Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
admin

Seasonal Update: Treacherous Waters - Preliminary information

Recommended Posts

This really needs an open test server so ridiculous shit like this isn't dropped on the live server of a released game and then we get to balance it with ridiculous headaches over the next 2-3 weeks. 

I understand that ships with stronger winds at their backs move faster, but in this mechanic only those out to sea who have gone to the redeemable are now have the boost. Even in stronger wind, a SOL would not catch a Bermuda Schooner, even in the most ideal situations without the schooner having lost a mast or spar. I think it would have been better with OW zones with flat increases while in the area rather than redeemable OW events.

So now, using a similar example to those above, a Bellona would catch a t lynx in OW, then both players get to waste their time in a battle that, in reality, neither should be in. while the Bellona hopes for the perfect tag (which is no guarantee given the lag placement issue) while the lynx beats to windward until it is out of range, and then rinse and repeat in OW until the Bellona's speed boost wears off.  

Or, if we are still attempting for realism, make it a 33% chance the speed boost actually slows the ship redeeming it. You take the risk sailing in stronger winds, let's see if your ship doesn't have a mast carried away by them. 

I like the idea of NPC raids forcing larger nations to use their territory or give it up. I think that is a good addition. 

The rest, we will have to wait and see. Port raiding could make life significantly more difficult since it just became much more difficult to rebuild upgrades with the trade nerfs 

Edited by Psycho3630
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

@admin did you even consider that if 2 ships sails towards each other 1 ship INSANELY stronger then the other gets the wind boost while the other one which in battle is faster would end up sinking because the thougher ship sailing THE SAME WIND would end up atop of him? This is what everyone is trying to point out where you say "well everyone can use them" NO!! Not everyone will have the chance to use them because this will happen

unknown.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, admin said:
  • Other changes
    • Due to travel speed increases - rewards for delivery quests was lowered

So, Doubloons are no longer rewarded for most cargo or passenger missions?  Why?  Because we now have wind zones that can temporarily increase our speeds?

To compensate for this drastic change, did you lower the cost of port investments or crafting buildings?  Were the Doubloons rewarded from combat substantially increased?  If not, I'm not sure how anyone can be expected to get anything accomplished if they're only playing on a single account...  Good luck getting the Doubloons needed to relocate and rebuild your Shipyard to level 3 for the nth time now that a certain overpopulated nation has taken your shipbuilding port from you!  Heaven forbid we're able to get our port investments repaired after a bully has come along and destroyed them...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I guess I don't really understand all the handwringing about the wind boosts.

I mean, I agree they could be implemented in a more dynamic and interesting way, but as it stands, if you're in a faster ship in battle, and you're not AFK, then even if you're pulled into battle by a speed boosted 1st rate you should have been able to force a bad tag, easily escape, and once you exit battle you're still much faster and can sail away in peace?  

What's the downside of increasing the speed at which you can move on the open world, increasing interactions with other players and increasing the ability to conduct actual trade missions, etc.?  

no, say i roll out with my bellona, i get a wind boost which lasts 15 minutes, i can pull up right next to your frigate taking the wind before the battle, the first thing i do is to demast you or a full broadside of chain down to 60% or if you try to protect your sails i pull up and board you, tell me how you can avoid it if i have over 50% speed increase from what you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I guess I don't really understand all the handwringing about the wind boosts.

I mean, I agree they could be implemented in a more dynamic and interesting way, but as it stands, if you're in a faster ship in battle, and you're not AFK, then even if you're pulled into battle by a speed boosted 1st rate you should have been able to force a bad tag, easily escape, and once you exit battle you're still much faster and can sail away in peace?  

What's the downside of increasing the speed at which you can move on the open world, increasing interactions with other players and increasing the ability to conduct actual trade missions, etc.?  

I still haven't tested it, but I think I would be annoyed if I'm tagged by someone who shouldn't have a realistic chance of catching me.  Just for the waste of time.  On the other hand, what I've read so far seems to be saying that much of our escape and evasion will be easier.  test....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Audacious said:

What about currents and their boost? LARGE_Voyager_siocomm_MC_NOAA_current_ma

Gawd no.  Look at that big long arrow in the Caribbean.  Imagine this game if the wind and current is always from the east (as it was IRL).

Edited by Angus MacDuff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wraith said:

Doubloons drop in handfuls from killing AI in open world PvE and hostility missions.  I suggest doing the equivalent of every other major MMO and doing some active "collecting" that actually incurs some risk, as opposed to participating in a broken, no-risk and passive economy that has led to insane inflation and created huge inequality in the game...

Really good point.

I've gotten addicted to the easy doubloons, like everyone else. But, the reality is I'd rather sink my time into fighting ships, rather than running meaningless cargo missions from A to B.

Although...I've got a few cargo missions saved up. Hopefully they'll still give me dubs. ROFL.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Psycho3630 said:

Even in stronger wind, a SOL would not catch a Bermuda Schooner, even in the most ideal situations without the schooner having lost a mast or spar. 

