time becomes shorter and shorter for this game. 

- you see there is a difference  between a world record for making a world record shoelaces,
or a world record football.

both are world records , but the the difference is in the number of visitors ....

a other subject is how far can development go with the engine .... i have no clue on that subject. i have seen in warthunder huge updates on the graphical environment at some point ,but how far can this engine go on that subject (trees, lighthouses,other stuff)

this game is just not finished and it probably never will. you can always add stuff to it ,so a clear  answer is just not there.

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

I like and support your attitude! Same thing here at Kingston. Always the same - mostly dutch, monxs - people raiding everything, every day. occasionally they let one newbie leave and talk of an ethos they have to maintain. having an ethos in super-upgraded wasas, connies and endies is an easy - and worthless! - thing, right? and utmost bullshit! they want easy kills, fullstop. why? they never appear in a non-meta ship. always and only top of the notch ships. I am happy to read what admin wrote: sailing to an enemy capital will be suicide! so be it at last!

I advocate for the aggressive ai near capitals, it makes sense and even in other games you have "Police" forces upholding law and order, and makes it safe for players up to a certain point where the Police dont have control, where there is a danger of getting attacked. Wondering though @admin will the aggressive ai be able to join a battle IF a player is getting tagged in a capital zone?

Edited by erelkivtuadrater
  • Like 1

Some adjustments that could improve fun for both large nations and small ones: 1. dynamic PB BR, updated weekly, influenced by the taxes generated and the number of ppl's docks;  more tax and more players = higher BR.  Big and small nations / clans all happy.  2. Different border management: secondary ports must be conquered, then the capitals.  More content for everyone, small and large.  3. Different management of open ports: leave a minor port open in each county, so that more pvp is generated and faster.  These ports will become very important because they will become the new Free Towns, here there will be great battles because these ports will generate taxes and have many ppl docks.  To stimulate PBs in these ports, it is necessary to guarantee an extra income in reals, justifying it by saying that leaving a port open requires greater risks and therefore a greater return must be guaranteed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rediii said:

A lot of ppl already said that the BR's of the previous patch were better. Also that the frontline mechanic we have atm is just flawed because you attack the most important port first and then the not important ones.

My proposal without doing any math:

Try 14k BR Portbattles instead of 20k and 18k instead of 25k

Back then this system was flawed as well otherwise it wouldn't have changed.

Admin asked for the clear and structured proposal in a new thread and not one by rule of thumb.

[not quote related]

But whenever the question is asked "but how it should change" no real answers are given. The only thing NA player do is negative bomb the reviews.

Edited by z4ys

16 hours ago, admin said:

Example
Some users continue saying that we do not listen. Forgetting that almost all features (including open world itself - was done based on player suggestions). Last feature done purely on player requests was increase of the clan allied list (doubling it) which took a while to rework given it needed to be working in port battles well. 

anyways
we are willing to try lower BR for port battles (player ones not NPC ones)

Start a new post
Propose a clearly defined system of what this new BR system must look like. Gather feedback from others and incorporate in your main post.
Once its done we will review - update BR and see the results

If this will not bring a direct benefit to A) online numbers b ) reviews within a month or two
we will revert all ports to unlimited BR like it was old time ago and will remove all limitations from RVR

and believe me : @admin

the community as a whole is very thankful of that . 

we all can not thank you enough ...seriously...

another aspect of battle rating where i do not here the community about is ship battle rating , most are talking of dynamic port battle rating (size).

also to take in consideration the ship br (oceania i believe 800 or so ) THAT CAN BE STRETCHED OUT AS WELL ....1450 BR  FOR A OCEAN FOR EXAMPLE.. (IT GIVES YOU MORE ROOM FOR OTHER IMPLEMENTATIONS AND ADJUSTMENTS.

Edited by Thonys

19 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Admin asked for the clear and structured proposal in a new thread and not one by rule of thumb.

[not quote related]

But whenever the question is asked "but how it should change" no real answers are given. The only thing NA player do is negative bomb the reviews.

I Think we all have learned that we should not pay to much attention to those who snap. 

i still believe the game will be glorious some day...

besides for most there is a ...invisible urge to be here.
I can't explain it either.

16 hours ago, admin said:

we said above 

Smaller nation RVR community should provide a clear and defined proposal on the BR changes. And define the metrics for success for this change (not i will like it more) but game metrics. Reviews, online numbers, national port battles success rates (we track pb results) - what will happen as a result of this proposal.

We will implement. 

Not just - devs - please lower BR.

It’s not up to the players to do your job...

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Thonys said:

another aspect of battle rating where i do not here the community about is ship battle rating , most are talking of dynamic port battle rating (size).

also to take in consideration the ship br (oceania i believe 800 or so ) THAT CAN BE STRETCHED OUT AS WELL ....1450 BR  FOR A OCEAN FOR EXAMPLE.. (IT GIVES YOU MORE ROOM FOR OTHER IMPLEMENTATIONS AND ADJUSTMENTS.

