Game-Labs Forum
admin

Seasonal Update: Treacherous Waters - Preliminary information

2 hours ago, WilsonMG said:

I can't say for certain that our community is done with Naval Action for good, but after having spent years now working to get our community members engaged in this game, striving against the odds to keep them engaged in spite of the game's shortcomings, and having watched so many of them leave in favor of games that are more rewarding to them for their time, I would say the outlook is anything but great.

Sad day nevertheless 🙁
Regardless whether you are a pirate or an enemy player I'm sad to see you go man. I know for a fact that you done much and truly well for your community and for this game community.
We need more sane people like yourself.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

I would like to suggest two additions. First a player that leaves a PvP battle should have a wind bonus for at least 5 minutes to avoid being tagged over and over again by wind bonused ships waiting outside the battle. There must be a chance to escape from a gank. This would promote PvP. Second the time for the wind bonus for trader ships should be doubled to promote trading activities.

muhaha. tell me, why has there to be a chance to escape a counter-gank? because it suits your playstyle. overwhelming force against a weak target and run like hell from serious opposition. aren´t there any hard-balled raiders here anymore?? :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

muhaha. tell me, why has there to be a chance to escape a counter-gank? because it suits your playstyle. overwhelming force against a weak target and run like hell from serious opposition. aren´t there any hard-balled raiders here anymore?? :)

There are some left. 😉 Sadly there are way more soft balled gankers here (and I except you because I fought against you many times and I know you are an excellent player). To answers your question: otherwise lone hunters will disappear in a long run as traders will. And who should be ganked than with super wind bonuses Christians catching Trinkos that left battles recently. Bad for all.

Edited by Sir Loorkon
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

There are some left. 😉 Sadly there are way more soft balled gankers here (and I except you because I fought against you many times and I know you are an excellent player). 

far from excellent but humble thanks. my opinion is that we already have way too overpowered ships with all the upgrades and books and repair stuff . so my dear friend, I am and will be against more possibilities to escape from battles unscathed. best wishes, Gene

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WilsonMG said:

Yep.  Before this update came along and absolutely crushed our Clan's morale, we were actually ramping up to do a big giveaway during the upcoming Steam Halloween Sale, to bring in more new players by handing out copies of the game to our members who had it on their Steam Wishlist.  We might be a large community by most standards, but we're a non-profit entity, so we try to sync up our giveaways with Steam Sales.  The MG XO--my second-in-command, who assists me with overseeing the MG community--was also very active in Naval Action.  He owns a chain of game stores in Texas, and in recent months, he's been branching his business out to include selling game keys, and I know he was very interested in reaching out to the publishers of this game to start selling Naval Action Steam keys, and hopefully get it distributed to more players in the US, all because he believed in its potential.  As to whether he is still interested in that, I can't say, but in light of this game branch literally becoming almost nonexistent within the last few days, we definitely won't be doing a giveaway.

The primary causes for this sudden turn of events are the drastic, untested changes to the game mechanics resulting from this latest update, and the way admin chose to respond to any kind of constructive criticism regarding these issues.  Those responses crushed any hope any of our members might have been clinging to for these changes to be reverted.  Those issues, were the final straw for us.

Now, I've been here since the earliest days of this game, and a member of these forums for even longer, and I've weathered all kinds of crazy changes to the game the same as a lot of you have, but that was also during development, when it was to be expected.  These extreme changes to what is supposed to be a fully-released game broke the core game mechanics, and it dropped the bottom out of the already struggling player-driven economy, so much so that even our most-dedicated Naval Action Clan members decided that they had finally had enough, and were stepping back from the game.  As more them continued to voice their disappointment at the direction the game has taken with this update, it made me realize that I, too, no longer found the game to be rewarding for the time investment it requires.  After making our big post-release push to get our members back into Naval Action, and personally averaging between 4 to 8 hours a day in this game for the past 3 months straight, building our Clan into a competitive organization in a shorter amount of time than most, I've finally hit the wall, too.  It's becoming more and more clear to me that this game is being developed to cater to a hardcore, vocal minority within the playerbase.

