Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion for the Wind.Buff

How about if the wind buff counted locally. not like now, that one would have to get him first. Imagine that to me. when the wind buff is in the windward channel, all of them have buff who are there and only while they are in the zone.  Sry for my english, but google translator

10 hours ago, Macjimm said:

The current system allows wind boosts to be optional.  A player can choose to sail without the increased speed.  Creating areas with increased speed will limit choice.

It is simpler to avoid the wind boosts using icons.   

As it is now, you would have to leave the direct path to get your buff. and if you´re unlucky, the way takes even longer,.depending on wind direction and distance, you need to get the buff.

Another problem is that there are now groups that camp with several ships only at the buff point and wait for someone who leaves the port without windboost. Often they have for this purpose also sent a scout ship in advance.

Edited by Azazzel

19 hours ago, Saryk said:

In which scenario would a player chose not to sail with the boost ? 🤔

When sailing a slow trader it can take longer to reach a destination using boosts, because the increase in speed doesn't reduce total travel time.  Varying course to use a  boost area may sometime mean sailing against  the wind and a longer distance travelled.

While sailing to a port to sell Provisions it can be helpful to sail slowly to increase the catch.  Although to be fair this can often be done by reducing sail.

When navigating with dead reckoning it is much easier calculating the distance travelled without the boost. When sailing a slow trade ship (like a basic Traders Snow) the boosts don't make much difference, but they make it much more difficult to evaluate speed and distance to plot the ship's position at sea, away from land.

I don't mind the speeds we have without the boost.  It's very nice to have a choice and not have boosts forced on me.

ok, if you are just out fishing I can understand that you do not need a windboost, but especially for newbies it can be frustrating to be tagged by a group windboost ganker. No copper planting or the naval clock will help you, because they only increase the speed by 3% when a group arrives at 50-70% more speed.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Is there any update to this because it seems that groups of players are indeed camping in the wind gusts with the intention of using that bonus speed to hunt down ships they would never normally be able to catch,, I cant see how this makes sense in any way and after watching my son play for a while I and beginning to think that there is no point coming back to this game,, to me this seems like an exploit , one that  is totally unrealistic,, I actually have sea time in real life aboard a square rigged sailing ship and I cant see how this is fair or realistic, its definatly not possible in real life to do ,, perhaps the crazy rotating wind mechanic needs a complete overhaul to make it realistic so this weird gust thing is not necessary,, or at least make gusts blow around the map so they cant be exploited,, at the very least they should only have one direction of boost, make that slowly rotate as well ?? 

• Like 1