Game-Labs Forum

I wonder something about the Campaign

SiWi

Hallo Travelers!

I just recently stumble upon this game through Youtube and while my lack of a credit card stopped me from buying it, it looks amazingly like something I always wanted, beign a fan of naval comabt and strategy.

There is however 1 think I'm curious how it will work in the campaign:

you see if you play for example As Imperial Germany, you come across the problem that if the game starts lets say in the 1890's, you build ships for decades without ever going to use them.

If the event happen historically at least. Leading to the gamepaly problem that you are potentially frustrated because after decades of building ships you find out that your designs don't work as intended. While one can argue that it is the historical experience of every navy I don't think it is the fun part. Hence smaller conflicts could be useful to test ships. But given that there will be no "pirates" that everyone punches, I wonder how the game will go about it.

Now the blog does mention alternative history and special events where ones decisions can trigger wars. Thou if we take Germany again, I wonder if it can have smaller conflicts without having the WW1 pre started.

Can the "Panthersprung" (Agadir crisis 1911) lead to a germany French war that is limited or will pretty much everything trigger a major war between the major powers? 

Maybe a war with Sweden if you support Norwegian independence? Thou of all this is just before WW1...

Send ships to China during the Boxer rebellion? (doubtful they come there before British or French)

Maybe there will be a "test" mode to test at least the hitting chance against something like a drawn target or the ability to sink ones older ships to test weapon effects.

And that note: I hope the feature of "refit" will be considered. Instead of simple scrapping ships, one should have the chance to modernize them (to some extend).

So... what do you guys think? 

1 hour ago, SiWi said:

Hallo Travelers!

I just recently stumble upon this game through Youtube and while my lack of a credit card stopped me from buying it, it looks amazingly like something I always wanted, beign a fan of naval comabt and strategy.

There is however 1 think I'm curious how it will work in the campaign:

you see if you play for example As Imperial Germany, you come across the problem that if the game starts lets say in the 1890's, you build ships for decades without ever going to use them.

If the event happen historically at least. Leading to the gamepaly problem that you are potentially frustrated because after decades of building ships you find out that your designs don't work as intended. While one can argue that it is the historical experience of every navy I don't think it is the fun part. Hence smaller conflicts could be useful to test ships. But given that there will be no "pirates" that everyone punches, I wonder how the game will go about it.

Now the blog does mention alternative history and special events where ones decisions can trigger wars. Thou if we take Germany again, I wonder if it can have smaller conflicts without having the WW1 pre started.

Can the "Panthersprung" (Agadir crisis 1911) lead to a germany French war that is limited or will pretty much everything trigger a major war between the major powers? 

Maybe a war with Sweden if you support Norwegian independence? Thou of all this is just before WW1...

Send ships to China during the Boxer rebellion? (doubtful they come there before British or French)

Maybe there will be a "test" mode to test at least the hitting chance against something like a drawn target or the ability to sink ones older ships to test weapon effects.

And that note: I hope the feature of "refit" will be considered. Instead of simple scrapping ships, one should have the chance to modernize them (to some extend).

So... what do you guys think? 

You could just go to war with the Ottomans or any South American nation to test your designs. Aside of that, a custom battle Editor will become part of the game during the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Niomedes

55 minutes ago, Niomedes said:

You could just go to war with the Ottomans or any South American nation to test your designs. Aside of that, a custom battle Editor will become part of the game during the next couple of weeks.

really? because the blog made it sound like that you are only in control of the navy not army or politics and hence can't declear whenever you like.

Well in reality yes but most games are a bit more bureaucratic in that regard...

Teleport your troops out of enemy land if you declare war and such...

Still I would think that your government would be kinda iffy about you simply shooting at other nations ships because you need practice...

Ask the 2nd pacific Squadron. They almost manage to cause a war between Russian and anyone else who had fisher or merchant ships..

it will likely take a RTW approach, you are the head of the navy and  deal with R&D, Procurement, and Basing of ships. Occasionally an event will fire that gives you the option to potentially increase tensions with 1 or more nations, they reach a certain threshold, BOOM the war is on! This gives you the ability to play into the political side of being the head of a navy, whilst still getting to blow shit up.