Game-Labs Forum
kapteinsnabeltann

Alt issue, i am the only one?

Posted (edited)

First of all, I want to apologize for my poor English, it's been a while since college.

is it just me who thinks using multiple accounts is ruining this game?

There are several high-ranking players using this. there is clearly nothing to be ashamed of. In these difficult times, I think this has become a big problem.

New players are struggling to get to a respectable level. while a large proportion of experienced players have more accounts in other nations and have better access to resources.

Is it just me who thinks this could be one of the main reasons the game dies?

Can admin do something about this? will they do something about it? is it ok to play that way?

Edited by Hethwill
normal font size
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, kapteinsnabeltann said:

Can admin do something about this? will they do something about it? is it ok to play that way?

I can see what it could help to have multiple accounts.... but

What are your latest experiences with Alts? how do i know there are Alts?? i am a noob so i dont know

Is it about this spy thing? hm well then it could be ok, for a Clan which does it the Pro way it would make sens for RvR actions i guess...

In my eyes to much afford to have Multi Accs

Are there really that many? My lifetime is not enough to play with a single Acc...

To do so you need, what 2 or more steam accs? 2 or more gamecopies... 2 or more PCs (for simultan play) maybe with VM...

If your willing to spend all this extra cost and time... then go for it!

It could be simple to stop mutli accs, by IP ban and UID Ban of PlayerID and and, would be some minor drawbacks (buddys play in LAN get baned...)

Posted (edited)

There is nothing to be done about alternate accounts. The best you can hope for is that your game mechanics promote people playing on one account as much as possible, and to less extend, dissuade the use of auxiliary accounts. I don't agree at all with it and that's why I've never used an alt. I think it's incredibly unfair play and the cause of much toxicity on the War server, whether it be suspicious of spies, the accusation or persecution of new players suspected to be alts/spies, or the known alt who has free reign to troll on the nation they occupy without ANY repercussions, whether through game mechanic or adminstrative action. It's a grey area and has been incredibly abused.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Slim McSauce said:

It's a grey area and has been incredibly abused.

It's not a grey area at all. Alts are simply encouraged, both by the game mechanics and by the payment model as implemented by the developers. And, while I agree that the game and economy would be far easier to balance if accounts were somehow limited to one per person, the reality is that there literally is no downside to running multiple characters. And as long as you don't admit openly to being an alt while playing, and avoid using them to grind with friends or muck with hostility, then alts are simply another feature to play with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slim McSauce said:

whether it be suspicious of spies, the accusation or persecution of new players suspected to be alts/spies,

Imagine if alts were banned and the Prolific Forger DLC actually had game consequences regarding Nation alliances. Also consider how a clan or nation member could be a true spy by using the Prolific Forger DLC to join and infiltrate the enemy for a period of time and thus forward information to his true nation of allegiance, while at the same time sacrificing his ability to participate in battles that aid that same nation of allegiance.

Alts diminish the integrity of this game. And if you don't believe it just contemplate Wraith's statement above...."as long as you don't admit openly to being an alt while playing".  Kinda like telling a burglar that he will not go to jail as long as he doesn't admit that the money he is spending came from the bank he just robbed.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Captiva said:

Imagine if alts were banned and the Prolific Forger DLC actually had game consequences regarding Nation alliances. Also consider how a clan or nation member could be a true spy by using the Prolific Forger DLC to join and infiltrate the enemy for a period of time and thus forward information to his true nation of allegiance, while at the same time sacrificing his ability to participate in battles that aid that same nation of allegiance.

Alts diminish the integrity of this game. And if you don't believe it just contemplate Wraith's statement above...."as long as you don't admit openly to being an alt while playing".  Kinda like telling a burglar that he will not go to jail as long as he doesn't admit that the money he is spending came from the bank he just robbed.

