Game-Labs Forum

Historical(-ish) IJN Yamato Class

Hi, forum!
It's a pleasure to join the comunity of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts, to share (after a lot of trial and error) my take on the ship for the mission "modern Battleship".

Basically everyone tries immediately to build a Yamato class: there are A LOT of design even "bigger" possible (up to 5 triple 18 inches turrets) but I think to have got one of the most similar to the real Yamato-class, perfectly balanced even in the weight distribution.

All the armor value are based on the actual ship, secondaries aside (I just used all the remaining money after I had set all the other value) for a round $145.000k and 71.802 tons (just 200 tons more than the value stimated on Wikipedia, about the class)

Yamato-class.png

Yamato-class2.png

• Like 1

Just now, ThatZenoGuy said:

That turret being so far back. Eughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

That's a way the devs need to work on the designer, it just looks ugly as hell like that.

And where's the superfiring secondaries!? Barbette heights should be adjustable to allow for superfiring over superfiring.

They're not ingame yet. But yeah, internal machinery should be shifted within certain margins to retain the correct center of gravity.

With the actual game limitation, I was trying to have  "the statistical data" of a Yamato class, in terms of armor, weight and projected firepower.

I would like to have more 2 more superfiring barbettes, for the 6'' turrets (but also the same turrets on the superstructure wings)...
... but as presence, as when the Yamato was made, there are the 4x triple guns 6'' (as in the 1939/1940 Yamato-class launch), to have at least 2 of them in the position to fire broadside (as it was possible by the 2 superfiring turrets, both in the aft and fore), and also, to have the weight on the ship (2x armored barbettes + 2x turrets, in the original, menawhile here there are 4 turrets, but capable to shot 2 at time only to one side)

Other secondaries are dual cannons 4'', as present in the original design (12 mounts, 6x each side) plus some 2'' to resemble a bit of the minor anti-air mounts.

Then, again, the rear turret is far back just because of the actual game engine limitation on weight balance (YES! I'd like too to have a balanced ship without always those tricks to move too far forward or backward main guns! Center of gravity in the game is a bit weird😞 )
my actual surprise was that, well before placing weapons and superstructure, I placed all the components and armor values in the building menu (no diesel engines, but turbines... ovearmored main turrets... thick citadel deck and belt... basically no armor on the remaining belt), then started to add the actual weapons and, basically, the Yamato-class alike statistics fit exactly and perfectly.

Is not too much about of MY DESIGN, but about (and very likely) a praise to the game developers, that factored (for sure) the real data (within the actual game limits, hopefully soon corrected/addressed) in the mission design itself.

Waiting, in the future, some kind to ability to switch/change/move some kind of internal machinery (to fine tune weight balances) and the possibility to have superfiring secondaries, to get also the look of the Yamato-class...
... knowing that IT IS HERE!

Now waiting some added hulls, to build eventually some modern ships based on the USA naval history (I'd like to have a hull/superstructure more resembling the Iowa/Montana-class), or the Kriegsmarine, or the Royal Navy (Nelson's hull triple forward facing turrets), or the French one...

Edited by CapitanoAraym