Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum
Thonys

knowledge slots grind.

Recommended Posts

@admin @Ink

after many months i realized that the grind for knowledge slots for the indiaman and the mortar brig and le gros ventre, trader brig....stays behind in  comparison with other ships.(those ships can almost not fight other ships in pvp and therefore lack xp for their knowledge slots grind and pve missions are almost impossible in time comparison. 

its also a little pain in the ash in dutch waters...

can the developers  make some content for those particular ships in dutch waters .

at some point i almost push the red square with the white cross.... if i look at the result for doing such missions or content or grind for those ships.(there are no good missions for those ships)

it's not FUN and a reason to quit.(going after, pickles,brig, and cutters >> is 20 xp)

if the admin want that ,,,sure go ahead (but tell us....i can make a decision to quit and play tetris .)

if the developer s don't want that....  please do something about it. (it's lame)

if there are more areas where there is a problem for some  particular ships please respond

 

thank you for your time and read.


 

 

Edited by Thonys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Thonys said:

after many months i realized that the grind for knowledge slots for the indiaman and the mortar brig and le gros ventre, trader brig....stays behind in  comparison with other ships.(those ships can almost not fight other ships in pvp and therefore lack xp for their knowledge slots grind and pve missions are almost impossible in time comparison. 

Try to do Kill missions, FX: 5th rate ones with boarding fitted Indiaman. I did just 2 such missions (7th rate) with my TLynx and got 2 slots opened.

Though still the problem to grind knowledge for traders with fighting only remains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Malcolm3 said:

Try to do Kill missions, FX: 5th rate ones with boarding fitted Indiaman. I did just 2 such missions (7th rate) with my TLynx and got 2 slots opened.

Though still the problem to grind knowledge for traders with fighting only remains.

? (5 rate where to find ? - fighting a 4 rate with a le gros = great sinking )

when boarding fitted it means you have slots opened 

and that's the problem.

if you do it in our waters(opening slots i takes you 350 battles = about 400  hours for 0ne ship)

 

Edited by Thonys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

The entire system for grinding slots for every ship is only a time sink that doesnt add anything to the game.

Slots should be opened by rates and not individual ships. So if you grind a Bucentaure you open slots also in Pavel and Christian.

well it is funny that if you have studding sails or stay sails in your stocked room ....there is a idiot who prevent you,  to put it on your ship....  i would say execute him by hanging.

its strange we all accept this as a common thing to grind in the first place if you have the stuff in your warehouse or library. 

I'm a bit done with it. (its war thunder, wows, and wot ,  armored warfare all over....its typical...and not distinctive from other games )

(EVE does not have slot restrictions only cpu;  in our case it should be only manpower/ officers academy for example)

Edited by Thonys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Saryk said:

Nah I like Ship knowledge per ship, but I think traders could earn ship XP from traveling. Either that or rig them for boarding and board to gain XP, but it's tedious.

You think traders are a pain to gain knowledge in, try a mortar brig. They are the lowest in damage output of all the light ships except the lynx. A trader brig with medium guns actually has more firepower than a MB with medium guns. :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 4:56 AM, Thonys said:

...

(EVE does not have slot restrictions only cpu;  in our case it should be only manpower/ officers academy for example)

Maybe, instead of the knowledge slots, there could be officer slots that give bonuses, and you have to earn officers through meaningful accomplishments.

For instance, to get a gunnery officer, you have to beat an elite AI by sinking with 100% accuracy for each class of ship. Maybe, to get a staysails bonus, you have to board an enemy using nothing but staysails for each class. And so forth.

Kind of like the tutorials. Maybe just add a few tutorial missions with those kind of requirements as you advance in rank.

I don't know. Seems like that might be more "fun" than just grinding out XP.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Saryk said:

That would only keep widening the gap between good and bad players, which is not the idea I'd like to go towards for player retention. 

I like ship knowledge for the RP element behind it : your gunnery officer might have to learn how a certain ship behaves, i.e. how much she heels, how many people can go around carrying shots and powder, etc... to optimize his job on that ship : ship knowledge.

That's fine, too.

What I was thinking was more along the lines of completely certain tasks, which would also teach game mechanics that you're otherwise stuck learning by trial and error.

For instance, for a gunnery officer, the requirements could be something like AB% accuracy, C% of crew killed through stern taking, and D% of enemy shots deflected through proper positioning.

Those are all things you don't really know about just starting the game, and you don't really learn the importance of tactics like hull deflections until you either randomly see it in battle or someone happens to mention it.

Something along those lines might be a fun way to introduce you to game mechanics, and also be a quasi-realitic way of getting ships officers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Never said:

Mortar Brig needs a big damage buff too. 

it will never happen, too many players complained that the ability for the mortar brig to take out a tower in a port battle was too easy and the towers were worth too many points, so they nerfed the crap out of the MB (granted they could have accomplished the same with just lowering the point value on the towers)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well they did increase the damage from 698 to 896 (by 30%) but they also changed the reload rate from 35 seconds to 65 as well as reduced the accuracy and removed the extra shots provided by the knowledge slot. So now you fire 2 shots every 65 seconds instead of 4 every 35. Add to that the fact that grinding knowledge slots on the ship is near impossible solo unless you go after lynx's (the only ship in the game that has a lower broadside damage value) and that every ship in the game smaller than a victory can catch you. Makes things a challenge huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Raekur said:

Well they did increase the damage from 698 to 896 (by 30%) but they also changed the reload rate from 35 seconds to 65 as well as reduced the accuracy and removed the extra shots provided by the knowledge slot. So now you fire 2 shots every 65 seconds instead of 4 every 35. Add to that the fact that grinding knowledge slots on the ship is near impossible solo unless you go after lynx's (the only ship in the game that has a lower broadside damage value) and that every ship in the game smaller than a victory can catch you. Makes things a challenge huh?

Not really, just have a friend hold a line ship in boarding while you sink it... opens up multiple slots at a time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Capitalism said:

Not really, just have a friend hold a line ship in boarding while you sink it... opens up multiple slots at a time.

While yes that works to a point provided your shots dont go wide and sink your friend. The issue i have is that no other ship in the game requires another person to be involved to gain knowledge slots. All this is due to a small group whining about losing towers in a port battle, an issue that could have been remedied simply by lowering the point value of the towers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 12:44 PM, Intrepido said:

The entire system for grinding slots for every ship is only a time sink that doesnt add anything to the game.

Slots should be opened by rates and not individual ships. So if you grind a Bucentaure you open slots also in Pavel and Christian.

i disagree with that, yes its a grind and how it is implemented isnt perfect, but its called "Ship Knowledge" for a reason, the more you sail and fight in your ship the more you know its limits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 12:35 PM, Malcolm3 said:

Try to do Kill missions, FX: 5th rate ones with boarding fitted Indiaman. I did just 2 such missions (7th rate) with my TLynx and got 2 slots opened.

Though still the problem to grind knowledge for traders with fighting only remains.

For the traders lynx, something simple: you go on open world equipped with longs. Find a Le Gros Ventre.

Chain rake the four broadsides, then rake and rake again, destroying guns until one side has bo more guns. Go to this side and sink. 

The five slots are unlocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...