Game-Labs Forum

Further Reading - The Age of Sail

Captiva

There is a fantastic article over at 'Wargamer.com' titled, 'Further Reading - The Age of Sail'. I can attest to the one suggested movie title, 'The Admiral'. It revolves around Admiral Lieutenant Michiel de Ruyter.

I also own one of the two suggested "must have" books: 'Seamanship in the Age of Sail'. The other suggested "must have" have book is, 'Naval Warfare in the Age of Sail'. This one has been highly recommended by Naval Action players for many years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Captiva said:

There is a fantastic article over at 'Wargamer.com' titled, 'Further Reading - The Age of Sail'. I can attest to the one suggested movie title, 'The Admiral'. It revolves around Admiral Lieutenant Michiel de Ruyter.

I also own one of the two suggested "must have" books: 'Seamanship in the Age of Sail'. The other suggested "must have" have book is, 'Naval Warfare in the Age of Sail'. This one has been highly recommended by Naval Action players for many years.

Of course I can attest to "The Admiral" as well. 😎

When I began sailing on a square rigger the captain recommended Harland, almost as required reading! Excellent resource (Seamanship in the Age of Sail).

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

“LIFE IS TOO SHORT! I wanted to brighten it up as much as possible, and I shall never regret the decision which I took. Whereas had I acted differently, I would have nothing but regret.” These words were written by Rose de Freycinet, a woman from France, in her journal—and the “decision” was to disguise herself as a man in order to travel the world aboard the French corvette Uranie in 1817. Shipwreck, scandal, and homesickness stalked de Freycinet during her global tour, all documented in her journal, Mémoires, now kept in the State Library of New South Wales, in Sydney, Australia. Quote from The Adventurous Seafaring Women of the Age of Sail, in Their Own Words

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinMillen said:

“LIFE IS TOO SHORT! I wanted to brighten it up as much as possible, and I shall never regret the decision which I took. Whereas had I acted differently, I would have nothing but regret.” These words were written by Rose de Freycinet, a woman from France, in her journal—and the “decision” was to disguise herself as a man in order to travel the world aboard the French corvette Uranie in 1817. Shipwreck, scandal, and homesickness stalked de Freycinet during her global tour, all documented in her journal, Mémoires, now kept in the State Library of New South Wales, in Sydney, Australia. Quote from The Adventurous Seafaring Women of the Age of Sail, in Their Own Words

You can't mention Rose de Freycinet without mentioning Jeanne Baret (even though she didn't write anything iirc) 🙂

Edited by LeBoiteux