Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion: AI behavior change for torpedo-heavy vessels.

VladimirYe

Have been replaying those missions that relies heavily on the use of torpedoes. Noticed one thing. If you hand over the control of your fleet to AI or group sevral ships up as a flotilla it usually works pretty decent for gunnery-focused warships in regards of maneuver and positioning, I'll give it that. That's much less the case for torpedo-focus warship types though, such as TB, DD or CL. They still try to behave as a gunship and rush to the face of the enemy regardless of their current torpedo tube reload status. Also they just sail in small circles near the enemy around themselves after dropping off their torpedo payload, which looks pretty stupid. 

Is it possible to have an adaptive AI system that, depending on the how important torpedoes are on the current ship type, uses different behavior and methods of approach against enemy fleet?

For example, when facing enemy capital ship in a flotilla, if total torpedo weight is above x% of the displacement, after dropping all torpedoes in one broadside, the flagships automatically turns back to the last place of the flotilla(like how flagship behaves after taking substantial damage), and when (control given to AI) all of the ships in the flotilla had their (single broadside) torpedoes dropped, the entire flotilla tries to disengage, wait for torpedo reload, then reengage in the same manner.

In my opinion this is a more reasonable manner of behavior for those screen ships which feature torpedo as their main armament. 

I like your suggestion stion but I'd also like to have a few preset AI combat styles that you choose for your designed ship (one or several with priority settings) . For example you might have a DD that is a gunship with torpedoes, so you have it prioritize guns but if close enough to the enemy, would conduct a torpedo attack. This could also allow for a BB to be set as long range artillery or short range brawler.

AI should choose which settings to use depending on what armament you have on a ship. Like all guns DD is a gunship and mostly torpedoes would be torpedo setting and perhaps if it has balanced torpedo/gun ratio it would take both behaviours.