Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Djakary

Wind bonus

10 hours ago, Sir Max Magic said:

I found another example:

We have the 2 min Join Timer in OW for a well known reason:

!! You fight what you see !!

With this new wind mechanic in place, you can imagine how far away fleets could be and still make it into battle in the 2 min window...

We discussed RoE for over 3 years now and  now we throw all reasons why it is like it is, out of the window with this new silly mechanic :( 

We killed the balanced RoE when introducing the 20min timer for the weaker side.

Now with this wind thing it gets even worse. Why do we have open world at all, if people prefer instant fighting without chasing before?

Bring back the arena for those and give the others, who enjoy sailing, a more realistic OW with the old 2min timer for battles.

LOVE IT!!  The savings in time is amazing.  I like how they are spaced away from the land at (relatively) even spot.  And having each one of the wind boosts give a different bonus adds interest to the process.  While this is an outstanding new feature for travel, it is unfortunately too powerful for PVP uses.  You can swoop down on players who may have had a chance to otherwise escape, and if you are using it, you can blow past players who would otherwise be able to tag you.  The very simple solution to this is to have the effect dissipate, the instant that another player is in sight.  I cannot stress enough how great this is for moving around our map....but it needs to come off in sight of enemy players.

• Like 1

Just make it jump point like
A00AE630-F38C-433F-A5CA-D1E5C538E56F.gif

keep the speed rate, keep the duration...
Available to tag and so on, but if he/she/it moves the rudder - the speed boost is gone...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angus MacDuff said:

LOVE IT!!  The savings in time is amazing.  I like how they are spaced away from the land at (relatively) even spot.  And having each one of the wind boosts give a different bonus adds interest to the process.  While this is an outstanding new feature for travel, it is unfortunately too powerful for PVP uses.  You can swoop down on players who may have had a chance to otherwise escape, and if you are using it, you can blow past players who would otherwise be able to tag you.  The very simple solution to this is to have the effect dissipate, the instant that another player is in sight.  I cannot stress enough how great this is for moving around our map....but it needs to come off in sight of enemy players.

I am glad it saves time.

I am unhappy as you are in that it is creating issues related to PvP of when someone "has" a wind boost and someone else "doesn't." 

Someone who has just left a port has no boost, a player waiting for an enemy to leave a port now has some incredible speed power to almost guarantee catching them, lets not even mention if someone is scouting for you while you wait at a trade wind to use it.

• Like 1

There is so much wrong about this addition. Its just bad, and a punch in the gut for me and my playstyle. If I want to AFK sail, let me do it. Its how I want to play the game.

• Like 3

in the wind bonus I just didn't like that "you have to click on the icon and choose to use" since it's wind,,
it was just for "you" to pass by and automatically you already got the wind buff.

• Like 2

Copying my response in the patch thread to admin:

Great to see implementation of weather and variable winds. Could use tweaks though.  Went out in a Prince and caught I gust that had me going 50 knts @90 degrees! So it was a bit more than 50% greater than the normal speed. That kind of boost implies storm level winds and we should be shortening sail. Seems a bit too much, but ok it is to reduce travel time I get it.  But it lasts way too long.

Gusts really should be just a spot on the map that everyone benefits from by being there not a moving zone that travels with you when you hit the button. Should really be in a certain direction too. You could leave the markers on the map for visualization. Leaving the gust as a zone on the map, which could be large or small, might just take care of the ganking fears as well. AFK sailors could still miss the area just like irl if you are not keeping a lookout for better wind. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 8:25 PM, DeRuyter said:

Gusts really should be just a spot on the map that everyone benefits from by being there not a moving zone that travels with you when you hit the button. Should really be in a certain direction too. You could leave the markers on the map for visualization. Leaving the gust as a zone on the map, which could be large or small, might just take care of the ganking fears as well. AFK sailors could still miss the area just like irl if you are not keeping a lookout for better wind. 

sounds like a much better implementation like the ridiculous arcadey unbalanced one we have now +1

• Like 1