Game-Labs Forum
admin

Seasonal Update: Treacherous Waters - Preliminary information

3 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

I fear this a little too, but after tagging two Trader Lynx in my boosted 50knts USS i think maybe taking the prepared-perk from the game is the solution... If you have at least 30-40 seconds to react in the good Tag, you have a good Chance to escape. If enemy is close Side to Side and prepared with loaded chains you are dead ... 

It's not just the ease of tagging some poor helpless slowpoke.  A defenceless trader with the speed boost can blow right past you if you don't happen to have it.  That's just wrong....

1 minute ago, Angus MacDuff said:

It's not just the ease of tagging some poor helpless slowpoke.  A defenceless trader with the speed boost can blow right past you if you don't happen to have it.  That's just wrong....

A gust of wind could be pushing s ship not far from you and you would not necessarily get that gust as well. Its just very fickle wind. 

3 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

But it works both ways. And it greatly rewards players that are not AFK or multi boxing to the extent that they miss getting the speed boosts. That’s something we should encourage.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Destraex said:

A gust of wind could be pushing s ship not far from you and you would not necessarily get that gust as well. Its just very fickle wind. 

True, but this speed boost is beyond that.  A Tbrig that has 60knots available for 12 minutes is not getting a slight edge from a gust of wind.  It really has to lose it's effect in sight of enemies.

Admin would it be possible to not remove the wind gusts when reaching port? So that we keep them the next day until maintenance? That way people can map the day's gusts and it'll save printscreening constantly.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Capitalism said:

But it works both ways. And it greatly rewards players that are not AFK or multi boxing to the extent that they miss getting the speed boosts. That’s something we should encourage.

Absolutely.  I very much enjoyed picking up the boosts on my way around the map.  You can see a history of the ones you've had and pretty accurately predict where the next one will be. 

• Like 1

@admin. Sorry to disturb but I need some clarification before trying again this evening (to be honest, in spite of my total disappointment from this patch).

Yesterday evening, like almost everyone, I tried the wind boosts. I noticed that boost characteristics were changing from use to use: less boost percentage and longer time. So, I have two questions:

- Is this boots evolution from use to use a coded game feature or is this just something that occurred to me yesterday at random? 

- Does this evolution of boost characteristics occur only on use the boost, or is this only linked to the number of boosts which are simply generated by movements in the Open World? 

Nota: I just want to clarify the reasons of my disappointment.

1- I don't like PVE. What is proposed now is PVE based (repetitive and soon boring). I did not complete any PVE mission or group mission in 2018 and 2019. I prefer leaving the game and losing investment of 6 accounts and so many DLC's than making a single PVE mission. The only one kill mission I launched two weeks ago: I launched it because someone told me that this is the only easy way to have gold chests, I did not finished it (bored in 2 minutes) knowing that I will never open a gold chest  (and so, never get the "big" books). That's life isn't it? 

2- I like strategy, preparation,  cold blood analysis. I spent time to prepare a raid in enemy water, chose the ship (not the Trinc or Pirate Frig that everyone uses for that, but something more unexpected), craft and craft again until I got the RNG I needed (very fast). And I can see now that this preparation is destroyed by lottery wind boosts...

3- I rely on my clan mates for defending against PVE PB's. I don't like to leave the dirty job to others without making my part of the job. I can't make my part of the job because I am not retired. In a few weeks, I'll have to choose between making PVE or not playing for clan needs. Both choices are bad choices for me, I'll have to choose between plague and cholera. 

5 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

Is this boots evolution from use to use a coded game feature or is this just something that occurred to me yesterday at random?

I found that they were all different.  Once I got 70% for 6 mins.  Next was 48% for 14 mins.  I will have to start mapping them to see if a particular wind boost is in the same place every day at the same value.

15 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

@admin- I like strategy, preparation,  cold blood analysis. I spent time to prepare a raid in enemy water, chose the ship (not the Trinc or Pirate Frig that everyone uses for that, but something more unexpected), craft and craft again until I got the RNG I needed (very fast). And I can see now that this preparation is destroyed by lottery wind boosts...

Sry mate, but you made my day. I imagined a Guy who was Planing, crafting, preparing his "raid in enemy waters" for weeks, then, on the big day, leaving the port in his super fast ship with shiny upgrades ... and 4 minutes later tagged and chained by a fast Prince, boarded by an oak/oak Aga ... and the preparation phase starts again 😂😅🤣

Seriously, If you dont like unexpected things happen to you, you can only stay in Harbour, surely dont sail the sea with a boat.

PS:

Sorry cant delete this @Admin thingy

Edited by Earl of Grey

7 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

I found that they were all different.  Once I got 70% for 6 mins.  Next was 48% for 14 mins.  I will have to start mapping them to see if a particular wind boost is in the same place every day at the same value.

