Game-Labs Forum

Winning the BB vs TB mission is akin to winning the lottery.

KiloZulu

I have brought a BB to within 0.1 km of a TB (practically kissing bumpers,) and I don't think my chance to hit ever got beyond about 13%.  Of course, at that range, their torpedoes can't miss.  The best strategy I've come up with is to use a full compliment of 6" casemate guns to spam targets with as many hits as possible.  Essentially, I cannot see that there is any skill or strategy to be found in the mission.  It all comes down to playing the match repeatedly until I get some lucky dice rolls.  The amount of time wasted before I understood this fact has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

I decided to check this mission again.

screen_1920x1080_2019-10-19_22-16-37.thumb.png.c6bfffddae86d8ee1c444c3238b57ee1.pngI

It works fine honestly. Having many smaller guns is definitely a good way to deal with them, but getting up close is a serious death sentence.

Checking when the TBs have fired off their torpedoes and using that information to dodge is a life saver. Although I still ended up taking a hit here.

Just keep firing and stay moving, this mission is definitively not a simple roll of the dice!

9 hours ago, KiloZulu said:

I have brought a BB to within 0.1 km of a TB (practically kissing bumpers,) and I don't think my chance to hit ever got beyond about 13%.  Of course, at that range, their torpedoes can't miss.  The best strategy I've come up with is to use a full compliment of 6" casemate guns to spam targets with as many hits as possible.  Essentially, I cannot see that there is any skill or strategy to be found in the mission.  It all comes down to playing the match repeatedly until I get some lucky dice rolls.  The amount of time wasted before I understood this fact has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

It's kinda your fault if you get that close to them. Keep your distance at all cost.

@KiloZulu

Try following:

Max towers, single dual funnel, 21 knot speed, normal bulkheads.

2-9" dual turrets
6-5" casemates
5-2" casemates

Then do the following IN ORDER:
1.  Click the box on your speed scale, you should be going 17-18 knots.
2.  Force HE only
3.  Turn 90 degrees port

Try keeping 2500+m distance, I've kept 4k and they never shot a single torpedo.  Your 2" will do most of your work, just have to wait to get those 2 main gun hits to sink anything.

• Like 1

I've also had a terrible time with this mission, I mean I enjoy it but I've never managed to beat it. I typically build a stripped down proto fake battle cruiser, taking as little armor as possible, making the BB as fast as possible (lol turbines in a pre-dreadnought? Suure) and as nimble as I can. I get in close with a large battery of mixed small guns and... well, poke a lot of holes in torpedo boats. At least for me, they do not want to go down even when battered with HE. The best I can do on average is sink 2 and spank the third but it just won't slip beneath the waves.. 

Fun mission, but frustrating.  

2 hours ago, Fishyfish said:

I've also had a terrible time with this mission, I mean I enjoy it but I've never managed to beat it. I typically build a stripped down proto fake battle cruiser, taking as little armor as possible, making the BB as fast as possible (lol turbines in a pre-dreadnought? Suure) and as nimble as I can. I get in close with a large battery of mixed small guns and... well, poke a lot of holes in torpedo boats. At least for me, they do not want to go down even when battered with HE. The best I can do on average is sink 2 and spank the third but it just won't slip beneath the waves.. 

Fun mission, but frustrating.  

Yeah, that's been my evolved approach.  I stripped the armor down as much as possible, used single barrel 9" guns, all the casemates possible, boosted speed, maxed accuracy wherever possible.

6 hours ago, Niomedes said:

It's kinda your fault if you get that close to them. Keep your distance at all cost.

Getting close was done out of frustration.  It was to verify the insanity of the inaccuracy on display.  No matter the range, long, medium, short, point blank, the accuracy never reached a point where I could attain confidence that I could kill all three TB's.  For my part, I don't recall that I have ever sunk a single TB in the match.  I think the best I ever achieved was to reduce one to about 20% structure, but I also quit the match in disgust, as I think I only had about 5-10 minutes left at that point, and could clearly see that I was never going to sink the other 2 TB's at that rate.

In my early attempts at the match, I used larger turrets - expecting that their longer range accuracy and big punch would knock the TB's out while I stayed outside torpedo range.  Their poor accuracy and lack of turret traverse speed didn't work.  I began switching to smaller and smaller guns, hoping that boosting traverse speed would help.  It didn't, but instead just forced me to get ever closer to torpedo range.  Thus, I increased ship speed and mobility so that I could dodge the torpedoes.

I stand by my original statement.  Congratulations to those that have beaten the match - go buy a PowerBall ticket while your luck holds.

Alright I managed to do it and with about 6 minutes to spare. Funny, it was a spanish battleship vs american torpedo boats.. revenge for Manila?

Anyways, I stripped down some armor, threw on a full secondary of all 5 inch guns and gave her two single 11 inch guns as primary. I found these two guns to be the best mix of accuracy at mid and close range and decent reload speeds. 5 torpedo tubes to that did squat other than help balance her weight.. but anyways. HE at 2 to 3km range. Still took a torpedo hit when they got with in 1km but that's because I was distracted by discord.. and other excuses, but in the end managed to sink them and only take some damage. In fact, for propaganda purposes King Alfonso the XIII announces that despite the crushing defeat at manila and off of Cuba.. the uh, battleship Censeur didn't take any causalities at all, nope, none, none from a torpedo hit that flooded an engine room and set three other compartments on fire, no no only a few scuffs and bruises. And rather, that they managed to turn away the entire Great White Fleet! For real! 

• Like 1

I had a real hard time with this mission (I failed it 7 times)  The last time I stayed at half speed until they got under 2km and used HE.  I was in a constant turn away from them making the speed difference less noticeable.  Every once in a while I would do a hard turn or straight to mess up any incoming torps.  At the final range of 1 km I think I was hit by only 1 torp.

Some may not have noticed that it is possible to place additional guns on deck. I added six 5in guns on the aft deck and two on the bridge, plus a 4in near the aft tower. Just move your 9inch turret way back to make room for all the additions. 5in and 4 in guns in the casemats helped provide a rain of shells on the hapless TBs! 😉