Game-Labs Forum

Destroy a Full Fleet Scenario

VarangianGarde

On 10/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, Niomedes said:

I tried the same battle a few times again, and turns out you can actually even win it with only three Battleships. The hostiles never spawn with anything above of 379mm (at least they have never done that in my playtroughs), which means that getting even just 300mm Belt and 100mm Dekc with Harvey steel will suffice to make your ships nigh invulnerable in long range fighting. Furthermore, you should get 406mm's at least, with Heavy Shells. Those will shred anything. Also, you need to use HE instead of AP.

And the ship in the picture is the type I used when I did my run with only 3 ships.

Super October.png

On 10/11/2019 at 3:11 AM, Niomedes said:

I placed the secondaries indipendantly of hard points, this is just one of the standard dreadbought hulls, the IV I think. The mission is designed in such a way that you're always going to be spotted before you spot them if you go with battleships. As such, you best option is to drive straight at the origin of the shots and hope that you're not getting killed before you get there. A speed of 25 knots minimum is required to get into range fast enough to achieve that. That's why I used two large funnels, oil and induced boilers. You should always go with 100% funnel capacity if you can, but it's especially crucial here to prevent your ships from becoming sitting ducks.

@NiomedesVery cool. Did you choose long range and compromise on bulkheads? I can't get the cost down to 3 BBs, though I can whip up a decent 2 BB arrangement. In my experience, I've even seen 18" shells coming at me. I usually put that down to "unwinnable" and reload.

Edit: I did, but with major compromises.

image.thumb.png.6a077184eae57fad366aa3673167a930.png

Edited by VarangianGarde

13 minutes ago, VarangianGarde said:

Very cool. Did you choose long range and compromise on bulkheads. I can't get the cost down to 3 BBs, though I can whip up a decent 2 BB arrangement. In my experience, I've even seen 18" shells coming at me. I usually put that down to "unwinnable" and reload.

Yes. Bulkheads are for noobs

Just completed the mission. Important PSA: heavy shells are heavy effing metal

@Niomedes pairing the armor vs the expected enemy caliber is something I already knew and did, but sacrificing bits of overall defense for one extra BB was critical. That being said... DAMN SON, them heavy shells are basically a delete button! Ok, I did go with 17''s instead of 15''s or 16''s, but I previously tried 18'' and they'd regularly semi-pen with normal shells. I'm going to double down on this method, gonna try these Big Irons on my remaining uncompleted missions.

m20_heavyshells.png

Edited by JohnVicres

9 hours ago, Shaun said:

Oh 🙁

For what it's worth, I enjoy playing as if I were responsible for all the crew on the ships. Even if it has no victory condition value, getting a smashed up ship out of a bad situation is satisfying and adds an extra dimension to the game. Use destroyers to lay down smoke screens for stricken allies, lay down torpedo spreads, draw fire. It's actually a damn good feeling and properly emulates what a good commander should be doing.

By the by, check out Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, if you want inspiration for getting invested in your fleet. Fantastic read.