Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Cumulative hotfixes for Seasonal Update: Treacherous waters

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, van Veen said:

Be careful what you wish for. You might not want realistic weather in this game. 

Predominant wind direction is from E-NE over the whole year across vast areas of the caribbean. In the Gulf it's E-SE and along the U.S. coast there is more variance in wind direction. But the bottom line is this: you cannot sail from Panama to Willemstad on direct course. 

106_april_p3.thumb.png.0c13fb385f0aa10f9caaa4c93ff1f5f5.png

106_november_p3.thumb.png.30cd09ac332ce7ec75b9ff8dbdf61baf.png

Yep. That's the disadvantage. Just depends on how realistic you want the game to be - that might be pushing it too far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game would not be playable with realistic winds.  I think what we have now gives us the maximum playability without getting into the nightmare of trying to beat east into a trade wind.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

The game would not be playable with realistic winds.  I think what we have now gives us the maximum playability without getting into the nightmare of trying to beat east into a trade wind.

Well they could just have had some highways. After you leave them you would not have a 6-10 min speedboost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bryan Von Gyldenloeve said:

Well they could just have had some highways. After you leave them you would not have a 6-10 min speedboost.

I would certainly prefer highways over the speed boosts.  I find the speed boosts very unfair and I have definitely used them to great advantage.  (I feel that twinge of guilt as I kill the ship I should never have caught...)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't... If that player I shouldn't have caught in the OW isn't AFK they'll be able to elude me with a well timed defensive tag and evasion in the battle instance.  If they are AFK, then they should be punished for it.

Wind boosts just allow me to get to fights more efficiently in ships that are worthy of fighting in.

I agree. Granted I play in North American time zone when population is low, but even tho I mainly sail and patrol alone, I’ve neither been burned by the speed boost much nor has it proved to be a big weapon I’ve used to attack others. Its big plus is one is able to fight further afield so I can go to areas that otherwise would take too long to get to.

That being said, I do hope @admin and his staff will continue to refine the speed boost feature. I’d much rather see it be speed boost zones where one gets the max boost at the center of that zone with the boost decreasing as you sail away from the center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

06-10-2019

it seems we have a update [after maintenance update] >   but what is it >>can we get some keynote  on this update pls.

 client> 49422 >>> 49458

Edited by Thonys
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@admin since we have the wind boosts, can you remove them from the map? Only visible in OW, yes I know some people will see this as a big hassle, but atleast we wont have a 20th century weather forecast on our maps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Take a useful, quality of life feature and make it less useful and lower quality of life... exactly what we need.  

Why don't you just keep your map closed?

because I play the game for the realism in it. (well it used to be atleast) And that was how they advertised the game and have always said they want it to be as close to realism as it should be at the same time be playable, and you dont need a weather forecast neither did they have a weather forecast in that age period

"Why don't you just keep your map closed?" Why dont you equip lower caliber guns? (since i know you dont like the new damage model that made frigates more vurnerable to higher caliber guns)

 

And besides, being able to see the wind boosts on the map makes the sextant irrelevant

Edited by erelkivtuadrater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

because I play the game for the realism in it. (well it used to be atleast) And that was how they advertised the game and have always said they want it to be as close to realism as it should be at the same time be playable, and you dont need a weather forecast neither did they have a weather forecast in that age period

"Why don't you just keep your map closed?" Why dont you equip lower caliber guns? (since i know you dont like the new damage model that made frigates more vurnerable to higher caliber guns)

 

And besides, being able to see the wind boosts on the map makes the sextant irrelevant

Just why do some people always have to insist on making absolutely everything harder for no reason lol 
It's a nice feature, just leave it alone. The sextant it not irrelevant, it gives your 100% accurate position at all times. The wind boost, only when you reach the wind boost, which change locations and you don't always have one nearby. In any case it's a good cause it makes the sextant more of an option rather than a must have.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Never said:

Just why do some people always have to insist on making absolutely everything harder for no reason lol 
It's a nice feature, just leave it alone. The sextant it not irrelevant, it gives your 100% accurate position at all times. The wind boost, only when you reach the wind boost, which change locations and you don't always have one nearby. In any case it's a good cause it makes the sextant more of an option rather than a must have.