That is a comment aimed at the players reaction, not the developers. For over 3 years now the use of alts was not only acceptable by the admins but encouraged for the purpose of spying on an enemy nation. This argument towards the use of alts has come up more times than can be counted and every time it is dismissed because there is no and will be no mechanic to prevent them. If you try to banish multiple connections from one IP address in order to prevent alt usage, you will also banish households that have more than one user (of which I know several). This alone will prevent anything from being done because anything that prevents a player from joining the server without cause will cause a pretty nasty backlash (grounds for legal action being the least of the problems). This is not the first game I have played that has been affected by the use of alts, but the same reason for why they can not be prevented remains and over the years with advancements in technology it has become much easier to actually operate multiple accounts. But alts still have one weakness, one person can only operate one ship effectively at a time. If you manage to engage a players main and his alt at the same time it will become apparent instantly which account is actually active. That has been true for over a decade back when I played Freelancer in 2003. The only thing the devs could do would be to switch Enemy Player back to displaying the players name, then you would know if you are engaging both at the same time (once you discover which accounts are linked)

46 minutes ago, Raekur said:

one person can only operate one ship effectively at a time

Tell this to Lenin.... to anyone of them 😂

• Like 2

Actually, why are we locked to one captain per account (one character) with all that huge: Player Selection, logging screen?
Prime point of alt is self suficient economy, pop 10 buildings, mine what you need and craft with your main.

21 hours ago, kapteinsnabeltann said:

•  Sounds like;  "Quick, change the game to suit me, or everyone will leave!!"  

The game has had a few hundred players for years.  NA only has large populations for very short periods of time.  Just cause people say it is dying doesn't make it so.  Lots of us have lots of fun with a few hundred players online.  It looks like years from now the population will be similar to what it was years ago, and what it is now.  

21 hours ago, kapteinsnabeltann said:

New players are struggling to get to a respectable level. while a large proportion of experienced players have more accounts in other nations and have better access to resources.

Depends on new player's expectations.  If you want to have 30 ships, 10-20 million reals,  100 thousand doubloons, stockpiles of resources&repairs,  8 Outposts,  10 buildings, and a whole lot of friends to help you, it will only take a couple months playing casually WITHOUT an alt.  If a new player wants to lose big ships every night after playing for a only few days, or weeks, ...  this may not be the right game.

Allowing others to use alts doesn't affect me at all.  They are more prosperous than me, but I'm still having fun.  Their success doesn't wreck the game for me.

Edited by Macjimm
Speling

5 hours ago, Macjimm said:
  •  Sounds like;  "Quick, change the game to suit me, or everyone will leave!!"  

haha yeah maybe a little bit !

23 hours ago, kapteinsnabeltann said:

New players are struggling to get to a respectable level

What that exactly has to do with alts?

I think they are strugling, bec they are not in a meaningful clan with expirienced players. Get in a clan, learn from the best

more accounts in other nations and have better access to resources

what ressources are we speaking about? As far as i know, you need to be on clan friends list for ressources.

Game is hard, grindy, less for causal players.

4 minutes ago, Poryv said:

As far as i know, you need to be on clan friends list for ressources.

Not basic resources.  Coal, Iron, etc, anyone in the nation can farm.  Things like the Teak forest (investments) require you to be on a friends list.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mascarino said:

This image speaks more than thousand words. If is healthy for the game? Only future can tell.

What does that image have to do with Alts??  Alts are an important part of this game.  Not only does it add income to Devs, but it lessens the grind for the player base.  Frankly, it adds targets to the OW which would not be there if players had only a single account. 

On 10/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, Slim McSauce said:

"the accusation or persecution of new players suspected to be alts/spies"

So i am not the only one. This happened to me, i am 5 weeks into the game now. And its a killer. I can only hope the majority of players realizes how toxic this kind of ingame mobbing is.