Can you post the video please of a SOL sailing faster than a privateer at 15 degrees to wind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Psycho3630 said:

 

I understand that ships with stronger winds at their backs move faster, but in this mechanic only those out to sea who have gone to the redeemable are now have the boost. Even in stronger wind, a SOL would not catch a Bermuda Schooner, even in the most ideal situations without the schooner having lost a mast or spar. I think it would have been better with OW zones with flat increases while in the area rather than redeemable OW events.

So now, using a similar example to those above, a Bellona would catch a t lynx in OW, then both players get to waste their time in a battle that, in reality, neither should be in. while the Bellona hopes for the perfect tag (which is no guarantee given the lag placement issue) while the lynx beats to windward until it is out of range, and then rinse and repeat in OW until the Bellona's speed boost wears off.  

Or, if we are still attempting for realism, make it a 33% chance the speed boost actually slows the ship redeeming it. You take the risk sailing in stronger winds, let's see if your ship doesn't have a mast carried away by them. 

 

Okay I have not logged on yet, but I want to understand how the wind patch system works. Do you mean there is a button (redeemable?) that you see on the OW which you sail up to get a gust?  I thought it was just a random area on the OW that everyone would pick up if they were in that area. That would be more like IRL - of course you would also have spots of light winds like in the shadow of a land mass. 

You bring up a good point here - if you are caught in high winds unprepared a ship could suffer rigging damage - implementing high wind areas without the potential for sail damage is missing something. Your SOL or large frigate would catch the schooner since it can carry far more sail in high winds the only way the schooner or lynx in your example gets away is if it starts the chase to windward or manages to get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Psycho3630 said:

This really needs an open test server so ridiculous shit like this isn't dropped on the live server of a released game and then we get to balance it with ridiculous headaches over the next 2-3 weeks. 

I understand that ships with stronger winds at their backs move faster, but in this mechanic only those out to sea who have gone to the redeemable are now have the boost. Even in stronger wind, a SOL would not catch a Bermuda Schooner, even in the most ideal situations without the schooner having lost a mast or spar. I think it would have been better with OW zones with flat increases while in the area rather than redeemable OW events.

So now, using a similar example to those above, a Bellona would catch a t lynx in OW, then both players get to waste their time in a battle that, in reality, neither should be in. while the Bellona hopes for the perfect tag (which is no guarantee given the lag placement issue) while the lynx beats to windward until it is out of range, and then rinse and repeat in OW until the Bellona's speed boost wears off.  

Or, if we are still attempting for realism, make it a 33% chance the speed boost actually slows the ship redeeming it. You take the risk sailing in stronger winds, let's see if your ship doesn't have a mast carried away by them. 

I like the idea of NPC raids forcing larger nations to use their territory or give it up. I think that is a good addition. 

The rest, we will have to wait and see. Port raiding could make life significantly more difficult since it just became much more difficult to rebuild upgrades with the trade nerfs 

Yes, now that the game is "released", we need a public test server.  These drastic untested changes are what is killing this game.

Regarding the wind zone speed bonuses, I agree that they should just apply to the larger open areas of the map and be a flat increase for everyone in those areas.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

Okay I have not logged on yet, but I want to understand how the wind patch system works. Do you mean there is a button (redeemable?) that you see on the OW which you sail up to get a gust?  I thought it was just a random area on the OW that everyone would pick up if they were in that area. That would be more like IRL - of course you would also have spots of light winds like in the shadow of a land mass. 

You bring up a good point here - if you are caught in high winds unprepared a ship could suffer rigging damage - implementing high wind areas without the potential for sail damage is missing something. Your SOL or large frigate would catch the schooner since it can carry far more sail in high winds the only way the schooner or lynx in your example gets away is if it starts the chase to windward or manages to get there. 

You just put an idea in my head that would be a funny way to balance this out...  If you want to use these wind zones, then you'd have a high chance to enter battle at 50% sails if you initiated combat while using one... :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 minutes ago, rediii said:

There is only feedback to the wind here. But raid missions, well I thought we can take them like hostility missions for every port we want. Is there any reason to make people search for raid missions and where they got one?

i can take raid mission for San Juan from Terre-de-Bas :D👀

Also about that @admin are the items duplicated (exploitable) or do we steal from the clan owners warehouse?

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radar, super wind highways, fantastical non historical nation's including a Disney pirate 'nation' 

I miss Naval Action.

Quote:

 · Naval Action is a hardcore, realistic, and beautifully detailed naval combat sandbox immersing players into the experience of the most beautiful period of naval history - when sailing ships ruled the seas.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Wyy said:

i can take raid mission for San Juan from Terre-de-Bas :D👀

Also about that @admin are the items duplicated (exploitable) or do we steal from the clan owners warehouse?

Exploits must be reported in support or private communications. Usage of unreported exploits, dupes or item cloning is considered to be an exploit, and your account might get banned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Audacious said:

What about currents and their boost? LARGE_Voyager_siocomm_MC_NOAA_current_ma

I think this is good, just add wind currents around the map, as soon as you are out of the road, your speed should drop. This way a victory should not catch a faster ship if faster or smaller ship is not afk.