I can't say for certain that our community is done with Naval Action for good, but after having spent years now working to get our community members engaged in this game, striving against the odds to keep them engaged in spite of the game's shortcomings, and having watched so many of them leave in favor of games that are more rewarding to them for their time, I would say the outlook is anything but great.

Totally agree. It's supposed to be a released game, I even think it could be a reason for refund, this is not what I bought 

Edited by zaba
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Genevieve Malfleurs said:

my opinion is that we already have way too overpowered ships with all the upgrades and books and repair stuff . so my dear friend, I am and will be against more possibilities to escape from battles unscathed. best wishes, Gene

I agree on that. A Trincomalee should never been catched by a Wasa speedwise. But look at the facts. I can take a lone hunting fitted ship which will be very expensive. I sail to a hot spot. I fight. I have to be fast because 90% of the players run. Also I need to be fast to escape from specialized gankers like Signore M. who sail speed modded Christians in large groups with smaller ships. With luck I can escape some times but now guess what will happen if they just catch the wind bonus and wait outside. They can do this repeatingly and I was reported by clan mates that this is happening already. So what do you guess will happen? But again, I am also completely against all the upgrade magic. Every Trincomalee should be faster than a Wasa and every Wasa should be faster than a Christian. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sir Loorkon said:

I agree on that. A Trincomalee should never been catched by a Wasa speedwise. But look at the facts. I can take a lone hunting fitted ship which will be very expensive. I sail to a hot spot. I fight. I have to be fast because 90% of the players run. Also I need to be fast to escape from specialized gankers like Signore M. who sail speed modded Christians in large groups with smaller ships. With luck I can escape some times but now guess what will happen if they just catch the wind bonus and wait outside. They can do this repeatingly and I was reported by clan mates that this is happening already. So what do you guess will happen? But again, I am also completely against all the upgrade magic. Every Trincomalee should be faster than a Wasa and every Wasa should be faster than a Christian. 

I totally agree!

• Like 3

Not sure that the nerf at the delivery mission work against the alts: yesterday i made a trip to the secret island in the  ocean ad i saw 8 basic cutter  traveling in a conga line  from  Rum Cove to kidd..

40 minutes ago, zaba said:

Totally agree. It's supposed to be a released game, I even think it could be a reason for refund, this is not what I bought 

Many released games have added new content after release.  Release just means all the core mechanics are done and aren't going to be changed. Nothing about the core mechanics was changed.  Hell the only thing they did was added more content.   Something the game needs.  

I mean I'll use a prime big example of how games changed over time from original....just look at WoW and how much different it was from the start that they actually came back with WoW Classic cause of all the changes.  Not that I ever played WoW but it's just an example to show how games do change after release.   So exactly what isn't what you bought?  The core rules and mechanics is still a Naval age of sailing MMO sandbox?  As much as I don't like some of the things the dev teams do at times, that still hasn't changed.  

Now if I can just get this stupid graphical stutter in my game to stop or figured out I'll be a happy camper.......

14 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I seem to be the one that actually enjoys the faster travel times and finding people quicker. Shock, horror, Naval Action has more action.

+1

btw, wind boost should be dynamic...they have to move with clouds or storm or something that cannot be ''activated'' by a click. you have to sail in that area to have the wind boost, not sailing always to the same point to have a boost...it isn't a warp-gate.

now you have to improve again trading. PVE'rs will enjoy the wind boost cause they can study the best route to travel from A to B and you will never get ganked even if you have an enemy on your tail. just aim for a boost and activate it some seconds before the enemy so you gain distance until the next boost. 

same for PVP'er. they have to study most populated trading route and where can they attack using the boost.

good introduction, loki is really fun and logbook a bit OP but it's only for few minutes.  Neutral Raids looks a little too hard but never tried yet.

best solution should be dynamic wind boost following clouds, btw.  and maybe some kind of item like ''forecast news'' that everyone can collect discovering boost (moving ones)around the map while sailing and selling it. those news will deplete soon due to moving boost but it's the first introduction to EXPLORATION in naval action

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Release just means all the core mechanics are done and aren't going to be changed

Well, this is exactly what is happening here

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raekur said:

I tested this little switch/split/switch idea and yes it will get the cargo to your ship, but at a cost. Your knowledge slots remain unchanged while in the battle but once you leave they are lost.