im not insisting on making "Absolutily everything" harder for no reason, im just pointing out by being able to see the wind boosts on the map like some kind of weather forecast, there is literally no reason to use that perk. Now you say "well lets just remove the cities from the map aswell then" because people could draw a line from 1 city to some point on the map" Well that is actually what happened during the navigation. Not looking at the map and see that if we sail for 2 days that direction we should have a wind boost that lasts for x time as I said like some weather forecast. Might aswell throw in where the storms are on the map then to match it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

im not insisting on making "Absolutily everything" harder for no reason, im just pointing out by being able to see the wind boosts on the map like some kind of weather forecast, there is literally no reason to use that perk. Now you say "well lets just remove the cities from the map aswell then" because people could draw a line from 1 city to some point on the map" Well that is actually what happened during the navigation. Not looking at the map and see that if we sail for 2 days that direction we should have a wind boost that lasts for x time as I said like some weather forecast. Might aswell throw in where the storms are on the map then to match it.

It's not a 'weather forecast' because you don't know where the boosts are until you are near them, and they change location. This game isn't a navigation sim anyway. Sacrificing gameplay for some extreme realism makes no sense in an mmo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Never said:

It's not a 'weather forecast' because you don't know where the boosts are until you are near them, and they change location. This game isn't a navigation sim anyway. Sacrificing gameplay for some extreme realism makes no sense in an mmo. 

navigation is a huge part of the age of sail era, not just combat, and that is also a huge reason why so many people left the game, they came here for the ralism in it  but so many unrealistic stuff have been added because it was "QOL" features, and now were gonna probably see it with the PB where you can skip the screening part, what will the screeners do then? they will quit the game. And when you can see on the map where a boost is before you can see it on the OW its become a weather forecast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

navigation is a huge part of the age of sail era, not just combat, and that is also a huge reason why so many people left the game, they came here for the ralism in it  but so many unrealistic stuff have been added because it was "QOL" features, and now were gonna probably see it with the PB where you can skip the screening part, what will the screeners do then? they will quit the game. And when you can see on the map where a boost is before you can see it on the OW its become a weather forecast.

Your right. But the arcade gamey crowd has the argument won I am afraid.

The devs need to sell the game so making it unrealistic is the way to go for them. 

This game WAS hard-core it WAS realistic and it WAS immersive. 

Now.....its.....well......not.

Edited by Jack Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

@admin since we have the wind boosts, can you remove them from the map? Only visible in OW, yes I know some people will see this as a big hassle, but atleast we wont have a 20th century weather forecast on our maps.

I would hope you are not using the boosts since going 40 knots is totally unrealistic 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don’t like it, don’t use it. Quit trying to take from others that which you don’t like. Some casual players like it and it costs them a perk to have it, which could otherwise be used for a more “useful” perk, which more hardcore players may prefer. Choices are good for the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jnovotny6 said:

I would hope you are not using the boosts since going 40 knots is totally unrealistic 

ofc im using them, because their in the game, but it doesent mean that i would prefer to have them changed.

From your logic i shouldnt use 42pd longs on the main gundeck of santissima and french lineships aswell as only carronades for only the british ships and obusiers for the french/spanish ships. This is the same logic you're making as when people suggest to limit the repairs, do you think those players use just 2 repairs because thats what they want, and they would rather sink then using the 3rd one?

Matter the fact about the sextant, atleast it was realistically accurate in a few 100 yards, while at 1m above sea level you can 4km to the horizon. And besides, i would like the sextant to be changed aswell, not having a constant gps, but update once every ingame hour and show the location on the map, that would tell a story about the journey, inaccuracy in storms etc. It wouldnt help that much if the sextant perk were used to increase the accuracy since you can see 8km diagonal to the horizon anyway.

Edited by erelkivtuadrater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

ofc im using them, because their in the game, but it doesent mean that i would prefer to have them changed.

From your logic i shouldnt use 42pd longs on the main gundeck of santissima and french lineships aswell as only carronades for only the british ships and obusiers for the french/spanish ships. This is the same logic you're making as when people suggest to limit the repairs, do you think those players use just 2 repairs because thats what they want, and they would rather sink then using the 3rd one?

Matter the fact about the sextant, atleast it was realistically accurate in a few 100 yards, while at 1m above sea level you can 4km to the horizon. And besides, i would like the sextant to be changed aswell, not having a constant gps, but update once every ingame hour and show the location on the map, that would tell a story about the journey, inaccuracy in storms etc. It wouldnt help that much if the sextant perk were used to increase the accuracy since you can see 8km diagonal to the horizon anyway.

