Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Low Caliber guns useless and TBs to tough


Recommended Posts

By now anyone that used 8" and below will find that these guns are in particularly worthless. They don't aim as well as capital ship guns and the reload doesn't make up for it (especially the sec RoF nerf this patch). The damage they do is negligible as well as i've seen TBs charge through a hail of fire to no effect I've also been seeing TBs taking 2 or 3 salvos of 12" guns and refuse to sink.

through out the game its only showing me that investing in secondaries are a waste of space. Sure they can cripple a TB and a destroyer but they cant sink them and if they are still on the battlefield they are still a torpedo hazard.

As main guns they hit too weak and just aren't worth the weight for 9" and above gun calibers.

So please devs take a look on this issue by having TBs having no bulkheads by default and below capital ship grade guns a satisfactory accuracy and damage.

Edited by Tankaxe
Clarify and grammar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are playing in a destroyer class ship the best ammunition you can use is High Explosive and aim at the super structure.  152 mm guns can do a quite a bit of damage.  With torpedoes you more or less kind of have to lead the shots.  12 inch guns try aiming at the water line of the ship for a citadel hit which will do a ton of damage if you hit the right spot.  Lead the target.  The other games that I do play with those types of ships I can cripple cruisers and or delete them from the game in a single salvo.  I suggest work on your aiming a bit more and you should be able to work that out.  The other thing is 12 inch guns are best at around a range of 14 KM away too far out trying to snipe your dispersion goes to literally garbage in a trash pile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OldSaltyOne said:

If you are playing in a destroyer class ship the best ammunition you can use is High Explosive and aim at the super structure.  152 mm guns can do a quite a bit of damage.  With torpedoes you more or less kind of have to lead the shots.  12 inch guns try aiming at the water line of the ship for a citadel hit which will do a ton of damage if you hit the right spot.  Lead the target.  The other games that I do play with those types of ships I can cripple cruisers and or delete them from the game in a single salvo.  I suggest work on your aiming a bit more and you should be able to work that out.  The other thing is 12 inch guns are best at around a range of 14 KM away too far out trying to snipe your dispersion goes to literally garbage in a trash pile.

This isn't wows they don't got shit quite right for that, and we can't manually aim at all its all RNG. So actually play the game before you comment on something.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldSaltyOne said:

If you are playing in a destroyer class ship the best ammunition you can use is High Explosive and aim at the super structure.  152 mm guns can do a quite a bit of damage.  With torpedoes you more or less kind of have to lead the shots.  12 inch guns try aiming at the water line of the ship for a citadel hit which will do a ton of damage if you hit the right spot.  Lead the target.  The other games that I do play with those types of ships I can cripple cruisers and or delete them from the game in a single salvo.  I suggest work on your aiming a bit more and you should be able to work that out.  The other thing is 12 inch guns are best at around a range of 14 KM away too far out trying to snipe your dispersion goes to literally garbage in a trash pile.

You are replying to the wrong game. 

You cannot manually control your armament in this game. 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OldSaltyOne said:

If you are playing in a destroyer class ship the best ammunition you can use is High Explosive and aim at the super structure.  152 mm guns can do a quite a bit of damage.  With torpedoes you more or less kind of have to lead the shots.  12 inch guns try aiming at the water line of the ship for a citadel hit which will do a ton of damage if you hit the right spot.  Lead the target.  The other games that I do play with those types of ships I can cripple cruisers and or delete them from the game in a single salvo.  I suggest work on your aiming a bit more and you should be able to work that out.  The other thing is 12 inch guns are best at around a range of 14 KM away too far out trying to snipe your dispersion goes to literally garbage in a trash pile.

Yeah, thanks mate...

 

Back to the topic shall we?

Poor performance of small caliber guns is coming back like a broken record. Hopefully it's going to get addressed soon and we'll have a reason to actually fit our Dreadnoughts with all those casemate and secondary guns. Right now they're just waste of displacement. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Asthaven said:

Yeah, thanks mate...

 

Back to the topic shall we?

Poor performance of small caliber guns is coming back like a broken record. Hopefully it's going to get addressed soon and we'll have a reason to actually fit our Dreadnoughts with all those casemate and secondary guns. Right now they're just waste of displacement. 

Ye, also i like the smoll gunz, makes the game more exiciting lol especially when they actually do stuff, instead of acting like popcorn machines.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Asthaven said:

Same as often as you see 9 - 18" gun doing the same at range of 5- 15km?

no but that would be wierd wouldn't it?

I mean if the 2 inches, per definition the weakest gun in the game, would be performing as well as 9 or 18 inch guns what would be the point of the latter?

