Game-Labs Forum

Do you think we will see the "ridiculous" hull designs?

Hallo Travelers!

So it is no mystery that there were some ship designs that were... a bit out there...

be it the H39+ or Tillman's, in terms of sheer size and firepower. or designs like the circular ships of Russia.

There was a lot of stuff in the heads of people which reality stop from happening.

Do you think the game will/should make it happen? 

A Tillman 4?

A H44?

What ever else someone could dig up?

3 hours ago, SiWi said:

Hallo Travelers!

So it is no mystery that there were some ship designs that were... a bit out there...

be it the H39+ or Tillman's, in terms of sheer size and firepower. or designs like the circular ships of Russia.

There was a lot of stuff in the heads of people which reality stop from happening.

Do you think the game will/should make it happen? 

A Tillman 4?

A H44?

What ever else someone could dig up?

Modern Battleship Naval Academy mission allows us to reach 66,600t to 92,000t displacement (Around H-42 displacement figure), while H-44 is 131,000t.
And it looks like that mission doesn't give us everything. Speaking of 19", and 20" guns.  Quad turrets.  And I'm assuming there might be a final larger hull after the one provided? (is there???)

So I am pretty sure we'll be seeing those that can be done.

The possibility of extreme ships is most Intriguing.

Creating experimental designs for use in an academy setting would have at least as fun, if not more fun, than having them in a campaign.  Perhaps an "arena" situation, where the player could assign the AI a ship or fleet to deliberately set up duels that never happened.  

It would be fun for me to have a "historical" situation, where things were realistic, and also a "what if" situation, where more extreme designs were possible. Super-Yamato ships can be fun, and attacking one 60,000 ton super-de-duper dreadnought with 60 one thousand ton destroyers would be a hoot.  

Of course, the idea of profound miss-matches was very real.  Like having a few PT boats wisk a big-wig leader out of danger to fight again.  

Normally, I like historical, realistic type simulations. But total fiction has its moments.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cairo1 said:

I read that Title, and i dont think of Huge silly project ships, I rather think of Less typical ship designs, ships i would like to see such as,

Chen Yuen

[ing]25.jpg[/img]

or Itskushima

6368a24a2d27367afc46a7efd96381b8.jpg

Oh yeeeees! I like these ships! I would love to see these in the game :)

I'd love to see some of the really doofy french pre deadnoughts like the Carnot or Massena. I don't know why but I just love the fancifully horrible design of their patch work fleet, with their waddly tumblehome hulls and hotel block super structures. 

carnot1.jpg

i58xiqs.jpg

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Fishyfish said:

I'd love to see some of the really doofy french pre deadnoughts like the Carnot or Massena. I don't know why but I just love the fancifully horrible design of their patch work fleet, with their waddly tumblehome hulls and hotel block super structures. 

carnot1.jpg

i58xiqs.jpg

Same as me :D I love those designs. It is steampunked lol. And in my opinion they are beautiful ships :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kinda hate to be the awful naysayer dude that ruins everyone's dreams but...

The tillman design was a paper only proposal, the so-called "maximum" battleship. It's purpose was to calculate the kind of displacement and performance (on paper) that ridiculously large and ridiculously heavily armed and armored ships could offer. It actually was kickstarted as a joke of sorts: Senator Tillman, chairman of the senate comittee of naval affairs was fed of the constant yearly petitions from the navy for even bigger, more expensive, more heavily armed and armored battleships. So half jokingly -depending on the version you heard/read, out of exasperation- he asked the navy to design the larger "practical" battleship they could, so everyone knew how much it costed, and so the comittee wouldn't have to hear from the navy every year with ever-growing budgetary themands. And the navy complied with the request. The result was "practical" on paper only - the US didn't have yards able to build ships that size, their draft was so deep that most ports woudn't be able to base them (Pearl Harbor, for instance), there was no drydock of the needed size to refit or repair it, it could not (obviously) go through the Panama Canal, it would've been absurdly expensive to upkeep, etc etc etc.

Not that it mattered because from the get go everyone knew that design wasn't going to be built, so they went all in without any consideration for practicality (be it of construction, or of actual use).

On the same vein, H-44...c'mon folks...even in fanfiction literature the germans are forced to detonate an H bomb in Norway in order to have somewhere to build and launch it. Same deal - Germany couldn't build ships that size because there were no yards that big (and the only ones Germany had were in ports far too shallow for a ship like that to even be launched), obviously no drydock of a size like that was available nor port of enough depth to accomodate it. Needless to say the ship wouldn't be able to transit the Kiel Canal (which was pretty much a sine-qua-non for german warships). As for operating it...even from a nuclear blasted norwegian fjord large enough to accomodate it it wouldn't be possible - a ship that size would drink fuel like mad, fuel Germany didn't have too much to begin with, nor any viable way to reliably send it to norway (one of the main reasons the surface fleet over there didn't move that much - they were starved of fuel, and compared with that monster, Tirpitz, herself a "thirsty" ship would've looked ascetic). 

Bottom point: H-44 wasn't intended to be built either. It was a design done by the kriegsmarine mostly to keep designers busy, and I guess, too, to show to the high command how creative and important they were in their current posts rather than with a Kar98k on the eastern front.

As I said, I hate to be the naysayer, but I'd rather not see those things in game. Or rather, make them as suitable to be built as the historical ones were. Unbelievably expensive, demanding outrageous investments on infrastructure (port dredging, building piers the proper size, building yards able to build them, paying for new drydocks able to accomodate them, etc), demanding an inordinate ammount of time to get built, and end up being outwordly expensive to run, operate and upkeep...ah and let's not forget...quite prone to run aground in low draft area (such as half the north sea, for instance), and unable to transit canals.

So, make them as viable in game as they'd been in real life. Why not. But then nobody will build them. Or maybe someone will, just for the memes, but it'd be as impossible to operate as to build so good luck with the investment ;).

to end up on a less naysay-ish "non negative" thought...I do love french predreadnoughts too. Infamously bad designs almost without exception, but so outwordly ugly...that you can't help but love them. Kinda-sorta like the warship version of a bulldog - so ugly and clumsy that turns out to be adorable :).

Edited by RAMJB
  • Like 4