Game-Labs Forum

Make PVP zone in PVE work or introduce an "accept fight" button. DUEL SERVER?

I am having a rest perhaps never to go back to PVP for now. Because I simply do not have the time to waste chasing and getting held in battle repeatedly and losing time as traders are attacked etc. It's fun but gruelling, you cannot be AFK for the hours of trading, you must be watching constantly. When in battle you must be alert for unwelcome visitors that you cannot see coming in the open world (although if you attack larger ships this is fine). I notice that most of the good players make their money by ganking traders constantly. Rather than fighting warships, which they run from. But if everybody was able to do this their would be no economy. My responsibilities outside of the game prevent me from being at the PC constantly while trading. It's simply not possible for me to spend that much time in game.

For me the PVP mechanics do not support a reasonable nights play time. 

So I am on PVE for now but do crave some player vs player combat without the time wasting element. I had killed three attackers in a row before leaving. But the time involved was keeping me up until 3am on a work night. Because it was happening just as I needed to finish and go to bed. 

A solution for me was to have the PVP zone in PVE work. Perhaps it could be tailored for both people to accept the fight if people were still worried about getting ganked. Hell you could even make the whole PVE server attackable if the enemy accepted the fight. This way semi- organised fights could happen between players on PVE only if they wanted it. The server could almost become a DUEL server for those who wanted while all the people who want no part in any player vs player activity can just continue on and ignore the offer of a fight from another player.

I know that a lot of players on PVE would not mind the odd duel and I know a lot aspire eventually to go to PVP. A lot have retired from PVP. While others are just enjoying the atmosphere and the company of an age of sail game. They are really looking forward to port battles and AI attacks. THeir are 200 or so people on the server currently. Perhaps more would come back if the system above was basically one where they could enjoy doing whatever they felt like on a given night. Got time for PVP? Risk what you want to risk when you want. Organise a fight. If not just carry on fighting AI or trading. Organise a clan fight or a big fight. Just sail by somebody and press attack and see if they accept. Do what you want when you want.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Um. Hate to ask but why not just do the PvP zone on the PvP server?

Because on the PVP server you are not going to ever stop the trader ganking, time chasing, time being ganked along the way etc.

On the PVE all I want is a gentlemans agreement to have the "option" to fight other players for fun when and where I want. That is never going to happen on pure PVP. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Staunberg said:

I wouldn’t think it would hurt PvE server. They need more to keep ppl interesting. As long ppl can’t be forced, I see no problem.

But you miss the point.  There is a distinctly different feel to the Peace server, because there is NO PvP.  You would change the type of player that is attracted to it ... if you allow any PvP.   Be very careful about the type of player that you encourage to join.   Instead of risking  messing up the PvE server  you should make changes to the War server, because it is already saturated with a mindset that accepts PvP, competition, etc.  If you add PvP to the Peace server  it will change it.    It's a "Peace" server.

TTIQVtV.jpg

I think alot of people in pve would enjoy a bit of 'optional' pvp. Alot of you people saying this mans idea would disturb the tranquility of pve are rather silly. It would bring a certain spice to those who crave it, and would only be a minor annoyance to those who there who shudder at the thought of pvp!

PVE = PVE is not PVP, you want PVP ok back in PVP. No discutions more needed.

More seriously, i am happy to have no toxic mentality on this server, put an PVP option will attract and open toxic mentality. 

You want PVP on Patrol zone, ok go in Solo patrol PVP .

• Like 1

I would like to see similar RoE mechanics be implemented to NA as it was in old PotBS.

That was a good concept of combine pve and pvp in one place. Of course, pvp players often disturbed common known pve farms by turning it to the pvp arenas, but everybody always had a chose, to risk or not: ]

15 minutes ago, Immersive Ganking said:

Go to PVP serverif you want PVP. Oh no someone attack my trader on PVP server, that's so toxic, I go back to PVE server.

You realize you are part of the problem? Your name and the cynicism of your post double prove it. It's people like you who ruin the PvP part of this game. And it's people like you why the creation of PvE server was necessary at all. And if ever PvP is coming to PvE, I pray it will be with a switch like my suggestion was all about, because to your likes I will never allow to duel me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cetric de Cornusiac said:

Don't think this hasn't been proposed before, in some form.