I enabled expert carpenter on my surprise, this increased the hull repair usage to 4. I captured a ship, switched. Exited the inventory screen to access the cargo (required) and split the cargo. Then hit x to interact with my original ship to switch back and moved the cargo. Checked repair and it was still at 4. Upon returning to port though I checked and all knowledge slots were blank.

Thsnks for the reply. I hought so. So you end up in the OW with no ship knowledge. Not a good move. 

• Like 1

Did a test of the wind boost.

Built a T/WO Rattisvan. Left Aves. Found a 54% wind boost for 12min duration.

Came and sailed circles round aves at up to 40 knots lol.

A pirate frigate left port.

Still boosted, I chased him at nearly 40 knots. Directly behind him.

Tagged him and fired a couple of test chain shots at him.

I explained what I was doing and we parted ways.

This was no gust or trade wind.

It was a jet engine and took away all feelings of age of sail.

I hope this arcade style of play is removed.

It used to feel like a big map and a long sail to get somewhere. It had scope and depth. Places seemed a long way off. I liked that.

Edited by Bluetooth
  • Like 8

14 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I seem to be the one that actually enjoys the faster travel times and finding people quicker. Shock, horror, Naval Action has more action.

Nope, i like the windboost a lot. Way more action, im being sunk more often and I get to fight more 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bluetooth said:

Did a test of the wind boost.

Built a T/WO Rattisvan. Left Aves. Found a 54% wind boost for 12min duration.

Came and sailed circles round aves at up to 40 knots lol.

A pirate frigate left port.

Still boosted, I chased him at nearly 40 knots. Directly behind him.

Tagged him and fired a couple of test chain shots at him.

I explained what I was doing and we parted ways.

This was no gust or trade wind.

It was a jet engine and took away all feelings of age of sail.

I hope this arcade style of play is removed.

It used to feel like a big map and a long sail to get somewhere. It had scope and depth. Places seemed a long way off. I liked that.

Pirfrigate could've outturned (Rattvisans and bigger ships that are speedboosted have a turning circle of a frigging Truck) you easily and you would have had a shit tag, he would have been able to escape and your windboost is gone ;)

Edited by Je maintiendrai

16 hours ago, koltes said:

My follow up feedback based on yesterday play.

WINDS

Wind gasp is good to have, but it is a fantasy that two ships in one location and time have different wind speed. I will be fine with OW proposed weather system or trade winds. I will even be fine if specific areas just give speed boosts (quite a bit away from the shore) or they can be directional. But they have to be SAME for all ships in that given location. 
I sailed for 20 years. Wind gasps are not some point in the ocean where it suddenly blows. Its a continues wind channel and anyone entering that channel will experience A SERIES of wind gasps because wind in that channel is wild.

The way the wind mechanic was implemented is not a wind gasp, but more of a wind slingshot. And that is far from being realistic. 

OPEN WORLD

I sailed for 5 hours yesterday. I have been around KPR, I jumped to Tombado and sailed from there to Russian territory. I used my alt to sail from Rio Seco up to US. In overall I found about 95% less teaders. I dont know why. Or what was the reason behind it. But its a fact. Normally I would get 10+ easy averaging 3 per hour. Yesterday I got 2 for 5 hours sailing with server population been higher than usual. I will test more, but if this going to be continues business this tells me that there will be drastic reduction of trader targets in OW.

I’ll let you decide if this is a bad or a good thing

Great summary  @koltes +1

I agree, Wind Gusts WOULD be fine, if there WOULD be defined areas in OW where EVERYONE get a boost !!