Ocean is 900BR, but i agree with you, dynamic BR for ships depending on quality of upgrades, and even armament of the ship would be cool

18 hours ago, admin said:

Sorry guys
But 90% of players leave without leveling up to a frigate.
We are not going to prioritize RVR until that leak is reduced. 

That is why next stage is immersive Privateer protection of capitals (included limited protection of shroud cay) and updated new player experience. RVR alliances etc are lesser priority. Players who have interest in long term health of the game will understand us, players who don't want to understand it and only think me me me - will be temporarily ignored. 

90% of players leave without leveling up to a frigate

This is a highly meaningful stats.

Who are those 90% of new players, what is their most probable situation ?

- Very likely, they are on their own (not used to share communication with other players) and they are probably "casuals" without any possibilities to spend more than a couple of hours per day in NA (at the best).

- The remaining 10% are the one eager to sink players in PvP no matter how much it cost and how time consuming it is.

Why do they lose faith in war server ?

- Their progress are much too slow, they realize how far away they remain before enjoying all these epical battles they saw through vids & streamings.

- The time they spend to progress does not bring them any significant rewards, so little gaming attraction with no concrete results.

- New players are poor, experienced players are rich, the gap in between is huge. Let's make newcomers richer faster !

How could they keep faith in war server ?

- Make them focused on fighting ANY npc's because it  "randomly" drops much higher value loots/rewards (tradable books, upgrades, rare materials, etc...)

- NPC traders and war ships should be worth being attacked, this activity should not be useless, it's nice to sink an AI but it's laborious so it should be for wealth + training. 

- Foreign NPC's should cruse in any waters much more frequently. (not desertic waters in your home territory)

- Make repairs infrastructures as well as guns manufacturing much cheaper to install, those are the oil of fighting. 

- Give 2 durabilities of ships up to 5th rates, like in the past, this would release newcomers from discouraging sailing mistakes, and make them more agressive. (learn faster combat solutions).

- Add some coding that would allow players to see the commander rank of any enemy players they come across in OW. That would help in both sense, for newcomers and for hardcore players who may ignore a rooky player for the sake of community health.

RvR is a result of community behavior in war server, ok.

Then if you want to reduce player leak, strong commitment must be considered in next patches.

If we manage to keep 50% of new players on long run, then, with greater population, the RvR could be looking different, certainly more lively. 

Lots of things still need to be fixed or optimized in NA, let's give PRIORITY to increase newcomers retention.

I'm 100% for it.

Edited by Celtiberofrog
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, rediii said:

Anyway you answered the question. Let me rephrase your answer:

You are in a low populated nation? Leave it

... and buy the prolific forger DLC...!?

Edited by Navalus Magnus

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

[not quote related]

Does admin pay me? No. So I write something and take the time for something when I want it and currently I don't want nor have the time to put hours into thinking about a working RvR mechanic.

Edited by rediii

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

How should what change?

Frontline mechanic? BR of PBs? BR of ships? RvR in general?

Normally players are good to understand that a mechanic is good but I wouldn't trust my users to develop a well working new mechanic tbh.

3 hours ago, Mad Dan Morgan said:

@HachiRoku  It's a shame people haven't taken the time to listen, think and understand your message more.  While on TS you might sound like a inmate I wouldn't let within 100 feet of my daughter but here over the years in my opinion you have been consistently correct in your views and suggestions. 

Salute.

Next time you give someone a compliment do not insult them at the same time. Just makes you look like a cunt. You are basically calling me a rapist you bastard. That is honestly the most offensive thing someone has ever said to me.

Edit: I have far better words for you but I would like to avoid a ban.  

Edited by HachiRoku

2 hours ago, z4ys said:

What do you mean by this ? I've seen countless constructive answers. Players can't have the details on how to balance BR for example, because the devs are the only ones to have a chart of why they'd give a certain BR to a certain ship ; but that's also the dev's job.

On the other hand, constructive ideas get ignored, and pointing out the errors in admin's ways gets you banned, so... How can one hope to participate constructively ?

admin previously mentioned forced alliance. I think it is a very good idea.

Just forcefully ally smaller nations together, expand the clan friend list to 30. Therefore consolidating the map into several large factions. If a faction gets too powerful, just break it up and reform different alliances periodically (e.g. every 2 month). This way you do not need to wipe the map. As long they can not attack each other, they will learn to work together.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Emain Macha said:

admin previously mentioned forced alliance. I think it is a very good idea.

Just forcefully ally smaller nations together, expand the clan friend list to 30. Therefore consolidating the map into several large factions. If a faction gets too powerful, just break it up and reform different alliances periodically (e.g. every 2 month). This way you do not need to wipe the map. As long they can not attack each other, they will learn to work together.

the clan friend list is already 30 .! btw

I have been thinking about how to best force alliance for the current situation

for example:

Dutch + poland

English + prussia

Spanish + france

Swedish + US

Denmark + pirate

Russia + china (new impossible nation)

It certainly is very difficult, for example in this case spanish + france although historically accurate, is too weak currently. denmark + pirate will be too strong.