The wind currents dynamically should change direction time to time (10-20 minutes?). Use it when it favours you, a nice bonus.

And the Wind currents should be away from land. You have to sail away from port and land. Should show on map.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since January 2016 you have reset and update this game many times and lots of my crews and friends who enjoy this game together left this game. You need to know how many people quit this game because of updates and resets. 

 

Conquer by enemy players. It's ok. Conquer by raider? it is not good.

If raider attacks while all players involved in the port are at work or in sleep, the port will be lost. Would people like to like it? No. Everyone involved in the port will leave this game. It takes months to invest in a port, and you're trying to burn people's time and effort. Do you know it? I hope you think about the impact of the game update.

 

You posted a practice week. Next, the actual port battle against raider. Next, What? lots of players escape? Your all employees need to play this game for a few months. If you should be robbed of your ships, items and ports, only then you will know what you need.

 

I know. I know you're trying. I think it would be more helpful for the game to make the BGM, show the video when the ship is crafted and make opening videos. We bought for funning this game, not for suffering. I want you to think deeply about the purpose of the game. Realistic? good. But fun is more important.

 

Lastly, How to buy ships and items without the reals? Who can fight without ships? Please return shipping costs to normal.

Thank you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Gawd no.  Look at that big long arrow in the Caribbean.  Imagine this game if the wind and current is always from the east (as it was IRL).

you have to sail right through it to get a boost, think. It would be just a line that you can take if needed. 

Edited by Audacious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
15 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

I think this is good, just add wind currents around the map, as soon as you are out of the road, your speed should drop. This way a victory should not catch a faster ship if faster or smaller ship is not afk.

The wind currents dynamically should change direction time to time (10-20 minutes?). Use it when it favours you, a nice bonus.

And the Wind currents should be away from land. You have to sail away from port and land. Should show on map.

this would be a thousand times better, much wind where the land isnt as tall e.g. normal wind behind mountained islands etc, it would also cause natural trade routes which everyone would understand and expect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really not looking forward to having a fleet of gankers in 1st rates running down my 15.5 kn Prince de Neufchâtel because they found a magic floating icon to click and I didn't... it's certainly not like I'm worried about my trade ships getting attacked, as I won't be wasting hours of my life running economy missions anymore, since they no longer reward Doubloons...  It was also bad enough when someone could come from 20 minutes away to interfere in your PvE battle and sink you after you were already committed to the fight and beaten up, but now they can cover even greater distances in that time, and you're going to be forced to PvE even more to get Doubloons...  In their infinite wisdom, the developers even gave potential gankers a rare upgrade (Ship Logbooks) that shows these opportunistic vultures your open battles...

I'm not typically a doomsayer, but this might be the last nail in the coffin for me, and probably for a lot of my Clan members...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SunguruXT said:

Lastly, How to buy ships and items without the reals? Who can fight without ships? Please return shipping costs to normal.

Thank you.

Speeds are doubled, rewards are halved. Pretty simple math, I recon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WilsonMG said:

I'm really not looking forward to having a fleet of gankers in 1st rates running down my 15.5 kn Prince de Neufchâtel because they found a magic floating icon to click and I didn't... it's certainly not like I'm worried about my trade ships getting attacked, as I won't be wasting hours of my life running economy missions anymore, since they no longer reward Doubloons...  It was also bad enough when someone could come from 20 minutes away to interfere in your PvE battle and sink you after you were already committed to the fight and beaten up, but now they can cover even greater distances in that time, and you're going to be forced to PvE even more to get Doubloons...  In their infinite wisdom, the developers even gave potential gankers a rare upgrade (Ship Logbooks) that shows these opportunistic vultures your open battles...

I'm not typically a doomsayer, but this might be the last nail in the coffin for me, and probably for a lot of my Clan members...

You've got a good point here. The battle timers need to be reworked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my Clan members just told us he stacked three of these wind zone speed bonuses to achieve 99 kn... at least visually, according to the GUI; he was uncertain of his actual speed...

20191022120640_1.jpg?width=985&height=61

1*xRzwCpVdeVWq8h1W70aiAA.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Brig at sea said:

Speeds are doubled, rewards are halved. Pretty simple math, I recon.

no ... speed is not doubled even if you have luck finding one it's maybe 50% more ... way not every port offers you cargo missions with doubs ... in none of my 9 ouposts is still a cargo mission with doubs so rewards are maybe still 10% ... considering a speed boost if you are lucky you might make still 20% of what you made before

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WilsonMG said:

One of my Clan members just told us he stacked three of these wind patch speed bonuses to achieve 99 kn... at least visually, according to the GUI; he was uncertain of his actual speed...

20191022120640_1.jpg?width=985&height=61

1*xRzwCpVdeVWq8h1W70aiAA.jpeg

Please no rumors in patch notes. You cannot stack wind gusts.

That screen is not a proof because 99 speed could show on compass even before the patch due to lag or short packet loss, due to server compensating your actual position with server one by moving you faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...