Game-Labs Forum

Nation Characteristics

NuclearNadal

What are some characteristics of campaign nations? 

For example: The British at Jutland had dangerously stacked Cordite outside the ships magazine. Will this have an in game effect? 

Another example: Austria-Hungary had lacklustre  torpedo protection for Teggethoff. Will this be seen in game?

I don't think the game will emulate design flaws, because you are designing the ships and I don't think that the AI is force to use historical set ups, so if you are the british you are not forced to take Cordite at all.

It could potentially have things like passive bonus for certain things or tech.

Germany could get an Armor research bonus

Japan torpedo research bonus 

ect.

Thou we will see what the Devs will do.

4 minutes ago, Lord Robert Calder said:

The developer has indicated that certain nations/shipyards will have characteristics imparted to all ships designed and built there.

Muh pre-dreadnought Fubukis and their boosted 24 inch torpedoes!

Muh pre-dreadnought Hippers with their over-engineered Krupp XVIII belts!

Muh Dreadnoughts stacked with enhanced cordite and super explosive Lyddite because there's nothing wrong with our ships today!

Muh Borodinos with a lack of trained crew and terrible stability... wait what?

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 10:54 PM, Shaun said:

Muh pre-dreadnought Fubukis and their boosted 24 inch torpedoes!

Muh pre-dreadnought Hippers with their over-engineered Krupp XVIII belts!

Muh Dreadnoughts stacked with enhanced cordite and super explosive Lyddite because there's nothing wrong with our ships today!

Muh Borodinos with a lack of trained crew and terrible stability... wait what?

Muh tumblehome ships (rolls 180 degrees)

Muh structurally sound japanese destroyers which dont loose their bows in bad weather

Muh oxygen torpedoes which are completely safe 

Muh 460mm anti aircraft shells which are totally practical and will save our battleships

Muh aircraft catapult on a destroyer

Muh totally reliable british 16 inch hoist system

Muh totally reliable french guns

Muh never built a battleship since 1911

Edited by Christian

6 minutes ago, Christian said:

Muh tumblehome ships (rolls 180 degrees)

Muh structurally sound japanese destroyers which dont loose their bows in bad weather

Muh oxygen torpedoes which are completely safe 

Muh 460mm anti aircraft shells which are totally practical and will save our battleships

Muh aircraft catapult on a destroyer

Muh totally reliable british 16 inch hoist system

Muh totally reliable french guns

Muh never built a battleship since 1911

MUh ZiPanG ClAsS UlTrA DreADnoUgHT !
OPNiZoO.jpg

Edited by Niomedes
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Maachlan said:

That thing would attract every torpedo fired in the same theatre of operation. Hopefully they would get their money's worth out of the torpedo bulge

It would break in half before that, since the structural integrity of the material built to use it doesn't suffice to withstand the effect gravity has on its own weighr at this scale.

• 6 months later...

Obviously, it is preferable that all fractions have different gameplay. I even considered the concept of gameplay diversity for Russia, Japan and the UK, but ... then I remembered that a dev team is three men army. And then realized that "Nation Characteristics" would be something like

latest?cb=20180604180106

just from the 1990s. Which is pretty bleak but...

88d5dae467934cc2518c35b2dce1e937cab993d8

Nations will most likely have their specific strengths when it comes to technological advance. Some nations will have cheaper technologies of certain kind, some will have access to them earlier and others will not have access to some at all. Eventually some nations might have specific economic perks like cheaper hulls, cheaper guns, cheaper upkeep or faster build time etc... In campaign it will make a huge difference while in custom battle you might not be able to see that.

It would be nice to see special political events for each nation. For example: While playing as Japan you would have to compete for influence with army or as Russia you would have to face mutinies because of bolsheviks. It would make playing as different nations totally unique.

Ideally I'd like it to be a selectable factor, say "national characteristics ON/OFF"

One version sees you play in a world where the results of tech development are what they are, with perhaps a minor random factor thrown in. There's no reason in this game that any nation ought to have any advantage in any particular respect other than their respective economies and territorial holdings, which of course DO have significant implications both for capacity to build and support a fleet and the required abilities of that fleet.

The other has the more 'baked in' historical factors that DID arise through this period of history.

For replayability alone, if nothing else, I'd like the option to have both settings to experience.

• Like 5

I would ideally want to see that nations start out with a certain advantage, but that everyone can still steer the nation as such that they will always become whatever the player wants them to be eventually.

I do not want to see flat bonuses or penalties that persist thoughout the entire campaign. Having a starting tech, shipyard size or other economical bonus is fine though.

Edited by Tycondero
  • Like 2