Game-Labs Forum

Winning with wipes

11 hours ago, admin said:

That's a feature on the War Server.

I'm sorry what?

Soo I choose a nation and risk of losing pretty much everything in game( I still remember the time when Swe only had Gustavia). And then I can't change nation unless I pay real money. 

And you don't see an actual problem with your lacking gamedesign? But decide to call it a hello kittying feature?

Cool

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ponk said:

I'm sorry what?

Soo I choose a nation and risk of losing pretty much everything in game( I still remember the time when Swe only had Gustavia). And then I can't change nation unless I pay real money. 

And you don't see an actual problem with your lacking gamedesign? But decide to call it a hello kittying feature?

Cool

You can actually change nation without paying any money. Just delete your character and remake a new one.

A better idea would be to delete port bonuses so the loss of "all ports" isn't preceieved by the players as utter devastation.

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Ponk said:

I'm sorry what?

Yes. Players choose the war server. Game has not forced anyone to go to the War server.
War server is to wage war and destroy enemies, run them before you and hear lamentations of their women in chat. 

But you cannot destroy capitals or free towns. So you CANNOT lose "pretty much everything", even if you lose the port you do not lose anything - your personal assets are not destroyed, your warehouses are not emptied, you can move all out in trading ships.

ps It does not happen in other hardcore games. in EVE online you lose all assets and all industry when you lose your clan station. We considered this option some time ago but decided that players have enough stress elsewhere. Your ships are not going to be lost. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ponk said:

And then I can't change nation unless I pay real money. 

I thought that anyone can change nation anytime they want to.  Did we remove the option to delete our own character and restart as a different nation?  It allows everyone a personal option to have a "wipe" without imposing it on other players who don't like "wipes'. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

I thought that anyone can change nation anytime they want to.  Did we remove the option to delete our own character and restart as a different nation?  It allows everyone a personal option to have a "wipe" without imposing it on other players who don't like "wipes'. 

Yes you can still do this, and if  you did the tutorial you actually come in at that rank if I'm correct.

9 hours ago, admin said:

Yes. Players choose the war server. Game has not forced anyone to go to the War server.
War server is to wage war and destroy enemies, run them before you and hear lamentations of their women in chat. 

Noone forced me to join a war server, noone forces me to join a peace server.
What I have is two options, one with extreme rivalry gameplay interactions with real people, one without.
two options, two extremes. Nothing in between.

Neither choice is pretty attractive for the type of player I am, so I have to chose the one that gives me the most options of finding worth in this game, war server. But this server is extreamly unbalanced.

Would it be so horrible for your "hardcore" game to give a proper option of content for they type of player that is not hardcore, but still not a pacifist?

Merge the servers, turn neutral faction into a real neutral faction that can't be attacked by players, for instance a west indies trading company faction, let people there sail with the national flag of thier choice, pretty much all nations in game had a west india company, not that weird to just write WIC on national flags.

No reason for a nation to wage war on a private company, for pirates they could see them as smugglars or whatever.

Change name of freetowns to WIC towns or whatever open to all, let the future AI port raids attack these town aswell without the ability to flip them but giving content for people who want to see large battles, with rewards to be won, and some slight asset loss if the AI is successfull or something. 

Lets these player be eligable to join pvp zones to have a choice to pvp, let them have access to every port ingame like on the peace server. 
Give trading bonuses for this company to trade in nations that are lacking resources and players.

Let people who like extreme rvr enjoy that that, let people who don't enjoy the extremes not having to make a choice like that. 

And you say that people have bought this game based on being able to play for a certain nation, sure thats one of the reason I play this, to play for Sweden, but we are not that many people living in Sweden, so obviously my type of player can't have any chance at all to compete in this games design, unless it attracts alot of another type of player( the ones that like being underdogs), but that type of player will always be fewer than the typ of player wanting to join the winning side, I don't want to change nation, so why have game desgin that forces players in order to have any chance in hell to enjoy the game to it's fullest potential, but I would have no problem playing for a Swedish west india company.

13 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

@ponk

Neutral nation would be biggest nation because of alts. All transports would be done under neutral flag, all PVE and Money making ... all ship crafting (because i cant loose my shipyard as aneutral alt) ...

and that would be a real problem? because? whats the worst that could happen? more resources into the game? more ships? 

