Game-Labs Forum
derekticus

Love the Wind Boosts!

I am really enjoying this new patch:   The Wind Boosts are an incredible addition to the game!

It takes the tedium out of trade runs, and I really enjoy the way sometimes the Boosts line up like the "Trade Winds" might in real-life.

I will add that having Port Battles on PvE has added a lot of excitement to that Server.

Thanks!

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Saryk said:

Strictly from your PvE server point of view, I see how it is not a bad thing.

It is however moronically bad in PvP, for reasons explained in countless other threads...

Bad in pvp?? Why? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jorge said:

Bad in pvp?? Why? 

Also wondering why people think moving around our giant map a bit faster is bad....

• Like 3

Anxiously awaiting the plasma cannon and cloaking device upgrade patch.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Anxiously awaiting the plasma cannon and cloaking device upgrade patch.

As real as a Snow sinking a 3rd... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jorge said:

Bad in pvp?? Why? 

7 hours ago, Oli Garchy said:

Also wondering why people think moving around our giant map a bit faster is bad....

The gusts make it much easier for dedicated PvPers to gank traders, or basically anyone who isn't using them actively. The duration of each gust is quite long, which allows players to hunt near ports using them. Makes them practically invulnerable, as they can also use the speed to run from any would-be defenders that come from said port.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Geth said:

The gusts make it much easier for dedicated PvPers to gank traders, or basically anyone who isn't using them actively.

The last part of your statement is key.

Don’t AFK, use the gusts yourself in your trader. Sometimes you’ll get caught. More often you’ll end up still being faster on your best point if sail than your attacker who might have a slightly higher wind boost. 

16 minutes ago, Farrago said:

The last part of your statement is key.

Don’t AFK, use the gusts yourself in your trader. Sometimes you’ll get caught. More often you’ll end up still being faster on your best point if sail than your attacker who might have a slightly higher wind boost. 

That's not really the issue. The problem is gankers waiting around populated port areas where there are no wind gusts. The timers are long enough so that they can stake out major trade hubs without fear of being caught by defending forces.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saryk said:

Our coast guard is players reactively coming out of a port to tag enemy players coming out of their gank battle, because we do not have enough players to have a proactive coast guard hunting in our waters. They can therefore never catch up to someone who is wind boosted and rigged for speed..

The victim mentality gets pretty old here. Once you have a coast guard fleet mustered, then you do the hunting. Bring out fast tagging ships and chase them away, or god forbid anticipate where the hunters are sailing out of and cut them off on their way home after you scare them away...

And... if all else fails, move your activity to somewhere else that’s more safe. Deny them their fun... perhaps, go hunt their coastline for a while instead of doing whatever it is that’s getting you ganked?

There’s always an alternative to tilting at windmills on the forum. ;) 

1 hour ago, Saryk said:

Mate, we have 19 ports and all but one are within 10 minutes TOPS of sailing of one another. There is no "safer place".

You mean rally the entirety of our 20 online people right now ?

Remind me which nation you play ?

I play for the US, and you’re right, it’s easier to find safer spots than for France, but if you know people are camping Fort Royale, then teleport over to some other port and away you go... right?

Or just abandon whatever you’re doing at that moment and go hunt out of a free town for a while or hit the shallows and cap some ships for the PvP zone, etc.? There are so many things to occupy yourself with other than holing up in port and moaning about some baddies outside your capital... 

Love the wind boosts too, a much needed and nice addition to the game. One adjustment I would suggest is adding a small/medium turning debuff along with it so it's harder to tag while boosted too make it less op in pvp encounters. Even if just to appease the critics of it. 

55 minutes ago, Saryk said:

Check around my profile, I've argued plenty about alliances. 

And I don't hate the wind gusts, I believe they were implemented in a bad way for the wrong reasons.

I liked this idea that's been suggested somewhere "if you're not within 25k of any port, you get a speed boost". So much more interesting.

Agreed in full.

49 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Very persuasive. Color me convinced. 🙄

The problem with leaving things as-is and relying on the future introduction of alliances/diplomacy mechanics is twofold:

1) In the interim, smaller nations will suffer disproportionately, discouraging new players and alienating existing ones.

2) Game design should never involve a cyclical process of buffs to match opposing buffs. This never leads to good things.

• Like 1

Now, I used the wind gust to catch a ship much faster then mine.

I first sailed in a totally wrong direction to get the wind boost, then turned to catch the enemy and gained on him without any problem.

I don't like, that two ships can be in the excactly same place and one ship has the boost, the other not.

It should be wind zones, where you can be in or out, butyou cannot charge your ship with wind.

• Like 2

I like a bit more realism in the game.

Someone sailing slightly outside a wind zone shouldn't have the boost, someone sailing in tje should have it. The zone my be indicated by clouds or the colors of the ocean's surface, but the wind should be the same for all players. I wouldn't have a problem with the wind having a different impact on different woods used on ships ( the heavier a ship is, the better it can profit from heavy winds).

I even would like to see different wind zones in battle instance.

39 minutes ago, Sea Archer said:

I first sailed in a totally wrong direction to get the wind boost, then turned to catch the enemy and gained on him without any problem.

And that's the problem wind gust should be only one direction. Otherwise let just equip all ships with giant fans.

Edited by Tortue Agile

I am also enjoying the wind boosts but I agree that zones would be an improvement but a great deal harder to code and implement properly i suspect. There are some situations where much larger ships can surround you when you are not boosted and you are particularly vulnerable when you have just left port, which is a little bit of a problem and might need a resolution. Some kind of auto boost when you leave port? Its not perfect but an improvement particularly with low pop where it is sometimes necessary to travel further to find pvp

• Like 1

This is my interpretation on how it logically should work, and I would guess the majority would agree. ALSO in therms of balance, same area = same boost, to start with in all directions, but later on? Also if you cross the path going afk you probably wont get the full advantage of the wind. Maybe its own wind cycle instead of the global one (probably needs alot of programming). Dont misunderstand the picture.

The zone should spawn random places each day, the full wind force will be x %, the center will be 100% of that, middle 65% of it and at the edge you only get 35% of the force in that area. If you go afk and cross the zone you wont have that full advantage probably (remember this could just be an early version), later on maybe you would have to sail around the wind zone to prevent being pushed back etc.

OK so how can we tell where the wind is stronger, well, what happens on the sea, when the wind catches up?

- The waves on the sea gets larger, the sea gets rougher, and you can significantly see the difference on the picture below.

- NO weather forecast on the map, only the waves, use the free camera if you want to send your drone 100m up into the air to scout for you.

And in the future? Maybe it wouldnt be that smart to go AFK with full sails through a strong gale on that small frigate, or schooner, maybe you would have to sail around it, and if you happen to be AFK during that time, maybe you come back with 5% sails left trying to limp your way back to the closest port for a repair.

image.thumb.png.cb8815a4436e43fedd738fded3c244a8.png

image.png.bced1576db6741e28ac892690f7b8091.png

• Like 1

I was sailing the coasts in the N Mosquito/Belize area yesterday.  Looking at the map above ^ there is no need for a wind boost in that area.  I did not see any while I was travelling.  This area doesn't need a Turbo Wind ZONE either.

Look at the specifics.  I docked at most ports.  In this area, sailing a slow trade ship, the port to port jouneys are 4 to 12 minutes.  In a faster ship the times would be shorter: 3 to 10 minutes.  The shortest legs were a couple minutes.   If people can't endure just 10 minutes of sailing they may be playing the wrong game.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1