Yep. You are right. Seems it has been discussed before. Should have checked. 
Additionally Admin seems to have rejected a very similar idea before in the other thread.

I am left between two worlds, too casual (nothing really challenging) or too professional (massive time commitment) for game modes. I will continue to follow and play with interest because I love the game though. I own every DLC available :)

Devs won't install PvP on PvE server simply because it means the end of PvP server....

PvE server didnt have exp wipe, so PvP there could happen with a still maxed account wo the need to lvl up against ganking and op nations.  Even if one has to lvl up, its a lot easier on PvE server, eg cargo/pass mishs are totally risk free.

Thus PvP on PvE server would be a lot easier than PvP on PvP server....aka RIP PvP server .

Even more so should they ever deliver clan based port ownership as announced months ago....

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Immersive Ganking said:

Give me one good reason why enemy traders should be left alone on pvp server.

Your toxicity is apparent to everyone in this thread.  Stop de-railing and address the topic, or leave.

I like the OP's suggestion, because it is all voluntary.  I'd like to leave such voluntary zones on the PVE server to a small area.  Still voluntary though.  Accept or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destraex said:

I am left between two worlds, too casual (nothing really challenging) or too professional (massive time commitment) for game modes. I will continue to follow and play with interest because I love the game though. I own every DLC available :)

Yep I feel as if both are sort of lacking from one another. What is war without the occasional peace? Accommodations should've been made from the beginning, because the option to be a civilian merchantman, or recreational non-combatant is not there on the War server. The game assumes everyone is at war with each other at all times, which imo isn't good sandbox. Mutual duels on Peace is not toxic because there is not a culture obligating you to take the battle. I think it would be beneficial as an option.

Edited by Slim McSauce
  • Like 2

Consensual duels are a halfway house between Compulsory PVP (war server), and none at all (peace server).

I'm quite staggered it hasn't been introduced on the Peace server, as it fills a large gap in the whole game's combat mechanics.

• Like 2

It would be end of pvp server. That is the reason why some guys here are so aggressively negative about it.

I think developers do not like the idea because of the same reason.

According to me it should be already on pve (peace whatever) server, but it will swap current online numbers, 600 on pve, 300 on pvp 😱

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

It would be end of pvp server.

Are you Sure, because this Port Battle thing, so called RvR would not be same on PVE or? Its just this small duell battles?!

So fleet against fleet actions like 20 vs 20 player would not be possible or?

I did not read all of the posts, so maybe i missed that infos.

40 minutes ago, AeRoTR said:

It would be end of pvp server. That is the reason why some guys here are so aggressively negative about it.

I think developers do not like the idea because of the same reason.

According to me it should be already on pve (peace whatever) server, but it will swap current online numbers, 600 on pve, 300 on pvp 😱

For Gamelabs a reversal of player numbers on our two servers should mean nothing, don't you think? - Player is player. What counts is the staying player, who will perhaps ask someone else who is not yet customer of NA to join him.

On the contrary, the reviews will become more positive and thus I would expect more player influx. Let the hardcore guys with their funny 'carebear' pictures fight it out among themselves in what will be left of their habitat.

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac
  • Like 1

It's always been a problem getting the balance between PVP play and peaceful resource gathering and AI farming right. I tend to want to do what I have time for.

If everybody was allowed to do that I guess their would be no easy targets for the commerce raiders and no 2hr chase by any defenders. Not that their are usually any..

This is why in PVE I would like to do peaceful resource gathering and AI battles while having the option to fight any who wanted to do PVP in the patrol zone.

• Like 2

I just found out the PVE server used to have PVP missions which used to work fairly well according to those on the PVE server. But that they were removed. So I have some searching to do on the forums here to see what happened exactly. I am guessing it would have been really early.

• 4 weeks later...

Alternately on the PVE server could we perhaps have the old in port PVP battle queue? Remember when we used to be able to join a PVP battle with a British lions or french fluer de lis flag by clicking a button in port and getting a battle?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Destraex said:

by clicking a button in port and getting a battle?

Oh, gawd I want that! 

38 minutes ago, Destraex said:

Remember when we used to be able to join a PVP battle with a British lions or french fluer de lis flag

I don't remember this, though.

• Like 1