Game-Labs Forum

My first impressions and what I'd like to see

Shaun

Ahoy Admirals!

This is my first post; it's nice to meet you all. I've had the alpha three days now after seeing YouTube videos. Previously I play games like World of Warships, From the Depths and Kerbal Space Program. The first day was daunting with so much information on screen. I, possibly like many of us struggled at first, thus tried fitting as many guns as possible to ships. I know now how wrong I was to do this; they can't bloody hit anything if the weight offset is terrible and I use triple barrel turrets!

Overall, I love the visuals so far, but no matter which settings I choose, I get crashes all the time. Windowed mode seems to fix this, but is limited by resolution, which brings me to my first two suggestion:

1. Borderless mode, or windowed mode with 1920x1080 support.
  2. More settings in game to allow toggling various visuals to see which ones lead to crashes the most. This may aid bug-fixing development somewhat.

Now for game features:

1. I'm not too keen on the node system, especially for super structures as it seems very limiting, causes issues with offset and so on. If the likes of superstructures, funnels and centre-line turrets need to be centre, perhaps just force them to snap to the centre-line and the player can drag to any position they want. If funnels need to be near the middle of the ship where boilers are located, perhaps limiting the area players can move funnels along this center-line would be better than being limited to nodes.
  2. Are we likely to see hulls that slightly predate the pre-dreadnought era? For example: Admiral Class, Victoria class, Trafalgar class, and Royal Sovereign class?
  3. Linked to the above, how about open barbettes as seen on the Admiral and Royal Sovereign classes? They could possible improve traverse, weight less but have little protection, be more accurate on calm sees but less accurate on rough seas due to wash.
  4. Will we likely see ram bows implemented?
  5. Could we see an additional accuracy bonus for single-gun turrets? As of right now they don't offer a bonus against twin turrets; the faster reload speed is offset by lack of a second gun. The twin turrets are blessed with this bonus above the triple turrets.

That's all I have for now. I haven't submitted any crash reports yet, but I shall when I have the time to play. Again, it's nice to meet you all.

Shaun

15 minutes ago, Shaun said:

1. Could we see an additional accuracy bonus for single-gun turrets? As of right now they don't offer a bonus against twin turrets; the faster reload speed is offset by lack of a second gun. The twin turrets are blessed with this bonus above the triple turrets.

i dont really see the reason why single turrets should have improved accuracy ?

realistically speaking they were worse than twin turrets in the accuracy department

you would need 3 single turrets or 1 twin and 1 single turret to be able to make a group 

not being able to make a group significantly decreases the accuracy of guns as you cant properly adjust your aim as you dont know where the center of your group would be

they already have a grouping modifier i believe (in the negative) which make sense which only gets removed if you have atleast 3 barrels of the same caliber

example if you have a single twin 12 inch gun it cant make a group you need atleast 2 twin guns 

if you have 1x2 and 2x3 loadouts the 1x2 gun dramatically looses accuracy compared to the others as when it fires it cant make a group 

you need a minimum of 3 shells to make a group this is why twin guns salvo fire and individual turrets will hold fire until atleast 2 turrets can fire at once 

Edited by Christian
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 8:06 PM, Shaun said:

Are we likely to see hulls that slightly predate the pre-dreadnought era? For example: Admiral Class, Victoria class, Trafalgar class, and Royal Sovereign class?

I love the Victoria class! I realy hope that we will see her in the game. 

I also like the french pre dreadnought designes.

On 10/12/2019 at 9:06 PM, Shaun said:

I'm not too keen on the node system, especially for super structures as it seems very limiting, causes issues with offset and so on. If the likes of superstructures, funnels and centre-line turrets need to be centre, perhaps just force them to snap to the centre-line and the player can drag to any position they want. If funnels need to be near the middle of the ship where boilers are located, perhaps limiting the area players can move funnels along this center-line would be better than being limited to nodes.

We will allow further flexibility on placing ship assets in the future patches.

Are we likely to see hulls that slightly predate the pre-dreadnought era? For example: Admiral Class, Victoria class, Trafalgar class, and Royal Sovereign class?

Yes, we will see some, for example the Chinese Ironclad Dingyuan.

Linked to the above, how about open barbettes as seen on the Admiral and Royal Sovereign classes? They could possible improve traverse, weight less but have little protection, be more accurate on calm sees but less accurate on rough seas due to wash.

We are going to improve further the barbette system, but unlikely to offer open barbettes, as it was a limited feature, almost not existent for the era we cover.

Will we likely see ram bows implemented?

We will offer ramming functionality, maybe some hulls will get extra power when ramming, due to their ramming bow.

Could we see an additional accuracy bonus for single-gun turrets? As of right now they don't offer a bonus against twin turrets; the faster reload speed is offset by lack of a second gun. The twin turrets are blessed with this bonus above the triple turrets.

Already, single guns have an accuracy bonus, not only a reload. These advantages perish overtime according to late technologies.

• Like 3