You are picking and choosing which features of the game to be offended by. Realism in the game is a balancing act, closer you get to realism more unplayable the game would become. I just roll with the changes, some I like some I dont, the game certainly  has more serious issues than clouds and sextant icon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

ofc im using them, because their in the game, but it doesent mean that i would prefer to have them changed.

From your logic i shouldnt use 42pd longs on the main gundeck of santissima and french lineships aswell as only carronades for only the british ships and obusiers for the french/spanish ships. This is the same logic you're making as when people suggest to limit the repairs, do you think those players use just 2 repairs because thats what they want, and they would rather sink then using the 3rd one?

Matter the fact about the sextant, atleast it was realistically accurate in a few 100 yards, while at 1m above sea level you can 4km to the horizon. And besides, i would like the sextant to be changed aswell, not having a constant gps, but update once every ingame hour and show the location on the map, that would tell a story about the journey, inaccuracy in storms etc. It wouldnt help that much if the sextant perk were used to increase the accuracy since you can see 8km diagonal to the horizon anyway.

You are picking and choosing which features of the game to be offended by. Realism in the game is a balancing act, closer you get to realism more unplayable the game would become. I just roll with the changes, some I like some I dont, the game certainly  has more serious issues than clouds and sextant icon.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jnovotny6 said:

You are picking and choosing which features of the game to be offended by. Realism in the game is a balancing act, closer you get to realism more unplayable the game would become. I just roll with the changes, some I like some I dont, the game certainly  has more serious issues than clouds and sextant icon.

 

the ideas behind them are great, but its the execution of them that doesn't seem logical what so ever. And besides if it said Arcade game on their steam page i probably wouldn't have bought it.

I tested the forecast theory. The red line is the approximate range of view distance of ships, and that you can see on the map twice as far away of where the wind is stronger makes no sense in a game that tries to be as close to realism as possible yet playable.

image.png.ccd300a45a710b0a2a3860a169f5766b.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

the ideas behind them are great, but its the execution of them that doesn't seem logical what so ever. And besides if it said Arcade game on their steam page i probably wouldn't have bought it.

I tested the forecast theory. The red line is the approximate range of view distance of ships, and that you can see on the map twice as far away of where the wind is stronger makes no sense in a game that tries to be as close to realism as possible yet playable.

image.png.ccd300a45a710b0a2a3860a169f5766b.png

The viewdistance we have atm is what it is not because it is realistic but because A bigger range basicly means getting no PvP because you see people VERY early

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Since you're basing the gripe here on "realism" and some arbitrary draw distance (that was chosen for its technical limitations, not its spatial scale relevance to visibility at sea I might add)... You might consider some basic geometry as it relates to seeing coastlines on the horizon vs. weather phenomena at altitude, at a distance that may relate to finding your "wind:"

the-changing-size-of-the-visible-horizon

sorry then, but I didnt knew you had the ability to predict the wind force miles away with your own eyes, strange how captains sailed into areas with no wind.. shame on them right? should've checked their map and not sail through a windless zone I guess.. I understand that they have to increase the wind relative to realism because probably even less people would have played a single instanced game, but atleast they countered that "somewhat" with the RoE, besides about the realism arent my words, its literally the description of the game, and having a weather forecast on the map should be no part of it, we're literally running parallel universes with the current boost because 2 players at the exact locations will have 2 completely different wind values

I could vote for if we could make notes on the map, see some kind of resemblance of the storms before we are in the middle on them and mark them on the map etc

image.png

Edited by erelkivtuadrater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, erelkivtuadrater said:

sorry then, but I didnt knew you had the ability to predict the wind force miles away with your own eyes, ....

image.png

Maybe not miles. But its a game its exaggerates for our convince. Picture below shows gusts on the ocean surface.

104721092_c06302fa4a.jpg.a8eb3542d78b889604167d45d63a721b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Maybe not miles. But its a game its exaggerates for our convince. Picture below shows gusts on the ocean surface.

104721092_c06302fa4a.jpg.a8eb3542d78b889604167d45d63a721b.jpg

and that would be totally cool if that sort of wind breeze was visible and you would gain the boost in some sort of way by sailing in that area where the wind force is higher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...