Even more so considering how many real alt accounts/spies/saboteurs there are apparently. And people know it but don`t stop them because they benefit from it

On 10/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, Dread2005 said:

but how do i know there are Alts?? i am a noob so i dont know

- players sitting in front of ports for hours, 2 minutes after passing by you get attacked by a (russian) enemy player who straightforward moves to your position in OW

- 1-3 players wihout clan or in psudo clan inviting you to a battle group to fight intruders...then just sitting there watching you getting slaughtered, not saying anything

- players asking way too much and for too much details maybe..players logging on and off constantly maybe

Are there really that many? My lifetime is not enough to play with a single Acc...

- someone told me up to 1/3 players online are alts . I hope its exaggeration

next for the many good comments gents. 

but still, i think use of alt should be stopped and the persons who use it should walk the plank!

• Like 1

alts are like cancer, they are hard to look at and they are here to stay.

There is really two subjects here.  Use of Alts and Alt abuse.  Many players use alts and do nothing wrong with them.  There are indeed a few who find devious ways to poison the game through their use of Alts.  This is against game rules and is actionable.  Moot point regardless....Alts will not go away.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

There is really two subjects here.  Use of Alts and Alt abuse.  Many players use alts and do nothing wrong with them.  There are indeed a few who find devious ways to poison the game through their use of Alts.  This is against game rules and is actionable.  Moot point regardless....Alts will not go away.

Alts to gain economic advantage is abuse aswell basically. You could also consider it pay2win.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Alts to gain economic advantage is abuse aswell basically. You could also consider it pay2win.

thats how it works in all games, you can multibox in WoW and farm out gold as a maniac, that would be pay2win aswell. There is not much the devs can do about the alt situation other then making it not viable to spend more time on more then 1 character

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow lets go said:

Yeah, that's a good argument but i'm not sure I completely agree.  Using an Alt to gather the resources that your 1st character can't collect because of game limitations....You're still putting two different entities out there for others to hunt.  Where is the difference between doing that or having you and a friend do it?  What economic advantage do you gain by running an alt afk with passenger missions while your other character does a PB?  There is still two ships out there that are available for battle.  What you gain is your own time, and in a game like this where a cargo run can take several hours, where is the harm that you have another character that is doing something different?  Again, i'm not forgiving the actual abusers here, but running 5 alts that are all in OW doing their business, stikes me as Pay to play (more efficiently).  Still not seeing the harm.  Yes you are spending real world money to get ahead...but you are doing it as two (or more) separate characters.

19 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Yeah, that's a good argument but i'm not sure I completely agree.  Using an Alt to gather the resources that your 1st character can't collect because of game limitations....You're still putting two different entities out there for others to hunt.  Where is the difference between doing that or having you and a friend do it?  What economic advantage do you gain by running an alt afk with passenger missions while your other character does a PB?  There is still two ships out there that are available for battle.  What you gain is your own time, and in a game like this where a cargo run can take several hours, where is the harm that you have another character that is doing something different?  Again, i'm not forgiving the actual abusers here, but running 5 alts that are all in OW doing their business, stikes me as Pay to play (more efficiently).  Still not seeing the harm.  Yes you are spending real world money to get ahead...but you are doing it as two (or more) separate characters.

That's the point.. Us the regular guy with no alt are stuck doing boring stuff before being able to do the fun thing while our friend multiboxing can have pvp and do the eco run.

Just now, Tortue Agile said:

That's the point.. Us the regular guy with no alt are stuck doing boring stuff before being able to do the fun thing while our friend multiboxing can have pvp and do the eco run.

Indeed.  But does that reach the level of abuse?  I'm not saying you MUST pay the extra money in order to have as much fun as the Alt guy, but isn't it a choice and not a necessity? 

11 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Indeed.  But does that reach the level of abuse?  I'm not saying you MUST pay the extra money in order to have as much fun as the Alt guy, but isn't it a choice and not a necessity? 

Ofc its a choice, in a mobile game you can also choose to wait 72 hours to upgrade a building or you just pay to get it instant. Still p2w.