22 hours ago, admin said:

So far only 1 NPC raid was defended successfully, and we know some clans figured out tacticts to win the raids. The rest will lose the ports

It's because it's less effort to just reflip the port the next day than bother defending it.

22 hours ago, admin said:

Once limitations on NPC port battles are removed nations will start losing ports to NPCs that you can help them to lose faster or recapture. 
So far only 1 NPC raid was defended successfully, and we know some clans figured out tacticts to win the raids. The rest will lose the ports

The rest didn't bother, as the 'training' raids were pretty much pointless.

And even if a nation would loose a port, f.e. Russians loosing Orleans, how do You expect other nations to recapture it, with the frontline mechanics?

20 hours ago, admin said:

Sorry guys
But 90% of players leave without leveling up to a frigate.

That is why next stage is immersive Privateer protection of capitals (included limited protection of shroud cay) and updated new player experience. RVR alliances etc are lesser priority. Players who have interest in long term health of the game will understand us, players who don't want to understand it and only think me me me - will be temporarily ignored. 

Bit too late for that now.

You released the game, despite all the problems we (players) were announcing. You never listened, You rushed the game launch, they probably never gonna come back again.
So for whom You plan those changes? Where do You plan to get the new players from? If even returning players didn't stand too long after realising there are still huge content issues?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, admin said:

Not just - devs - please lower BR.

Excuse me?

Point 3 of yet another topic:

• Like 1

There is just huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge sinkhole in the content right now.
You can either go huge PB with 25 bricks or You can go hello kitty Yourself.

There is absolutely nothing to keep the 'daily' content alive. It's either "all in" for whole-nation-involved Port Battle or ganking single players, as there is no content for smaller groups on a daily basis.

Even the "Port Raids" turned out to be boring PvE crap, where the only content is beeing possibly ganked outside after You finish. Well done. Great idea!

The main provider of the content is Russian Zergling Army, which don't care to loose 11 times at Cartagena, to spam it with 1st rates very next day. Yey...

Also @admin You say that 90% of players never get into frigates.
How about 90% of the ships that are NEVER beeing used, due to BR systems and Port Battle mechanics?

If there is really "no difference" with high or low BR, and there is really no problem with any balancing of the nations whatsoever, why did WO left the game? Why did HAVOC left the game? Aren't those 2 hardcore RvR clans? Something clearly doesn't work here.

I'd love to make some long, constructive topic about the effects of some decisions and mechanics in the game, but hey...

Why should I bother, if none of the previous attempts were listened to.

PS: BTW, British fleet at Trafalgar would be worth around 16.000 BR points for 33 players, so about 12.000 for 25.
Every deep water beeing biggest fight in Naval History? Capital PBs beeing twice as big? No wonder new players have find time finding some content for them.

Edited by OjK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Celtiberofrog said:

90% of players leave without leveling up to a frigate

This is a highly meaningful stats.

Who are those 90% of new players, what is their most probable situation ?

- New players are poor, experienced players are rich, the gap in between is huge. Let's make newcomers richer faster !

your intentions are good, but i thing your pointing towards the wrong reasons, i believe the reason why 90% of the playerbase quits before they hit 200 crew is because its alot of rinse and repeat, and the game feels like a huge grind. I believe what the game is missing to keep the retention rate up, is to make stuff rewarding, when everything is connected to 3 things, doubloons, reals and experience and everything rewards the same it turns automatically into some kind of grind.

Why is there no reason for me to sail a 7th rate to gain a special perk in a frigate with alot of jibs as example or why should i even bother doing en epic event where the rewards should be great when i know i can just do a very simple thing and accomplish the same thing. 

Even if it doesent have to be rewards, there should be achievements for what we do so we have something to show for example flag for best pvp kd in nation or something that makes doing stuff more worth.

I mean give that new player an unique sailing book that can ONLY be gained from sinking 3 enemys in a pickle, or give him some kind of trade book if he does a mission for the governor in shroud cay to transport tobacco to habana, and make it impossible to not lose the reward (knowledge book). By doing this stuff will actually feel rewarding and people would explore if ports had these options instead of giving the reward in the same 3 different things

Edited by erelkivtuadrater

1 hour ago, Emain Macha said:

I have been thinking about how to best force alliance for the current situation

for example:

Dutch + poland

English + prussia

Spanish + france

Swedish + US

Denmark + pirate

Russia + china (new impossible nation)

It certainly is very difficult, for example in this case spanish + france although historically accurate, is too weak currently. denmark + pirate will be too strong.

What admin proposed was close to historic factions.

US, Spain, French

Dutch, Dane, Swedes

Prussia, poland

GB 

Russia (might been part of Poland/Prussia)

Pirates

In my view pirates should never be part of an alliance.  Same maybe for the impossible nations. Devs could always Change factions as needed if one gets to powerful or weak.