My 1st one was 85% for 7 mins, then I got less and less % (down to 45%) for more and more time (up to 14 mins)

I did a lot of them on a long journey and they varied up and down. They don't just decrease as you use them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aquillas said:

My 1st one was 85% for 7 mins, then I got less and less % (down to 45%) for more and more time (up to 14 mins)

It depends on the location.

31 minutes ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

Admin would it be possible to not remove the wind gusts when reaching port? So that we keep them the next day until maintenance? That way people can map the day's gusts and it'll save printscreening constantly.

I was under the impression that once "mapped" they should be there permanently...

but I was disappointed - when you dock you lose them, when you log off, you lose them.

that's not "everyone can see them."

The Trade winds should be permanently shown to everyone, I just wish they were a "zone" like the patrol zone circles. I also want to repeat what others have been saying - I wish you would lose the bonus when you reach land in your view range or when a player comes into view.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

all while binge watching Lifetime shows with literally no risk

At least watch sports..fer gawds sake! (Rugby World Cup got me killed last week!)

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, koltes said:

Also how is solo player gonna survive? 

Buying DLCs? Or maybe naval action 2 (and I'm not kidding here … think about it twice and you realize why).

Edited by toblerone

They should remove the ability to tag while under the effect of speed boost. Introduce a way so you can remove your speed boost before tagging so you are at normal OW speed for your ship before you can tag.

• Like 1

An alternative to current wind gusts. They should be by zones and limited to those zones. Not by time. With random positions and should not be visible. The wind improvement would be automatic, when the player joins those areas, without player intervention except to change that speed. Likewise, strong gusts at full sails should be able to destroy the rigs and sails. A gust of wind is not steady. its changes continuosly and must not affect everybody in the same way.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 3:34 AM, admin said:

Finally the update is almost here.  

• Loki Rune
  •  
  • Other changes
    •  
    • Overloading is not allowed in battle instances

• Loki Rune could be fun if it would load you into the most recent started battle. Twice I was loaded into a NPC ship that was almost sunk already taking on water. Very boring.
  • Removing Overloading makes it impossible to take any loot because the Split function does not work while the cargo is on enemy ship. So, from now on, all this promotes is ganker trader hunters to always sailing a large ship and attacking small traders, or capping the trader and not receiving a point for any kill mission. Not fun.

Please, fix the Split on Enemy Ship function or give us back Overloading.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, van der Clam said:

Removing Overloading makes it impossible to take any loot because the Split function does not work while the cargo is on enemy ship. So, from now on, all this promotes is ganker trader hunters to always sailing a large ship and attacking small traders, or capping the trader and not receiving a point for any kill mission. Not fun.

You can change your ship with the captured one, sort loot and then change back to your ship and sink the captured one. And it is counted as kill now.

But I agree, we should be able to split and sort out loot in enemy hold.

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

The Trade winds should be permanently shown to everyone, I just wish they were a "zone" like the patrol zone circles. I also want to repeat what others have been saying - I wish you would lose the bonus when you reach land in your view range or when a player comes into view.

It looks like we are introducing magic to a game of Naval combat... I don't like it.

8 hours ago, DreadPirateBob said:

Let's go with a low-end estimate of 2 L'Oceans, 2 Bucs, 2 Wasas.  2x9,000 + 2x7,000 + 2x2800.  You're risking 37,600 doubloons worth of ships (plus ~2.5 hours of your time) for 30k dubs.  You also have to safely bring that chest back to port.

You can capture 6 first rates and destroy any elite enemies with ease. 
Cost = FREE!
One guy finished the raid SOLO yesterday. 

13 minutes ago, Tortue Agile said:

It looks like we are introducing magic to a game of Naval combat... I don't like it.

Wind gusts are not magic. 
You should read this book 
https://www.amazon.com/Deep-Sea-Sailing-Errol-Bruce/dp/B003X5SPQA

it has a whole section on wind gusts and its irregularity. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Thorka said:

They should be by zones and limited to those zones. Not by time. With random positions and should not be visible. The wind improvement would be automatic, when the player joins those areas, without player intervention except to change that speed.

100% agreement. I find it bewildering that we can see sail icons on the map that indicate where the wind gusts are located, but have to use a perk to see our ship location. Pretzel logic.

4 minutes ago, Captiva said:

100% agreement. I find it bewildering that we can see sail icons on the map that indicate where the wind gusts are located, but have to use a perk to see our ship location. Pretzel logic.

Star navigation is a more complex skill and requires a per point
Seeing a particular cloud, or wave irregularity (or darker spot) at distance just requires establishing visual any sailor at top mast can do it. 

It is very interesting that you object this mechanic while accepting pressing W as a command to set sails and saying that having teleports is a great compromise.

• Like 2