At best only in a certain direction and when he leaves this specified area, the boost is gone...but i could live temporarily for all directions

...but the idea that, as you pointed out, 2 ships at the same spot at the same time, have different wind speeds is just ridiculous at heart and defies EVERY principle of this game being realistic :( 

Now, as we learnend, you have good relations to @admin, for the sake of us all and the welfare of NA, you should do your best to convince him about the completly wrong direction the game has taken with the Gusts are implimented now...good luck, Mate :) 

Edited by Sir Max Magic
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sir Max Magic said:

Now, as we learnend, you have good relations to @admin, for the sake of us all and the welfare of NA, you should do your best to convince him about the completly wrong direction the game has taken with the Gusts are implimented now...good luck, Mate :) 

I honestly don't know where you got this idea from mate. I'm just another player lol
I have no connection or ties to the dev team 

Edited by koltes

6 minutes ago, Je maintiendrai said:

Pirfrigate could've outturned (Rattvisans and bigger ships that are speedboosted have a turning circle of a frigging Truck) you easily and you would have had a shit tag, he would have been able to escape and your windboost is gone ;)

Yeah, I was in a Herc when I got chased by a wind boost Belle.  I defensive tagged him and we entered instance at distance.  Easily evaded him and exited.  Once out, I sailed away and he went and caught the boost.  Came at me again at 50 knots and this time I turned into him for 3 failed tags before he gave up and motored away.  It's manageable. 

• Like 3

Just now, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah, I was in a Herc when I got chased by a wind boost Belle.  I defensive tagged him and we entered instance at distance.  Easily evaded him and exited.  Once out, I sailed away and he went and caught the boost.  Came at me again at 50 knots and this time I turned into him for 3 failed tags before he gave up and motored away.  It's manageable. 

Everyone just needs to find a way to deal with the speedboosts. In my opinion its a good addition.

@Sea Archer @Sir Max Magic @admin

Guys I do understand the logic, as I purposed much earlier like many players, even months ago, we all want WIND CURRENTS, where only the players in them have the speed, a preset road even with curves, when you get out you lose the speed. ( No problem with tagging, no to jetpack boosted sailing around)

But what we have is different, if I know the admin, it will not change into another thing than what we have... So I purpose at least you lose the speed bonus when you make a turn, easy and basic fix, will solve most problems, no need to change the current mechanic, little tweak. So you will be riding your preset gust, not sailing around with afterburner on.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, koltes said:

I honestly don't know where you got this idea from mate. I'm just another player lol
I have no connection or ties to the dev team 

...so our last hope is gone... :( 

7 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

@koltes You can also ask him what happened to the promised change to the port BR that was planned for this update.

What the heck lol? What got into you all? Why all of a sudden I'm the messenger boy? What have I done?? 😏

These wind gusts get you around the map faster, and get people interacting on the map more quickly. They let you get where you wanna go with less ball ache if you are prepared to sit at the PC and go from gust to gust. They have some basis in reality but it is a game still of course.

You can use the gusts to close in quickly on enemy ships yes, but a lot of this Bellonas catching Snows stuff should not happen if you are paying attention. It doesn't matter how fast someone is in the open world, they still have to get a really good tag and/or be faster in the instance. If you just defensive tag and/or turn at the last second to get upwind, you will still be able to disengage (this is a skill that you should learn if you havn't already). The probability of something else happening is higher of course, a faster ship could join and catch you or a friendly Bellona can come in and you can turn on your attacker = more PvP.  I personally like the idea that just because you are in a fast ship you are not 100% safe from being tagged and this from a player who plays solo 90% of the time.

I don't understand why this has caused 'crushing the clan's morale', there have been far worse patches than this! (don't get me started). This is one of the better ones imo.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

@koltes You can also ask him what happened to the promised change to the port BR that was planned for this update.

Actually done. Have you not seem them? 

Remedios BR = 18000 ¡¡Boom!! Hard work isn't it? 

It seems like admin thinks that problems are solved with this... 

Edited by zaba