Game-Labs Forum

Upcoming patch Alpha-2 v62

10 hours ago, Finwenolofinwe said:

Actually a near miss that got lucky, the longest range confirmed hit in naval gunnery would bee a tie between Scharnhorst and Warspite, each hitting at about 24 km (that's 26 thousand yards)

I hardly count "Making a giant crater in the bottom of the ship and crippling it" a 'near miss'.

A normal shell would not have damaged the White Plains. The Japanese "Diving Shell" however was capable of such a feat, ergo it counts as a hit.

Does an artillery shell which lands 4 feet from a car and blow it up not count as a 'hit'? I guess that 'near miss' blew up the car, right? *wink*

10 hours ago, RedParadize said:

Did not know that part thanks.

I trough the longest range hit belonged to Scharnhorst at 24km (and that's a 11" gun!). Regarding Iowa 16" being superior to Yamato 18". I saw it in a documentary long ago. It was mainly because of its shell profile but also because of superior gun control and radar range finder. Obviously this would be covered by tech level more accurately.

Anyways. I always have found these speculative documentary doubtful. I gladly can grant you that point. Still, my point remain the same: Caliber help accuracy, but not to the extent we see in this game.

Recent investigation using US and Japanese sources have found that Yamato scored a hit on White Plains (after getting very, very good straddles on her first and second salvo) at 34.5 thousand yards. The single longest range hit on a warship ever.

In contrast Iowa with her 'superior gun control and radar' managed much less impressive feats. Strange how that works...Almost...Propaganda tier levels of information... 9_9

As for Iowa's 16 inch guns, that was more related to her shells. 

America could spare excessively costly manufacturing processes and materials in their shells, additionally they were designed purely for above-water hits.

Japan was a much poorer nation with much worse materials and their shell design traded some above-water performance for the single best below-water performance of any shell used by any nation.

Despite all these shortcomings the 18 inch gun had more penetration in just about every single range which was realistic.

The accuracy of a gun (fire control excluded) has got to do with mostly shell quality of finish (Most nations were about equal, even Japan had 'high quality' finished shells, just not made from good materials and ergo not as good at penetration), powder reliability (also about even for everyone, maybe some exceptions like the Russians or Italians), and how worn the barrel is.

As ships ingame all have 'fresh' barrels and equalized powder/shells, the larger gun would therefore be the most accurate as long as its the same tech level.

• Like 2
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Admirals, We deeply thank you for all the support and feedback you are providing. We would like to inform you about our work for the next patch, which is scheduled to arrive next week. Firs

I used a huge cluster of triple 5 inch guns in the 'modern battleship' mission, and they killed absolutely zero destroyers, in fact the huge clumsy 18 inchers did a much better job at it.

Sorry but why is there a nerf for small guns? We want realistic rates of fire for both big and small guns, not a "rebalance", we don't want unrealistic balances in this game, I don't understand the ne

Posted Images

5 hours ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

I hardly count "Making a giant crater in the bottom of the ship and crippling it" a 'near miss'.

A normal shell would not have damaged the White Plains. The Japanese "Diving Shell" however was capable of such a feat, ergo it counts as a hit.

Does an artillery shell which lands 4 feet from a car and blow it up not count as a 'hit'? I guess that 'near miss' blew up the car, right? *wink*

Recent investigation using US and Japanese sources have found that Yamato scored a hit on White Plains (after getting very, very good straddles on her first and second salvo) at 34.5 thousand yards. The single longest range hit on a warship ever.

In contrast Iowa with her 'superior gun control and radar' managed much less impressive feats. Strange how that works...Almost...Propaganda tier levels of information... 9_9

As for Iowa's 16 inch guns, that was more related to her shells. 

America could spare excessively costly manufacturing processes and materials in their shells, additionally they were designed purely for above-water hits.

Japan was a much poorer nation with much worse materials and their shell design traded some above-water performance for the single best below-water performance of any shell used by any nation.

Despite all these shortcomings the 18 inch gun had more penetration in just about every single range which was realistic.

The accuracy of a gun (fire control excluded) has got to do with mostly shell quality of finish (Most nations were about equal, even Japan had 'high quality' finished shells, just not made from good materials and ergo not as good at penetration), powder reliability (also about even for everyone, maybe some exceptions like the Russians or Italians), and how worn the barrel is.

As ships ingame all have 'fresh' barrels and equalized powder/shells, the larger gun would therefore be the most accurate as long as its the same tech level.

I never seen that before, can you share the source? 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Mhtsos said:

That's because it never happened. There is no evidence the Yamato scored a hit at that range and the damage caused to White Plains was from a shell that missed and exploded underwater causing minor damage to White Plains, therefore, not a hit anyway. 

The longest range hit was Giulio Cesare, delivered by Warpsite. 

Edited by SwaggyB
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, SwaggyB said:

That's because it never happened. There is no evidence the Yamato scored a hit at that range and the damage caused to White Plains was from a shell that missed and exploded underwater causing minor damage to White Plains, therefore, not a hit anyway. 

Yes, all the sources I have access to mention that the yamato had a lucky(?) near miss with minimal damage, but if the person above has more info (more updated?) then I will certainly want to see it. It may be that I only know outdated and/or bad info that rotates between publications, as many times happens in niche historical sources.