Both of them also  main gun types, more expensive and far more weight. 

 

Personal I was under the impression that 3-8 inch guns do a good job at smaller targets and harassment damage against big.  

Edited by SiWi
Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with OP.  can score hit after hit with 5 inch guns vs a torpedo boat and do nearly no damage to it.  secondary guns in general need a looking at.

 

as a reminder:

5in guns were the primary guns on many destroyers and light cruisers in WW2.  8in gun was what defined a heavy cruiser.  now while these “smaller” caliber weapons should be defeated by the armor of a battleship, they should be able to blow a torpedo boat out of the water when they actually land hits.

Edited by Tammuz
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

destroyers and torpedo boats (and transport ships) can often take more than a single 18" he shell hit (using tnt as powder as well), happens for the most part when i get plunging hits through what would normally be the boiler and turbine rooms without disabling any of them. and then some times even a 3" ap shell will totally devastate a dd at about 6km in a single hit when it hits the command bridge (aka main tower).

bulkhead amount doesnt seem to matter, even a minimum bulkhead dd has survived a plunging 18" he shell through the command bridge with only a flooding under funnel 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DeiLwynnA said:

destroyers and torpedo boats (and transport ships) can often take more than a single 18" he shell hit (using tnt as powder as well), happens for the most part when i get plunging hits through what would normally be the boiler and turbine rooms without disabling any of them. and then some times even a 3" ap shell will totally devastate a dd at about 6km in a single hit when it hits the command bridge (aka main tower).

bulkhead amount doesnt seem to matter, even a minimum bulkhead dd has survived a plunging 18" he shell through the command bridge with only a flooding under funnel 1

I can almost guarantee you are not getting plunging hits on a DD or TB, without some sort of spotting assistance (plane, radar, scout ship) you can't even see a DD or TB at the 18k+ ranges it would to take to be anywhere near plunging fire range, your guns would need to elevate beyond +45 degrees to obtain plunging fire as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lobokai said:

I just did a couple 10’s and 6 double 8’s on 2 BCs and tore through the escorts in the armored convoy scenario (I know I didn’t need to sink everything, but I wanted to). 8’s seem fine.  Don’t see an issue 

I've used 8" secondaries on a BC v Convoy, with a bow 2 x 8 on a barbette behind a main gun and 2 more 2 x 8 turrets on each side, and they can be dangerous to most things.

The real issue seem to be TBs. Most of the time I can't hit them regardless of range, and even doing so doesn't sink them. They seem more combat capable than DDs which strikes me as a bit odd.

I'll go try the crazy battle with the BB and DDs v the enemy attack including 10 TBs and see what happens.

Edited by Steeltrap
Link to post
Share on other sites

TBs give a -%85 small ship penalty to what ever is firing at it. Also with how the bulkhead system works you need to damage every single bulkhead or the TB wont sink. Which is a problem because if your guns are rocking a pitiful %1.2 the damage they do is almost nothing if they hit an already destroyed bulkhead. Secondaries really need a significantly reduced small ship penalty.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tankaxe said:

TBs give a -%85 small ship penalty to what ever is firing at it. Also with how the bulkhead system works you need to damage every single bulkhead or the TB wont sink. Which is a problem because if your guns are rocking a pitiful %1.2 the damage they do is almost nothing if they hit an already destroyed bulkhead. Secondaries really need a significantly reduced small ship penalty.

Perhaps even just make the small ship penalty apply less and less to smaller guns in general so (torpedo boat) destroyers can do what they were originally expected to do.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tankaxe said:

TBs give a -%85 small ship penalty to what ever is firing at it. Also with how the bulkhead system works you need to damage every single bulkhead or the TB wont sink. Which is a problem because if your guns are rocking a pitiful %1.2 the damage they do is almost nothing if they hit an already destroyed bulkhead. Secondaries really need a significantly reduced small ship penalty.

I'd rather see TBs take more damage from hits rather than be easier to hit.  Their only real defense should be avoiding getting hit.  That they can withstand multiple hits from 4", 5", and even 6" weaponry feels really far off the mark for me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

bulkheads/damage system are a general problem right now.

You can make ship shattering damage, damage that would break a ship in half in RL and in game its still sits with 5% structure and fires back at you.

I hope that the dev either rework damage saturation or that if crew becomes a factor, the problem is solved.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured out secondary hit rate/destroyer main battery hit rate for 4" guns was about 1 hit in 1140 shots fired... 2" wasn't much worse at 1 in 1280 shots fired...which is abysmal to say the least. And this was against torpedo boats. Might be higher vs larger ships but this is where it count's and that quite simply isn't workable.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...