Resorces shouldnt be a concern in a game like this, it's the amount of players being able to use those resources. Real life time is the main resource in this game everything else is just a fantasy

Edited by Ponk
more

I could see a trans-national trading nation being feasible if it was completely non-combat. Although a possible exception would be consensual battles (but in a tradeship?).

1. Can only sail trade ships.

2. Can only craft trade ships.

In return, the trading nation would have freedom of all the waters of the Caribbean, and all the ports.

10 hours ago, admin said:

But you cannot destroy capitals or free towns. So you CANNOT lose "pretty much everything", even if you lose the port you do not lose anything - your personal assets are not destroyed, your warehouses are not emptied, you can move all out in trading ships.

false!

you will not lose the stuff or the ''things'' in your warehouse but you lose the ability to fight!

if you lose your invested port with full port bonus you cannot build anymore ships with port bonus, and a ship without port bonus is completely useless in Naval Action now. 

you can't compete with penetration ability of Port Bonus + Mods without Port Bonus, even if you have a Gold Ship; you can't compete with repair ability of port bonus + mods , or speed of port bonus + mods EVEN if you have art of ship handling but no port bonus.

so yes, if you lose your crafting port bonus port you lose everything in this game and you cannot play anymore.

you can solve this problem removing all Port Bonus or giving Capitals a standard amount of 40 port bonus points to use (that means all capitals can produce ships with Liv3 in all port bonus...) not creating a NA2 where you don't understand the mistakes you did for palyer base.

the actual mechanics are good ONLY , and i say ONLY, if you will wipe the map periodically or when a nation wins over the others. if no wipe, you will lose all the players before you start thinking at NA2.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ponk said:

and that would be a real problem? because? whats the worst that could happen? more resources into the game? more ships? 

More ships ? That will just create some strange ghost-ships, worse than AI-Ships regarding content, because nobody can attack them .... and this on cost of the now attackable ships like Traders and pve-ers ...

22 minutes ago, Earl of Grey said:

More ships ? That will just create some strange ghost-ships, worse than AI-Ships regarding content, because nobody can attack them .... and this on cost of the now attackable ships like Traders and pve-ers ...

Really? So your thought is that everone playing in this game would buy a second gamecopy to roll an alt into a neural nation, so much that it would affect the open world? that's a pretty narrow thought. 

As you said before you are affraid it would affect some sort of economy in game, with not riskying to loose a crafting port, so what, is that why people do pb's? To deny an enemy nations abilites in some sense, sure people are generally bullies, joining winning sides etc to get a sense of power , or are more people actually wanting large battles to fight grand battles.

Whats the problem with having more crafted ships created in game if thats one of your major concerns, you can still only play one ship at the time.

And why do you think a neutral faction would be the largest? Would you change? Your playing brits soo I highly doubt it, would all of the russian zerg that have joined the winning side change to a neutral faction, highly doubt it. People who like pvp like pvp, people who like to gank they gank

Edited by Ponk

26 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

No, please no wipes.  
There is no way in hell any of us will grind for ports again.   Period. 
ALLIANCES  are all that can save NA.  

i agree, it will be a pain in the ass...but how alliances can save NA if Russian going to cap all crafting port of all nations before alliances will be introduced?

My 2 cents:

Alliances won't work anyway. I cant see nations coordinating effectively when they are in different map locations, have different incentives and priorities and a different flag. There's nothing to stop alliances anyway with multi-flipping and screening and no reason to believe it will correct imbalances - unless you can collate players numbers, average player skill and activity level, it is just as likely to make it worse.

Seasons is a better idea. Make buildings much cheaper so less grind and start again every few months or until a nation completes an objective (eg hold 100 ports). Don't reset map to neutral but have ports pre-owned as before so none of the initial port grind which was just painful. It could be different each time even. You can keep all your xp if you want to, or you can opt for complete xp wipe and get a veteran star and change nation and if you have Forger then you can change AND keep xp (so no complaints for having purchased the DLC) . People prefer a challenge and I think there are many clans that would consider leaving a Zerg so as to balance things out, but atm it's just not possible. I also think that making assets temporary for a season only, might mean less hoarding and players a bit more willing to risk ships for a good fight - then you are only grinding for what you need to fund your war effort for that period, not accumulating and storing vast wealth, equals more time for RvR/PvP.