Game-Labs Forum

Modding weapon parameters V1.11 res 22986

UberJules

There is a thread called "Tentative Guide to Modding This Game" here. I've provided a link below. Following the guide on how to modify weapon parameters in that thread worked in previous versions. I was able to successfully modify the attributes of various weapons. As of V1.11 res 22986, modifying the assets file no longer has any effect. The changes show in the file, but the changes are not reflected in the game. If anyone knows how to fix this issue, please post here.

The reason I think this is an important issue is because the weapon stats - especially for small arms - are completely ahistoric and gamey. Just a couple of examples: The 1855/1859 Sharps carbines are exactly the same weapon as the Sharps Rifle except that the carbines had 20"-long barrels and the rifles had 30"-long barrels. But in every other aspect, they were the same weapons. Yet in-game, the carbines have significantly higher rates-of-fire, higher damage, different costs, and ridiculous, ahistoric differences in accuracy, despite the fact that in reality, all three weapons used the same .52 caliber paper cartridge, used exactly the same mechanisms for loading and firing and were renowned for their accuracy. Other examples include the wildly differing stats for various southern rifles which were all copies of the 1855 Springfield - or as the game calls them - Harper's Ferry rifles. If you care to have reasonable historical accuracy in the game, then modding weapon parameters is sadly necessary.

Edited by UberJules

Nothing has changed in recent patches regarding modding the assets file. Just to confirm, you're making your changes in Ultimate General Civil War\Ultimate General Civil War_Data\resources.assets?

There is also a more recent guide to making hex changes here: 

Edited by pandakraut
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Thonys said:

Just a question.

is this also possible for Naval action ?

If naval action is also using Unity then similar changes may be possible. It's very likely that the hex would look different though. As far as I know that game is multiplayer only so there are likely restrictions in place to either prevent these kind of modifications or detect players who are using them.