I know for the warspite one, as it is well documented from various sources.

• Like 1

I must say it's a bit weird to release a patch note one week in advance. Was it stuff done or to be done?

also, from my experience releasing a patch just before the weekend is a bad idea. There is always bugs that went unnoticed and all the community end up complaining all the weekend.

Edited by RedParadize
22 minutes ago, RedParadize said:

I must say it's a bit weird to release a patch note one week in advance. Was it stuff done or to be done?

also, from my experience releasing a patch just before the weekend is a bad idea. There is always bugs that went unnoticed and all the community end up complaining all the weekend.

I would agree with you if those were actual patch notes... Unfortunately those are just plans, and if it comes to test branch patch if the game becomes slightly unplayable during Alpha/Beta stage... who cares? that's what tests are for.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:34 PM, Nick Thomadis said:

Hello Admirals,

(...)

We will provide more information in our final patch notes.

Have a good weekend everybody, and enjoy the game!

The Game-Labs Team

PS: For those players anticipating problems in purchasing the game, we will soon offer alternative payment methods to suit their needs. 

Edited by Asthaven
6 hours ago, SwaggyB said:

"Knocking out basically all electrical systems and causing the ship to have a huge dent in the keel" is minor damage?

The shell detonated as though it was a keel busting torpedo, do said torpedoes lack the ability to 'hit'?

Don't be ridiculous with your anti-japan sentiment. 

Just because she has recently been proven to have the longest hit, doesn't mean Britain's acomplishments are any less significant.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Mhtsos said:

The World Wonder'd: What Really Happened Off Samar

By Robert Lundgren 

Apparently the AAR reports from the U.S and Japanese ships present as well as documentation all the way down to individual salvos paint quite a different picture then what is in our history.   As they say history is written by the victors. this guy puts together the information from both the U.S and Japan to get a full accounting of the battle.

1 hour ago, Joryl said:

The World Wonder'd: What Really Happened Off Samar

By Robert Lundgren 

Apparently the AAR reports from the U.S and Japanese ships present as well as documentation all the way down to individual salvos paint quite a different picture then what is in our history.   As they say history is written by the victors. this guy puts together the information from both the U.S and Japan to get a full accounting of the battle.

Eyup. He literally cross checks what both sides 'saw' and thus its the most accurate depiction of the battle so far.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Asthaven said:

Well they mentioned in other topic that sometime this week means 21 - 25 Oct so we should hear from dev team within next 24 hours what's going on...

Doesn't seem like a big patch either, just mostly balance changes and bug fixes.

Unless they have surprises of course.

2 hours ago, Cptbarney said:

Doesn't seem like a big patch either, just mostly balance changes and bug fixes.

Unless they have surprises of course.

Not to sound negative but Game-Labs generaly works with pretty small dev teams. Their other games updates took ages to come out aswell. Naval action for example died becasue the lack of patches during EA. So we have to be patient.

Edited by Wurstsalat

Definitely have faith in this team just have to look at their other 2 games ug Gettysburg amd civil war . Naval action devs not so much. Stopped really playing that when they started to screw pverers over

Edited by DarkTerren
2 hours ago, DarkTerren said:

Definitely have faith in this team just have to look at their other 2 games ug Gettysburg amd civil war . Naval action devs not so much. Stopped really playing that when they started to screw pverers over

Weren't the Naval Action devs particularly...Hmmm.

Naughty?

13 hours ago, ThatZenoGuy said:

"Knocking out basically all electrical systems and causing the ship to have a huge dent in the keel" is minor damage?

The shell detonated as though it was a keel busting torpedo, do said torpedoes lack the ability to 'hit'?

Don't be ridiculous with your anti-japan sentiment. 

Just because she has recently been proven to have the longest hit, doesn't mean Britain's acomplishments are any less significant.

The shell did not act as intended, threfore no, it wasn't a hit. And while damage to White Pains was considerable her combat ability was hardly impaired, so in that sense it can be seen as minor. Yamato or Nagato (? i think it was Nagato) would certainly have scored direct hits in one of their next salvoes and one proper hit would certainly have been enough to sink her, but observing the explosion and the smke from the damaged engineroom they switched target, so White Pains was probably actually saved by the incident.

Those are the facts as far as I know them, i dont think they diminish the acomplishment of even closely straddling a target at those ranges and if anything show the ridiculously bad luck the IJN had that day.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Finwenolofinwe said:

The shell did not act as intended, threfore no, it wasn't a hit. And while damage to White Pains was considerable her combat ability was hardly impaired, so in that sense it can be seen as minor. Yamato or Nagato (? i think it was Nagato) would certainly have scored direct hits in one of their next salvoes and one proper hit would certainly have been enough to sink her, but observing the explosion and the smke from the damaged engineroom they switched target, so White Pains was probably actually saved by the incident.

Those are the facts as far as I know them, i dont think they diminish the acomplishment of even closely straddling a target at those ranges and if anything show the ridiculously bad luck the IJN had that day.

In addition to the damage Yamato inflicted on White Plains, there was an 18 inch gouge on the side plates, likely from the shell actually impacting the ship at an angle before going underwater and detonating.

So.

She hit.

Quit it with the anti-japanese sentiment, its a little racist.

• Like 1